eeneR

Men: What do you mean when you say "My partner"

Guys So if in a conversation at work with some one you make comment to "My Partner" what do you mean?

In a work context which this is from I take that as to mean his coworker he is paired up with.

However outside of work I have seen this more used for homosexual partners more so then heterosexual partners though it can be used both ways. Most straight guys I know would just say "girlfriend" or "lady friend"

So what do you take it as?
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

IMO, you're correct.

'Partner' is a non-romantic relationship, usually a professional relationship.

I refer to my SO's as my girlfriend.

edit to add: Someday I hope all homosexuals will feel comfortable in referring to their 'partners' as their girlfriend/boyfriend.

My friend always introduces his "law partner" since they own the law firm together, but I guess that could be misconstrued too.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Guys So if in a conversation at work with some one you make comment to "My Partner" what do you mean?

In a work context which this is from I take that as to mean his coworker he is paired up with.

However outside of work I have seen this more used for homosexual partners more so then heterosexual partners though it can be used both ways. Most straight guys I know would just say "girlfriend" or "lady friend"

So what do you take it as?

Simple truth -
At work - meaning and dealing with work - Partner would be coworker - like a cop has a partner.

Socially - He'd be Gay, Strait guys don't use this and know what it means.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It's wierd for men to be asked "what do you mean"? Unlike our feminine counterparts, we generally mean just what we say. :D

If talking about work, he meant an equal he works with.
If talking about home, he meant the person he sleeps with.
If talking about recreation, he meant a teammate of some sort.

Blues,
Dave

"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Sometimes I will use the word 'partner' to refer to a straight person's SO if I don't know their relationship status. I figure if you move in with someone they are your spouse; a lot of people don't agree so I look for another term. Girlfriend is really bad if they are married.
When I lived in Vancouver referring to a straight person's partner was no big deal. Now that I live in rural Alberta I think I would be looking for a punch in the face. :o

There is kind of gray area here. I work with him, though he and I have flirted back and forth for the last year. He was talking specifically about something that happened at work so my guess is that it is his work partner. The discussion was brought up that he was talking another way.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

There is kind of gray area here. I work with him, though he and I have flirted back and forth for the last year. He was talking specifically about something that happened at work so my guess is that it is his work partner. The discussion was brought up that he was talking another way.

Forget about him and come here.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun