iluvtofly

Skydiving on Mythbusters....Again

I just saw a preview for this weeks Mythbusters. They didn't go into specifics as to what the myths are but they're all airplane related. They showed a clip of throwing Buster out of a plane on what looked like a static line. They also showed a clip of Kari and Torry in a plane with tandem harnesses on. Anyone know where they did these jumps? I'm guessing somewhere in California.

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9801967776/m/5321919039/p/1

Airplane Hour
(Weds., December 12 at 9 PM ET/PT)
Adam and Jamie find out if either of them can safely land a Boeing 747-400 on a runway in varying weather conditions. Meanwhile, Kari, Tory and Grant risk life and limb to investigate skydiving myths regularly featured in Hollywood action films. Is it possible to catch up with someone in freefall if that person jumps out a plane before you do? Can you really hold a conversation during freefall? And would you survive if you opened your parachute only a few feet off the ground? Finally, Adam and Jamie carefully navigate their way through a myth that has baffled everyone from web bloggers to pilots. If a plane is traveling at takeoff speed on a conveyor belt, and the belt is matching that speed in the opposite direction, can the plane take off? Extensive small-scale testing with a super treadmill and a nearly uncontrollable model airplane don't completely resolve the myth, so our flight cadets supersize the myth with help from a willing pilot and his Ultralight flying machine

It's funny, even with me having almost 900 jumps and 2 instructional ratings, my dad still doesn't seem to believe me when I say I can jump out after someone else and catch up to them in freefall. :|

My parachute weighs the same whether it is open or closed. I change my fallrate by opening the container to modify its shape and volume.
:D

If a plane is traveling at takeoff speed on a conveyor belt, and the belt is matching that speed in the opposite direction, can the plane take off? Extensive small-scale testing with a super treadmill and a nearly uncontrollable model airplane don't completely resolve the myth, so our flight cadets supersize the myth with help from a willing pilot and his Ultralight flying machine

This isn't a myth, it's a comprehension question.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I was watching the morning news, this morning and they had a story about a 'birdsuit' flyer who wants to try landing in the suit and not use his parachute. Unfortunately, I went to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee and missed most of the story. Anyone see it?

Chuck

I was watching the morning news, this morning and they had a story about a 'birdsuit' flyer who wants to try landing in the suit and not use his parachute. Unfortunately, I went to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee and missed most of the story. Anyone see it?

Chuck

It can be done easily... just not twice by the same person.
;)

Chuck

I saw that too. You didnt miss much. They basically showed videos of low flying wingsuit base jumps, and mentioned that it is possiblwe to land one, but no one has done it.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

If a plane is traveling at takeoff speed on a conveyor belt, and the belt is matching that speed in the opposite direction, can the plane take off? Extensive small-scale testing with a super treadmill and a nearly uncontrollable model airplane don't completely resolve the myth, so our flight cadets supersize the myth with help from a willing pilot and his Ultralight flying machine

This isn't a myth, it's a comprehension question.

yes, but some people can not comprehend airspeed.

If a plane is traveling at takeoff speed on a conveyor belt, and the belt is matching that speed in the opposite direction, can the plane take off?

Omg, is that really a myth?

Who knew? It's the speed of the spinning wheels that provides the lift, not the silly wings...
Ohne Liebe sind wir nichts

If a plane is traveling at takeoff speed on a conveyor belt, and the belt is matching that speed in the opposite direction, can the plane take off?

Who knew? It's the speed of the spinning wheels that provides the lift, not the silly wings...

Obviously Bernuolli was an idiot:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Obviously Bernuolli was an idiot:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I meant to ask this yesterday but got too busy then forgot. It seems clear from the responses that the myth comes from not understanding that it's airspeed, not ground speed, that will get a plane to lift off.

I'm confused, however, over the wording above. Is that talking about a situation where the plane is basically stationary relative to the ground but has a conveyor belt whipping past underneath at take-off speed? If so, what's the myth? That the plane will take off or won't take off?

--Head
--
Turn off the internet! Join Citizens United Negating Technology For Life And People's Safety!

http://www.citizensunitednegatingtechnology.org/