iluvtofly

Skydiving on Mythbusters....Again

It's funny, even with me having almost 900 jumps and 2 instructional ratings, my dad still doesn't seem to believe me when I say I can jump out after someone else and catch up to them in freefall.

:DThis reminds me of a conversation my father (also a skydiver) had with a particularly thick-headed co-worker. Said "gentleman" absolutely refused to believe it was possible to maneuver oneself in the air, since it is a "frictionless environment". He said to my dad's face that RW is simply impossible, that my father was lying, and that the video was doctored. (no shit, I'm not even making this up).

Anyway, after awhile my dad got pretty irritated and asked this guy "ok, how do planes maneuver around then?".

"Because planes have ENGINES!":S:S
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Who knew? It's the speed of the spinning wheels that provides the lift, not the silly wings...

Ya know, I remember from my aerodynamics course that a spinning cylinder does in fact create lift, so long as the fluid is viscous, because the air on top is moving faster relative to the cylinder than the air on bottom.:D:D

Of course, that still requires the cylinder to be moving relative to the air.:S

But I have to agree... that's a myth?!? WTF?
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

>
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

What about them pesky gliders:o

Special effects, same as tandems.

Of course they never do a good job editing. You can always see the line that holds them up. :|
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I'm confused, however, over the wording above. Is that talking about a situation where the plane is basically stationary relative to the ground but has a conveyor belt whipping past underneath at take-off speed? If so, what's the myth? That the plane will take off or won't take off?

It think they're just trying to pose the question in a confusing enough way that Joe Average can't grasp it. Sure, you could speed up the conveyor so that the force of thurst equals the friction in the wheels. I have to believe that they have enough engineers on staff that they'll do it right. I'm sure they'll have Grant actually understand it and Kari play the part of the airhead who doesn't get it.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

It think they're just trying to pose the question in a confusing enough way that Joe Average can't grasp it.

My experiences as a college math instructor says Joe Average doesn't get math or physics in general.

Phht! Math is hard. Lets go to the mall instead! :)
Remster

It think they're just trying to pose the question in a confusing enough way that Joe Average can't grasp it.

My experiences as a college math instructor says Joe Average doesn't get math or physics in general.

Phht! Math is hard. Lets go to the mall instead! :)

Dude, you have the wrong hair color.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Probably about 30 seconds after the episode ends...

I really do dislike the Whuffo perspective though.
Calling an arched, belly-to-earth position a "spread eagle" or calling head-down a "bullet position" is just...misinformed. If they were at Sky Dance they could have at least asked someone.

Plus, I do think that their idea of the last sky diving scene in Point Break taking 90 seconds was pretty absurd. On film it took that long, but that's because of how it was cut. You could have easily said that that scene wound up being more like 45 seconds or so.

Meh, it wasn't great, but I suppose it didn't suck. I wish one of them would have done a static line or an AFF though. That would have been a bit more interesting.
There's no such thing as free will; everything is dictated by the Uncertainty Principle.

It was entertaining...for the most part. The only thing that I really did not like was seeing Buster bounce. I know he's not real and it's just a Simulaid, but the image of seeing a human form hit the ground from freefall is very disturbing. They played that scene (and the scattered appendages) several times over. :|

_Pm

__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Kari didn't jump. She sucks

So did the episode. Although it was kind of cool seeing that crash dummy burning in.

Too bad they didn't cover other such important whuffo topics like "what happens when you're 'chute' doesn't work" and "what if the backup 'chute' doesn't work?" They usually interview some sort of semi-expert in the field of study, but they went ahead and did none of that and blew off 3/4s of an episode on crap when there are other skydiving myths that would have been great for TV.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Glad I didn't watch it if it sucked that bad. I figured watching "The Polar Express" with my little girl was more fun. :P

How do you lip read animated cartoons:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Glad I didn't watch it if it sucked that bad. I figured watching "The Polar Express" with my little girl was more fun. :P

How do you lip read animated cartoons:D:D:D

Closed Captioning.... DUH

Oh and by the way, it DID have a nicely done skydiving/base jump RW scene by the elves... B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban