base363

Vectran Brake Line Replacement Tips

:)
Be advised that replacing the LST is a major repair & must be done by a Master Rigger even it's a main canopy.

Doing it wrong might put the canopy into a problem
during deployment & flight.

If you never did it before let it be done by a Master Rigger who have the ability & the tools for that.

Safe Rigging !!!

Be advised that replacing the LST is a major repair & must be done by a Master Rigger even it's a main canopy.

Not in the US, the FAR's are very clear about this:

(b) No person may pack, maintain, or alter any main parachute of a dual-parachute system to be used for intentional parachute jumping in connection with civil aircraft of the United States unless that person—

(1) Has an appropriate current certificate issued under this subpart;

(2) Is under the supervision of a current certificated parachute rigger;

(3) Is the person making the next parachute jump with that parachute in accordance with §105.43(a) of this chapter; or

(4) Is the parachutist in command making the next parachute jump with that parachute in a tandem parachute operation conducted under §105.45(b)(1) of this chapter.

Derek

When it came time to replace the brake lines on my Safire, I replaced them with Dacron. Not significantly more bulk for just those, and more resistant to abrasion. And that's pretty easy...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I agree with the dacron approach too. I used 600lbs for the whole deal, not just the toggle end. They will last longer than the original line set anyway. Very easy to work with and bartak/sew. Leave yourself enough at the toggle end so you can lengthen them if you need to.
my pics & stuff!

I replaced the lower steering lines on a Crossfire I bought used (demo canopy). The canopy has a lot of jumps so I decided to replace at least the brake lines for safety reasons. I just replaced the lines from cascade to toggle because I’m not sure if I’ll keep or sell the canopy (long story). If I decide to keep it then I’ll have the whole lineset replaced.
How I did it: I measured the original lines and used them to cut the new ones (as it is Vectran I was not concerned about shrinking). If you have the line specs for your canopy it would be even better. To lock the fingertraps I used Jump Shack’s method (no sewing):

http://www.jumpshack.com/default.asp?CategoryID=TECH&PageID=Nosewtrap&SortBy=TITLE_A

Safe skies

Ronaldo
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

This will be of limited help as i have limited knowledge, but here are my 2 cents:
I know nothing about the installment process, but i jump an older safire1 and just put vectran lines on it, rather a rigger did. for details on that email chuting star rigging loft. i love the lines, openings are even better that before, the flare still sucks. and i guess the lines are much more resistant to shrinkage so they stay in trim better. Anyway, vectran was a good choice, got em from icarus. couple PST guys encouraged the vectran too so i trust them, im happy! be safe, clear skies
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

All of our senior staff rigs have Icarus canopies with vectran lines, I don't bother with bartacking on control lines anymore just do it the same as Jumpshack do on the firebolt canopies.

Make sure your scissors are sharp.

Nullius in Verba

Very interested in the stitchless finger trap. However, the diagram? I've been a rigger for 16 years, and can't quite visulize this proceedure. Are there any better pictures out there? I'm sure it will be a "Oh, I see" moment. But, until then?

Very interested in the stitchless finger trap. However, the diagram? I've been a rigger for 16 years, and can't quite visulize this proceedure. Are there any better pictures out there? I'm sure it will be a "Oh, I see" moment. But, until then?

I thought the diagram was quite clear. I tried to explain it in words but I think I would just confuse you more. Try find sombody who can show you.:S

Nullius in Verba

I did a search for this earlier, and I don't think I'm the only one that has trouble visulizing this. There was mention of a better series of pictures, but the link didn't work. Since the closest DZ is 400 miles away, having someone just show me isn't much of an option.

It is not a lecture, changing the Brake Lines "LST"
is a Master Rigger work even on a main canopy.

Safe Rigging !!!!

Nope. According to the FAR's, I can change the lineset on my own canopy if I want.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

In the US it's not a job that must be done by a master rigger. It might be in other countries.

As a skydiver, I can build my own main parachute, as long as it's on a TSO'd harness, and has a TSO'd reserve packed by a rigger.

If it's a BASE rig then it's up to my good judgment.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It is not a lecture, changing the Brake Lines "LST"
is a Master Rigger work even on a main canopy.

That might depend where you are, here in the UK line replacments are minor repairs on mains, even entire relines, on reserves it's major work. AFAIK all work on mains in the USA is on uncertified canopies so it doesn't even require a riggers ticket!

Feel free to correct me if me if I'm wrong

Nullius in Verba

Here we go again....

There are two types of parachutes in the FAA world; approved and non-approved.

When reading the FAR's understand that it will read as such in the language.

Repairs are classified as major and minor, not certificated and non-certificated repairs.
That means you can have major and minor repairs to both approved and non-approved parachutes.

65.111 is usually misunderstood by most as it has cloudy wording and needs to be clarified to as such.

But look at paragraph 12 in the link here...
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/c96c33525870370c862569de005bd7aa/$FILE/AC105-2c.pdf

Ther are numerous other readings that will reflect that line replacement to a parachute(non-certificated) is considered a major repair.

Therefore a master rigger or the manufacturer can only do the work in the USA.

MEL
FAA DPRE
FSDO-CAE-13

and
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com