woodpecker

2's complement

I'm trying to convert 625 into its 12-bit 2's compliment and cant get my head around this easy conversion.

When I convert 625 directly to binary I get

00 0110 0111 0001 but cant remember what to do in order to change it to 12-bits.

Can I just drop the first two zeros? When I did that it changed the variable, thus the question.

thanks in advance,

BS
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

So its okay to just drop numbers on the left to make it work and the computer will just fill them in as need be?

I ask because when I run the new binary number (minus the two 0's) it doesnt represent 625 anymore.

>:(

We jumping tomorrow?

SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

It's ages since I did this in school, so I'm a bit rusty... NOBODY does this shite!! Only school kids.

Sorry, I have chores to do sunday.... before I pick the Muvver-In-Law up next week:(

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I'm trying to convert 625 into its 12-bit 2's compliment and cant get my head around this easy conversion.

When I convert 625 directly to binary I get

00 0110 0111 0001 but cant remember what to do in order to change it to 12-bits.

Can I just drop the first two zeros? When I did that it changed the variable, thus the question.

thanks in advance,

BS

you do drop the first 2 zeros, dont know if there were needed in the first place in the problem or what but a 2's complement is just an inversion of all the bits plus 1

so 0110 0111 0001
becomes 1001 1000 1110
then add 1 so final answer is: 1001 1000 1111

if you have a TI-89 calculator it will do it for you too as well as conversions to hex and decimal from binary and vice versa