JumpinJules

Winter jumping w/snow

We just got the first actual accumulation of snow last night, and we're supposed to get another 5-6 inches on Saturday. I'm lucky enough to jump at a dropzone that operates year-round... and although I'm sure I'll get more helpful advice once I get up there on Sunday... I'm nervous! It'll be my first time jumping in snow. I'm not worried about the snow however as much as I'm worried about my face shield freezing up and me colliding w/someone in the air... newbie jitters I guess. Any insights?
Into the great wide open/ under them skies of blue/ out in the great wide open/ a rebel w/out a clue.....

the best thing to do with a full face helmet in the winter time is to remove the lens and just use a pair of goggles with it....That eliminates the fog or frost problem,which is a very real danger. Mine has fogged or frosted over on me several times before I started removing it for the winter months.....also just remeber to not flare too high on landing. Thats a common mistake made especially if the sun is really reflecting off the snow. Have fun, it's definitly a very different experience jumping in the snow.

Julie--You will get a full "jumping in winter" briefing before you jump. You'll get the whole what to do if you fog up, how to prevent and minimize fogging up, how to judge your flare with the snow, and everything in between. You're accuracy will improve ten fold. Since we can't get the wind sock pole in the ground, the beer line is gone. You'll find it very useful to land close to the clubhouse so you don't have to walk through 2-3 feet of snow to get to the clubhouse.

The elimination of the beer line also means observers beware. It a free pass for a certain S&TA to swoop the clubhouse and you.

I'll fill you in on Sunday. Relax, we will not let you go up without the stuff you need and the knowledge to deal with the cold and snow.

Lots of people got into the woods and hunt this time of year.

I AM THE WUFFO HUNTER. Winter rules rule.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

haha Of course that would be coming from Todd ;)

I know I'll get more than a full briefing once I get up there... and I knew you guys would probably be seeing this first anyway ;) But I'm worried about my face shield though... and goggles instead of the full face?! BURR!! Mary showed me those little plastic things to breathe through.... do they work? I was looking through something when I was up there on Sunday and there was a picture of a guy whose face shield was completely froze over in freefall... yikes!!

Not to mention my "pulling at 500 ft." and "malfunctioning canopy" dreams have been in full force lately :o

Into the great wide open/ under them skies of blue/ out in the great wide open/ a rebel w/out a clue.....

I have never had my face shield fog or ice up in freefall. Even on the helicopter jump where it was -5F on the ground. Under canopy is where it will get you. We'll talk about utilizing the gap by your nose between the shield and helmet. The butt plugs do work a little bit better than not having them but the key is to make sure that your breathing through your mouth through the hole and not with your nose. I get in the habit of screaming the count during the summer and then have to relearn to not do it in winter. I've landed several times with my helmet propped up on my head. You will be fine. I repeat you will be fine. Just stay close to the building when Todd is coming in.

I have never had my face shield fog or ice up in freefall. Even on the helicopter jump where it was -5F on the ground. Under canopy is where it will get you. We'll talk about utilizing the gap by your nose between the shield and helmet. The butt plugs do work a little bit better than not having them but the key is to make sure that your breathing through your mouth through the hole and not with your nose. I get in the habit of screaming the count during the summer and then have to relearn to not do it in winter. I've landed several times with my helmet propped up on my head. You will be fine. I repeat you will be fine. Just stay close to the building when Todd is coming in.

I'm not sure I want to jump with you.

That sounds like a lot of fun and I'm really looking forward seeing Todd swoop the clubhouse and the Wuffos;)

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna take the advice with the get a warm drink and stay in the Clubhouse, but you can bet that I'll do that just when there are no planes to give me a ride.

That's beer.

Of course it would, without a doubt, be a beer jump for me too so I can't really comment. I think jumping in snow will be fun though. I'm definitely looking forward to it.
There's no such thing as free will; everything is dictated by the Uncertainty Principle.

Any insights?

Move someplace warmer.

December, 1972, Rainbow Airport @ Franklin, WI was a sheet of ice.

January, 1973, everything that fit in or on top of my Pinto station wagon was on its way to CA and Elsinore!

Seriously, be careful if there is any uneven ice under a seemingly flat expanse of snow. Sort of like sticking your foot in a gopher hole hidden by grass on landing. I got a spiral tib - fib from that in February 1972.

Blue Skies!

Harry
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

I've worn a full faced helmets for the large majority of all my jumps, and in very cold, here are a few tips....

1) I keep my Visor open full, - then - half way open as I approach the door, waitin' to get out. Next, when when it's time to leave, visor full down.

2) As soon as I am under a sound canopy, I flip it up immediately, Yes. it gets a little chilly, but the airspeed issue is over so it's no problem for your eyes. If it gets cold you can pull it down full or even partial (depending on the helmet) again for a bit. I always have it wide open on every final approach, regardless of temperature -

To do that well you'll need to get in the practice of releasing the visor with your gloves on. Even with the Winter Tacktified I have no problem opening my Z1 - which is a pretty small release mechanism.

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

"The butt plugs do work a little bit better than not having them but the key is to make sure that your breathing through your mouth through the hole and not with your nose"

Ok maybe it's cause I'm from California and have no idea about jumping in the extreme cold and I don't have a full face helmet but, I almost spit my diet coke all over the screen:D:D:D

BTW you guys are brave. I jumped in the morning in january last year when it was in the upper 40's and BURRR!!!! I don't know how you do itB|:D:)

Fly like a girl

Winter jumping is the best! :D

I get to do all type of stupid landing tricks that I don't often have the balls to do when the ground is just grass and hard ass dry dirt.

I managed to pull of some fun downwind supermans this Saturday. :ph34r:

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P