cloudseeker2001

D.B jumped, would you?

So everyone knows that D.B Cooper made a very scary skydive into a terrible storm and no doubt that was a ride, but if you were that close to pulling it off, would you jump???????

The FBI says no, but I say most experienced skydivers would jump!!!!!!!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Maybe but definitely not when he jumped. The plane was supposedly on the way to Mexico.

With certainty, more survivable conditions would have become available on the trek south.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

You know, if the DB Cooper thing happened today and it was my DZ they came to for a rig I would find the smallest F'n canopy we had on the DZ and give that to the cops to give to the skyjacker. Why? Why the hell not. Think about it. You have the rush of your life leaving a jet plane you just robbed to open and not be able to see the canopy because the slider blocks the view of that 70-ish sq ft canopy.

And set the Cypres 5000ft high.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah, from what I remember he went aft, and could have jumped at any time. That plane could have covered a lot of ground in the time between them last seeing him, and discovering he was gone.

If he wasn't a skydiver then he had big cojones, for sure.

It seems odd that part of the money turned up but not all....maybe he dropped some of it.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Hell Yes.... what would that much money be in todays dollars;)

I have done plenty of night jumps... and a couple intentional tree jumps.... and I have jumped in pretty sketcy weather....and have jumped from jets.

A C-9 jump.. into the trees at night.. an exit from a jet.. no problem..and it is very doable.... sketchy... but I know that area well. I hunted it for years... From the East side of Silver Star up thru Indian Heaven the terrrain is not that bad.. the old trees there at that time... would have been preferable for a landing than in a clear cut at night.

I think he survived.. he was a criminal.. but I think he got away with it.

If am crazy enough to hijack an airplane, I am sure I would be crazy enough to jump.

I reckon he did a clear and pull at 10,000 ft. Then he spent the next few hours riding the storm up and down and landed hundreds of miles from where he jumped. Someone found the dead body with parachute and money. They buried the body, burnt the parachute and made of with the money for themselves.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

If am crazy enough to hijack an airplane, I am sure I would be crazy enough to jump.

I reckon he did a clear and pull at 10,000 ft. Then he spent the next few hours riding the storm up and down and landed hundreds of miles from where he jumped. Someone found the dead body with parachute and money. They buried the body, burnt the parachute and made of with the money for themselves.

Yeah Yeah...that's the ticket! :ph34r:

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

If the information I found on the internet is correct $1m in $20s would weigh 110lbs. That's a very easy jump with a tandem rig. In $100s it would weigh 22lbs. An easy jump with a conventional rig.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

your math is correct
a US banknote weighs only one gram
there are 454 grams in a pound
cooper jumped with all $20bills (i think)
so thats [(200000 / 20)/454] = 22lbs
so cooper exited with approx 25lbs (if you count whatever he used to hold the money)