popsjumper

Smarter than the equipment you're using

LouDiamond recently posted a statement similar to that and it gotmethinking...

So, are you smarter than the equipment you use?

I am forced to use Microsoft Word. It thinks it is smarter than me but it does some really stupid crap. Should I be offended?

I use this microwave oven that almost requires you to have an Expert Operator's License to run it. Push this button, then push that button, then do...Do I go for the license or buy a different model?

I use a stopwatch that has so many functions on it that even IT doesn't know what it's doing half the time. Should I can it for a stupider one?

..and what happens when you do finally find equipment that isnot as smart as you? Do you get bored with it and hide it in the closet because you are ashamed of it?

(random thoughts at 3:15 am)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

....Along those lines....What do you do with your watch when the time changes and you can't find the little bitty sheet of directons it came with? :P

give it to one of your grandkids..... (((DUCKS and runs for cover)))

trust me, my "grama" is gona beat me for that one. :o
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

You better be ducking!!!! B|B| I'm actually pretty good with most things mechanical or electronic if I still have the directions, it was just the watch that had me stumped. I did manage to change mine last time (new watch, of course), but I have no clue how. I just kept pushing buttons until i did it. My gas furnace and I have the same arrangement. The pilot light goes out and I push, hold, turn until it finally starts.

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

When I was young and the most high tech thing I had was an 8 track plug in that could play cassettes.
I owned a watch that needed to be wound every day. My typewriter did not need to be plugged in.

Now I burn DVDs, work out with a IPod, and have not used whiteout in decades (thank god for spell check) and my clock sets itself (atomic clock).

I can not wait to see what the next 50 years brings.

You better be ducking!!!! B|B| I'm actually pretty good with most things mechanical or electronic if I still have the directions, it was just the watch that had me stumped. I did manage to change mine last time (new watch, of course), but I have no clue how. I just kept pushing buttons until i did it. My gas furnace and I have the same arrangement. The pilot light goes out and I push, hold, turn until it finally starts.

In spite of what some people say its a good idea to read and keep the directions. :)

Especially if we live old enough to forget what the the directions said. :)
Just gotta come up with a system that works for you so you'll be able to find the directions in the future when you forget where you put them:ph34r:

Anyone see my glasses:D

I am forced to use Microsoft Word. It thinks it is smarter than me but it does some really stupid crap. Should I be offended?

Oh my God, Yes; and I am dead serious. I'm a life-long WordPerfect pilot; and now I, too am forced to use that goddam MS Word that tries to tell me it knows better than I do what I want to do. Fuckin thing. If MS Word were a person I'd shoot it in the head. That right there is a good argument against gun control.

I actually have an 8-track or two still around somewhere and my slide rule i used in high school. I love all the new stuff. Digital cameras have film beat all to hell. I still have an undeveloped film collection somewhere. I'm with you. What's next?

POPS #10490

....Along those lines....What do you do with your watch when the time changes and you can't find the little bitty sheet of directons it came with? :P

I have extra watches, some are set for standard and some for DST....never been a big fan of hassle & bs. :)
"T'was ever thus."

In spite of what some people say its a good idea to read and keep the directions.

Especially if we live old enough to forget what the the directions said.

Just gotta come up with a system that works for you so you'll be able to find the directions in the future when you forget where you put them

Anyone see my glasses

Yeah, it's the where I put them thing. I have directions to stuff that I haven't had in years, but current stuff...... Well, I started a direction drawer, like the junk drawer we all seem to have. I've got to laugh about my tv directions. I got it set up and working and threw out all the packaging and directions in other languages and so on, keeping the English version. Well, the first time the power went out and I had to figure out how to get it going again, I pulled out the directions. Spanish!!! Well, I speak a little Spanish, but not techie Spanish. I eventually got it working. I repeated that each time the power went out, eventually figuring out what I needed to do. A few months ago I ran across the direction book again....and turned it over......There was the English!!!! :$

POPS #10490

I have extra watches, some are set for standard and some for DST....never been a big fan of hassle & bs. Hell, anymore....it's easier and cheaper to buy a new watch, than change the battery. That's what I like about altimeters....just wind 'em & go!

I haven't found a watch yet that I bothered to change the battery.

POPS #10490

Here's a great alternative to Microsoft Word ... it probably won't outsmart you. :ph34r:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

hahaha i cant say ive ever encounterd a peice of "technology" that ive been smarter than! Im the least into technology i think an 18 year old can be and it seems im just getting further and further behind everyday with all these iphones and all this other ridiculos pointless stuff i think im the one who has been sent to the closet for not being "up" on the times!! But oh well ill just go hug a tree!!!:D

What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail...

My gas furnace and I have the same arrangement. The pilot light goes out and I push, hold, turn until it finally starts.

In spite of what some people say its a good idea to read and keep the directions. :)

That's what happened to the directions, in the first place.....used 'em to light the furnace. :|
"T'was ever thus."

I have extra watches, some are set for standard and some for DST....never been a big fan of hassle & bs. Hell, anymore....it's easier and cheaper to buy a new watch, than change the battery. That's what I like about altimeters....just wind 'em & go!

I haven't found a watch yet that I bothered to change the battery.

The days of getting a watch fixed (for us poor folks) are long gone, no workee too bad so sadB| go by a new one:ph34r:

This new techie stuff (cell phones, I pods, VCR's digital camera's, Mario) is so confusing for us old farts that don't have kids or grandkids. Some needs to start a rent a kid center.:ph34r:
One Jump Wonder

I quit using watches... My Palm Treo/cell service automatically adjusts to the time zone I'm in (for road warriors who bounce all over the country) and adjusts for DST.

Make MS Word go away.... Use openoffice.org and its free.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

and my clock sets itself (atomic clock).

My clock sets itself too. Unfortunately, it does so based on the daylight savings calendar in effect when it was built. This year the dates for changing our clocks were moved to supposedly reduce energy consumption, so my clock is out of whack. I had to manually fix it when it changed itself early, then manually set it again when daylight savings actually kicked in.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

This new techie stuff (cell phones, I pods, VCR's digital camera's, Mario) is so confusing for us old farts that don't have kids or grandkids. Some needs to start a rent a kid center.

For an old lady, I do pretty good with most technology. I've got the cell phone, MP3 player and digital camera pretty well whipped. It does take me a few minutes longer and I usually rely on the dircetions though.B|B|

POPS #10490