PrairieDoug

Question on Product Return

OK, so I bought a home theater system from Best Buy about 3 weeks ago (not a present). Now I've decided I want to upgrade and would like to exchange it, but I don't have all the original internal packaging. I have the box and the main styroform pads for the DVD player, but not all the rest.

Can I still return it? What would you do?

Thanks, Doug

Thanks for these replies. A restocking fee would be fair. The only stuff missing is some internal packaging... enough that they couldn't just put it back on the shelf as is to re-sell.

Doug

When you get the new stuff, could you use some of the internal packaging from it to replace what's missing in the boxes you want to return?
'Shell

OK, so I bought a home theater system from Best Buy about 3 weeks ago (not a present). Now I've decided I want to upgrade and would like to exchange it, but I don't have all the original internal packaging. I have the box and the main styroform pads for the DVD player, but not all the rest.

Can I still return it? What would you do?

Thanks, Doug

I would tell them that I will buy the upgraded stuff from them if they let me return it without a restocking fee. But that if they do charge a restocking fee ... I'll go to their competitor.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A lot of places have restocking fees regardless if you have everything it came in or not. I've been charged a restocking fee when I hadn't even opened the packaging.:|

Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.