vortexr1

(R)STEERING LINE BROKE TODAY,,WHAT WOULD YOU DO.

his result was as we all hope for ( successful ) but I beg to differ with your opinion that there was any evaluation beyond my steering line is broken..(there may have been but it was not clearly stated in his OP)..... and at 3300 feet a full assessment could be done if panic does not take control resulting in a knee jerk reaction. They have killed many that could have been saved. Look at the guy who cut away from a good canopy after a midair collision to his body. Not analyzing the situation is as bad as doing the wrong thing in my opinion and you can make up what ever you want if you get lucky and live but not if you are wrong and die........

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

Good job, Shawn.

One other thing about using rear risers....

You will want to discover your rear-riser stall point before you attempt to land on rears.

It's much safer landing rears knowing where the stall point is as opposed to NOT knowing.

Talk to your local instructors BEFORE you take any of this advice in here. Much of it is good, very good, but none of it includes ALL you need to know. This thread has given you some good stuff on just what questions to ask.

Have fun, dude, and fly safe!

Thanks. I have about 62 jumps now and have practiced rear riser braking,turns and things like that. Definitely good to be totally familiar with your canopy and how and what counters each action..I guess the main thing that i learned is like alot of you said, a good main with a minor problem is better than chopping.. I guess im more aware and when i had my second cut away due to tension knots (funny , only 2 jumps later,,) i tried working the problem out before chopping..It definitely is TOTALLY different cutting away the second time. Things go alittle slower and your more apt to try a few things to fix the problem before chopping....Like i said, i only have 62 jumps.But i feel ive been through tons of minor and major problems.So all good learning experiences....