DTOXX

I need a GIS mentor

OK, so my boss walks up and says, "You know that GIS system we talked about implementing, your now in charge of making that happen." :o

At first I thought, OK, I have a some idea on what I am up against... Now I am starting to think I don't have a clue.

As such I turn to the Dropzone forum for help. (I almost posted this in the Ask Sunshine thread but thought better of it?)

Is there someone here who is fairly knowledgeable in GIS and would LOVE to help a brotha out?

-------
D.T. Holder
SIMstudy

I know enough about GIS to get by (I use it weekly at work, and I've installed it) What kind of system are you wanting to implement? Just a single workstation? Or a server with multiple people able to connect? What kind of themes do you envision? How big of an area? Any idea what kind of extensions you will need to be using? My experience revolves more around the single workstation installations but we work with all kinds of data from many different sources.

I might be able to hook a brutha up. I have people who are smart on this that might be able to help you out. What is it you are trying to do exactly?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

We will most likely start with a single workstation installation but will be working towards providing data tables to clilents.

In short here is the vision:

We use ultrasonics to measure the thickness of pipes/vessels/tanks primarily for the petroleum industry. (this is state mandated/regulated work) We know that our clients, mainly large oil companies, are working on GIS systems for their regulated equipment. If we can gather the GPS data (thinking of using Trimble devices with error correction) while we are performing the inspections we can build our models of the pipelines and other equipment and then supply the same to the clients systems.

The area would be roughly 60x30 miles square. There will be 5 or 6 areas inside this area where most of the data will be congregated.

Themes= huh?
Extensions = huh?:D

I see the backend database as having the following fields associated with each data point.

Main table:
Unique ID
Lat
Long
Alt
Client
General Site
Specific Site
Sub Site
Equip. Type
Product
Temp
Flow
Size
Required thickness
allowable corrosion rate

Sub table:
Unique ID reference
Measurement date
Measurement thickness
Thickness remaining (calculated)
corrosion rate

Other fields and/or table will surely be added to make the data easier to migrate/incorporate into existing, or future, client systems.

There may be a CMMS tie in (Maximo, or MP2) and possible connections to other databases.)

I am already on the ESRI newsletter list and will be attending a user group meeting in Southern California next month. I am also considering the self paced training provided by ESRI and/or the instructor lead training in Sacramento CA or Redlands CA.

-------
D.T. Holder
SIMstudy

Main table:
Unique ID
Lat
Long
Alt
Client
General Site
Specific Site
Sub Site
Equip. Type
Product
Temp
Flow
Size
Required thickness
allowable corrosion rate

Sub table:
Unique ID reference
Measurement date
Measurement thickness
Thickness remaining (calculated)
corrosion rate

Our Locations and Readings Module meets this exact spec.

There may be a CMMS tie in (Maximo, or MP2) and possible connections to other databases

Maximo was bought by IBM and is moving the product away from "Maintenance operations" and into "IT Support". (Stupid in my opinion but as a Maximo Competitor, I LOVE it)

MP2 is completely obsolete and unsupported. Now that Infor bought Datastream. MP7i is the product they have been pushing for years now while trying to phase out all MP2 implementations.

Take a Look as SOMAX sometime. We specialize in going in after Maximo, Datastream/Infor and/or SAP Maintenance failed implementations and putting in a system that works.;)

If you could get up to Santa Rosa, Sonoma County has been using my software for years doing something very similar. I could put you in touch with some users there.

From your description, it sounds like you're supplying a product to a client who is already using GIS and you want to suppliment their data with yours. Is this correct?

If so, what sort of system(s) do they already have in place that you could interface with?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I am not sure what, if anything, they already have. I am simply estimating what we will need to include to cover possible request for data. Oil companies or notorious for saying they want one thing then act surprised when you give then exactly what they asked for and it doesn't do everything under the sun.

-------
D.T. Holder
SIMstudy