SkyDivinRyan

NEW ALTIMETER

Well as bigway has expressed opinion can only be speculation at this point; however I’m glad this was posted as I was not aware of such a creature. I personally like having an analogous dial to help gage altitude and have such not spent much money on any digital altimeters, but this device could change that. Funny though the feature that stands out the most to me is the “ergonomic fit” this is something I would like to try out.

One thing I can think of that could be added onto this altimeter with its digital technology is an under canopy altitude siren – you know like 500’, 250’ 100’ kind of like what I understand the Neptune has.

neilp

One thing I can think of that could be added onto this altimeter with its digital technology is an under canopy altitude siren – you know like 500’, 250’ 100’ kind of like what I understand the Neptune has.

If it's on your wrist you're unlikely to hear it.

Pro-Track Pro-Dytter Optima Viso Alti-Track Neptune
Audible x x x x
Canopy Alert x x
Digital Visual x x
Analog Visual x
Logbook x x x

Note: visual and audible functionality doesn't really work at the same time,
so to utilise all features you'd require two.

Funny though the feature that stands out the most to me is the “ergonomic fit” this is something I would like to try out.

neil

I've seen and worn a prototype - but not jumped it. The ergonomic fit is, well, sweet. Really comfortable, really snug and not prone to moving around the back of the palm.

The person who was jumping it had nothing but positive comments - including the digital information on the back.

So I plan to order one as soon as it comes onto the market.

fergs

I have no interest in it only because I already have a visual altimeter and a logging audible. I don't personally like the idea of jumping an electronic visual without an audible as a backup. And since there are so many options for logging audibles, I guess I just don't quite get the point of this one. Maybe you can save some money with the right combination of this and a cheap audible, or of course no audible at all.

What I'm really curious about though is it's failure modes. Analog altimeters have a kind of nasty failure mode of just stopping. If you're not careful and check your altimeter often, you might think you're higher than you really are. Having digital brains behind the analog face could have its advantages.... maybe it returns to 0 when it detects a failure. Or maybe it has a miserable failure mode like slowing down and indicating higher than you are, but still moving.

If it fails like a regular analog, I just don't see why I'd want one, especially since I'd have to assume it'll fail more often than a standard altimeter. It'll be interesting to see how they work out.

Dave

I wouldn't expect it to fail like an analog because it isn't one. That needle is electronically controlled. It would be a worthwhile test to pull the battery while in the air and see what it does.

IMO, that's worse that analog, because you have the battery dependency. I'd want to couple it with a dytter on the notion that they both won't fail simultaneously. But it gives you the ability to have the asymmetric markings and squeeze 18k into a single rotaton of the dial. That'll cover every jump I've done but one.

that design wastes nearly a quarter of the face on altitudes that rarely come up. And the price for this military oriented design?

Actually, in reading the description, it sounds to me like it's not an analog (mechanical) altimiter, but like the altitrack, is software displaying on a dial. And yes, any electronic analog display can do a symmetric display. L & B's is the first sport oriented offering.

that design wastes nearly a quarter of the face on altitudes that rarely come up. And the price for this military oriented design?

It was designed specifically to do just that. Caters to the military market, where 30 000 feet, is 3 almost 4 times around the dial. This gives an approximation to where you are at all times (without having it watch it wind around-and-around-and-around, perhaps getting lost), while still giving the accuracy down low where you really need it.

One man's idea of a design flaw, is another man's key feature B|

Hey, the 20.000 ft scale of the altitrack is more than just a mimic. When you are at 2000 ft, the needle goes back at 20.000 ft and you have a very precise (2000-1800-1600-1400-1200-1000-800-600-400-200 ft ) indication.

I made 3 jumps with a prototype last year at the bussloo swoop competition (Netherlands).

Think about a digital (read electronic) altimeter with a analog scale.

Jurgen

What I'm really curious about though is it's failure modes. Analog altimeters have a kind of nasty failure mode of just stopping.

Big thing for me, being that for some reason I have horrible luck with gear in almost everything I do whether it be in the water or the air.. But my first analog alti failed when I was real low jump #s, it just stopped.. Falling, 8k, falling, still 8k, wtf, pull.

Atleast if my neptune fails, it should be pretty damn obvious, either an error code or a blank screen.. Doesnt help you much, but atleast you know it's all jacked up!

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Atleast if my neptune fails, it should be pretty damn obvious, either an error code or a blank screen.. Doesnt help you much, but atleast you know it's all jacked up!

You shouldn't make this assumption, Nate. I've seen very odd failures on dive computers, and anecdotally the Neptune appears to have a history of oddness with aging batteries.