base363

Vectran Brake Line Replacement Tips

Canopy panel or suspension line? Sounds like a reference to a round parachute.

Is it an alteration or minor repair to replace the brake line below the finger trap? This portion of the canopy would have no stress during the opening shock.

What is the definition of a large patch? All these situations could be left to interpretation.

Sandy Ried just published a really good manual for the FAA on repairs. Its called the Parachute Riggers Handbook. I've got a PDF of it but its 50 megs if you want it.

Here are his thoughts (and its a published FAA doc so its a valid reference now ;))

Parachute Repair Procedure
TITLE: 7.1.9 Square Canopy – Main Line Replacement
NUMBER OF PAGES: 2
APPLICABLE PRODUCTS: Square main canopies.
DESCRIPTION: Replacement of main suspension lines of square canopies.
AUTHORIZED REPAIRMEN: FAA Senior or Master Parachute Rigger
MATERIALS: E thread
MACHINES: 308 Zigzag—Medium Duty 7-11 SPI
1" x 42 stitch bar tack [Optional]
EQUIPMENT:
Scissors
Seam ripper or scalpel
Marking pencil
6" ruler
Finger-trapping needle
60 pound fish scale or equivalent
PROCEDURE
Note: Many of the modern canopies are using Spectra® or other aramid fibers in place of nylon or Dacron lines. These materials are stronger, lighter, and less bulky. An example is the 825 pound Spectra® line common on many main canopies. The strength is higher but the bulk is smaller than the 525 pound Dacron used in the past. Accordingly, the techniques needed to work this material are more refined and precise.
1.0 DISASSEMBLY:
1.1 Lay the canopy out on one side and straighten the lines.
1.2 Remove the damaged line. If the cascade is undamaged, remove the cascade line from the junction of the main line. If the cascade is damaged, remove it as well.
2.0 REASSEMBLY:
2.1 Cut a new main line approximately 24" longer than the old one.
2.2 Finger-trap a loop at the connector link end
[Figure A]. Make sure that the size of the loop duplicates the original or adjacent
lines. If the loop is made too small, there may be difficulty in changing connector
links or risers as needed. Sew the fingertrap with either a zigzag or bar tack.
7-27
7-28
2.3 Pre-tension the line. With Spectra®, load the line with approximately 30 pounds for 30 seconds.
Place the line on the connector link.
2.4 Feed the running end of the line through the slider and directly to the line attachment tape on the canopy. Make sure that there are no twists to the line or it is around the other lines. Run through the attachment tape and re-create the original knot [Figure B].
2.5 Tension the line using adjacent lines for reference [Figure C].
2.6 Mark the location for the entry point for the cascade line [Figure D].
2.7 Cut a piece of line approximately18" longer than the original cascade.
2.8 Finger-trap the cascade into the main line and sew with either a zigzag or bar tack
[Figure E].
2.9 Attach the main line to the line attachment loop as per the original knot configuration.
2.10 Tension the line against the adjacent lines and secure the knot [Figure F]. Repeat with the cascade.
2.11 Finger-trap the running end of the lines and sew with either a zigzag or bar tack [Figure G].
3.0 INSPECTION:
3.1 Check the length of the main line and the cascade line under tension against adjacent lines.
3.2 Check stitching such as zigzag or bar tacks.
3.3 Check line continuity.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

:)
AC105-2 is about parachutes: round & ram air, the 2 categories Minor Repairs & Major Repairs are for both types.

Changing ANY line on a parachute is a Major repair !!!

The second mistake that was shown on that subject is changing the BRK-TOG line to Dacron without the mfg. approval. The mfg. "ICARUS" use Vectran for a reason & riggers should not change it.

It should be replaced by the same material & done to the same spec. as the original & by a Master Rigger.

Safe Rigging !!!

:)
I have a hard copy of the book. The book is good &
Sandy Reid from Rigging Innovations did a great work creating the book.

Regarding the Main Line Replacement they are 3 points that I'll point on:

1. AUTHORIZED REPAIRMEN: FAA Senior or Master Parachute Rigger.

Must be a Master Rigger only !!!

2. What about line shrinkage consideration.

3. A 42 bartack will be better as a sewing method & a Center start/stop (PD style) is the best.
The length & width of the bartack should be as the original.

Note: Glide Path Int. used 304 zig zag with Red E/69 nylon thread on their canopies & that should be followed.

Safe Rigging !!!

anyone having problems downloading this? I am, won't open completely. I just get the opening page and that's it.

\

I suggest right-clicking on the link and choose "save as".. save it to your desktop. then once it's finished downloading, double-click the file on your desktop. I hope this helps

Chris

Changing ANY line on a parachute is a Major repair !!!

Again that depends where you are, in the uk, it's minor if it's on a main, even a reline. Major if it's on a reserve.

The second mistake that was shown on that subject is changing the BRK-TOG line to Dacron without the mfg. approval. The mfg. "ICARUS" use Vectran for a reason & riggers should not change it.

I thought FAA riggers could make alterations. If they can't, then can they only assemble reserves into the particular containers they were tso'ed in?

Nullius in Verba

just for clarification:
In the United States, Main parachutes do not have to be TSO'd
I could fabricate my own main, its line set, and install it, then jump it.
But I could not replace a line on a production main provided with tech specs?

This is not my understanding. I have always read the reg to state that senior riggers can replace lines on mains, not reserves.