Mr.Bill

portable GPS for the car.

I'm sure you could find some good info using the search functions on this site.

Here's one: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1400788;search_string=gps;#1400788

granted it's an old thread... but a little effort will help you find what you're looking for. :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

What features should I be looking for?

1) The name on the unit should be Garmin. The user interface and menus are very important and Garmin has, by far, the easiest to deal with.
2) If you live in an area where traffic is a serious issue, such as Los Angeles, it should absolutely have Traffic Rerouting. Time saved more than pays for the service.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

gpsmagazine.com IMHO is by far the best site on the web to get really in-dept, unbiased reviews.

As for what you want to look for - I agree with what Quade said - Garmin is the best GPS company on the market. Having said that, I personally use Magellan. They are also a good company, that offers a quality product at an affordable price. But you either love them, or you hate them - there is no in between.

Reasons why I use the Magellan Maestro 4040 is because, truthfully, for 1) I like their map screen interface; all the streets are labeled, it has a compass that displays what direction I'm headed, and it displays what street I'm on and not just the street I''m supposed to turn on. The Triple A tour-book is REAL NICE as well - it has over 6 million points of interests, such as restaurants, bars, clubs, gas stations, hotels, public parking lots, SOME DROP ZONES - most with descriptions, and all with contact information.

So it just depends on what you like. My advice is just do some reading, and see what you like. :)
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

What features should I be looking for?

1) The name on the unit should be Garmin. The user interface and menus are very important and Garmin has, by far, the easiest to deal with.
2) If you live in an area where traffic is a serious issue, such as Los Angeles, it should absolutely have Traffic Rerouting. Time saved more than pays for the service.

I just got a Garmin nuvi a week ago and have been using it since the day it came, I have yet to open the instruction manuel! The thing is simple and works, I like it!

I have been using the Garmin Nuvi 660 for a couple of months and really like it. It has all the extra features you may or may not use(mp3 player, picture viewer, world clock, currency converter, bluetooth, fm transmitter and traffic receiver.) The traffice updates are free for the first 3 months and It has saved me over an hour in a traffic jam the first week I had it. Keep in mind it will only be as good as the fm traffic radio in your area and how often they update it. I think it costs about $60 a year after that. They sell at Best buy now for $799 but you can get it from Newegg.com right now for $489 and probably no tax depending on where you live.
www.lukeevens.com
http://beachbodycoach.com/lguard8

A GPS is what my girl has been wanting for a couple of years now so I finally looked into it and purchased a Garmin 550c. I checked the www.pcmag.com website for reviews. This was one that wasn't too much, but had the necessary features...traffic info! Pricing wasn't too bad. I ended up getting it from PCRUSH.com, who seemed to have the most reasonable price. Going on to PCMag's website will allow you to see where you can buy it and for how much and whether or not they are new or refurbished, etc.

Good luck!

SA B|

I have been reading up on GPS`s a little. As for features, The Voice Navigation/Text to Speech seems to be VERY important for many people (The GPS Says the NAME of the Street that you are about to turn on instead of Just turn right 500 feet).
The Garmin Nuvi`s seem to be the most popular by far.

The 200 Series is the newest series (Newest Maps)
200 Is very basic
250 has a few more features and comes with Maps for Mexico and Canada too.
260 has Text to Speech.
270 has All North America Maps and Europe Maps too but no Text to Speech.

None of these have Bluetooth or Real Time Traffic.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=134&compare=compare&compareProduct=9160&compareProduct=6324&compareProduct=9121&compareProduct=11017&compareProduct=9316

Next is the 300 Series
This is actually the older model that may not come with the latest Maps (But the Maps can be updated if you call Garmin). the biggest difference is this series is compatible with FM Traffic Updates, Have MP3 Players and Picture Viewers
350 has text to speech.
360 has Text to Speech and Bluetooth.
370 everything Plus Europe Maps.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=134&compare=compare&compareProduct=339&compareProduct=6290&compareProduct=6291&compareProduct=8577

Hope that helps. I am looking at getting the 260. It has everything I want (TTS and newest Maps) and doesn’t have the things that I don’t care about (MP3 Player, Picture Viewer.)

very helpful recap. i am thinking of getting my girlfriend a GPS for xmas, so this will make my life a lot easier. does anyone have a recommendation for cheapest place to purchase one? i have a 25% off coupon for sports authority right now, so that might be my best bet.

Thanks J!
I was looking at the two models you have picked also...the 350 is on sale at Circuit Shitty for $350, so it's cheaper here anyway.
But your other link has me going by Costco on the way home...if I can get the 650 for only $299, I'm all over that bitch!
B|

My host mum just asked me what GPS she should get for her doughter. I read a bunch of stuff and tested them and ended up telling her to get a Mio C230 for $149. I know that it has certain disadvanteges and a bunch of features are missing. But after talking with her we decided that those fancy features are just not worth paying something like 700$. If I would have bought one I would have gone exactly with this one just because I would need it to navigate and all of them to a similar job there.
I agree though that it would be worth spending more money for one with traffic data if you are living in a really crowded are.