bigway

Sony advice

So I just bought a spare of the moment Home Theater system.

It is the Sony Dav-dz850Kw http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/18210_SONY_DAVDZ850KW_HDMI_HOME_THEATRE.aspx

On the box it says 1200w, though on all the reviews it says it only has 1000w.
Can anyone explain how this works for me?

Also, is there anyone that could give me their opinion on this system?

Once i got home i realised it may have been a bad purchase because it does not have Blu-Ray and my Playstation 3 does... So what is the point in having a DVD player in a home theater that is not up to comparisson of the PS3 that I already have.

Have i made a bad purchase?

Thanks.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Dunno why you would have purchased this if you have a PS3, that much is true.
On the flip side, if you needed a surround system, then use it solely for that use, and ignore the DVD player. If it was a good deal....
Amplification power can be rated so many different ways, it's not even funny. It's worse than LUX ratings.
Could be they're cumulating all the various outputs, could be they're rating only the sub at full power, dunno.
Looks like a decent system, but with a PS3, I'd probably have just bought a surround receiver with HDMI input. Oops, that's exactly what I did.:P

Dunno how you can use it if it's only HDMI out, no input. How are you running the audio of your PS3 now? HDMI out to your television? Or using the AV out of your PS3?
I don't see how you can use it, unless it's just HDMI into the second HDMI port of your television display? Maybe someone else has an idea

This is going back..... Maybe a bit more thought into this purchase would have been better.:|

I run my PS3 through my computer with Winfast DTV, Audio just through some little JBL creature speakers.

So is it a 'surround receiver' i should be looking for?

Ta,

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

It would've been 5 x 200w = 1000w + 200w Active Sub

Your PS3 has a Digital Optical Output, which you can use to connect to an Amp,
then use the HDMI to connect the PS3 to your TV (If it's a HDTV)
Make sure you go to the system settings and set the screen to 1080p, default is 720.

Look out for a Sony HT-SS1100, nice unit, £250 in the UK, or the HT-SF1100 for £350 which is the same but with floor standing speakers,
They both have 2 optical and 1 coax input so you can link PS3, Satellite/Cable and something else. It also has a built in FM Tuner.

If you have a bigger budget the STR-DA1200 7 Channel amp is very nice, £350 without speakers.

Hope this helps, I've taken a winter break from Skydiving to save up my money and conveniently now work in a Sony Centre :-)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

Your PS3 has a Digital Optical Output, which you can use to connect to an Amp,
then use the HDMI to connect the PS3 to your TV (If it's a HDTV)

HEy Nigel, This is what i have done minus the HDTV. That should be coming after xmas.

I ended up keeping the sony cinema and using the optical for my PS3 and then from the PS3 i use the RGB component leads to my tv. Later will be able to use HDMI out put to tv if all goes to plan.

So you work at a sony center? I own a gear store..... Wanna trade?? I need a Dmedia gizzmo for the ipod from sony. Maybe you need Something when you start jumping?

Just pretend that my business partner Dave Littlechild will not hook you up for a second and do a nice deal with me:D

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Hey bigway....

what is this dmedia gizzmo for your ipod .....
just baught the girlfriend an ipod for xmas...\
any new gizzmo's would be nice to check out...

Mike

=================
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

Well it is an ipod dock, simple as that. The thing is Sony wack on their plug input on their sony devices so you can only use sony products.

Unless you have a sony surround sound or receiver then dont even worry about it.
At the moment i just plug my ipod in with the 3.5mm plug but for style and looks i will soon need to invest in this $200 docking station just because sony likes to use their own products instead of the standard USB input.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

sometimes the power supply is what's posted as opposed to amplifier power.
I have one word for Sony advice - Yamaha.:P
I despise Sony products due to their shitty customer service and warranties....not to mention the Yamaha surround sound systems smoke the Sony on performance.