DeadHead881

Private Pilots license

Well tomorrow i do my first flight of many toward my pilots license and i cant wait! i plan on going and getting my last couple AFF jumps done too the weather is finally lookin good! Any suggestions and words of wisdom for me on the pilots license?
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail...

Don't drink a lot of coffee or soda before your flights. :ph34r:

What beerlight said; you will be sore and tired at the end of an hour flight if you remain tense (I fully admit it's hard not to do, especially during your first several flights).

Practice, practice, practice...I used a small voice recorder to practice my radio calls. It's AMAZING how much different you sound to yourself when you play it back and listen! My big challenge was getting the info out F-A-S-T enough. I spoke too slowly. I practiced my radio calls EVERYWHERE...driving, in the shower, on the treadmill...so I didn't trip on my words when I was calling the tower.

I used to practice flying when I was folding laundry. I'd practice emergency procedures when I was working out.

Keep it in your head and it will be there when you need it, I found as a student...:$

HAVE FUN! :)

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Keep the shiny side up and don't hit anything:P

Relax have fun and welcome to the sky:)
My advice is study all your ground stuff before each lesson so you will be prepared. The more you do on your own the less you have to pay for ground training and the more you will get out of each flight. I also used the kings school interactive CD program. It helped me a lot. Also don't get discouraged. You may have days when you think you are not improving or you feel overwhelmed. Don't worry it's normalB|

Good luck!

Fly like a girl

What I learned in my many hours of riding in airplanes is to be a good pilot you have to have no job except for flying the jump plane. You have to drink heavily, smell funny and be a bitter bitter person who smokes at least 2 packs a day.

:P

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Any suggestions and words of wisdom for me on the pilots license?

Kershner wrote some damn fine books. Read 'em.
Machado is funny if you listen to his tapes, but I don't like his books as much.
Martha King . . . I defy anyone to listen to her and not fall asleep.

Fuel gauges lie; stick the f'in' tanks.

Buy a simple watch with an analog face. Fancier is NOT better if you can't read it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If you must fly, endeavor to never fly near the edges of the air.
If you insist on ignoring this fine piece of advise, then it behooves you to hit the edges of the air as softly and as slowly as possible.
Three good landings in a row is procrastination.
Zing Lurks

• Go buy a book called "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche. It was written in 1944... but it is the single best book about the act of flying I have ever read, bar none.

• Learning to fly is not a race. You will hit plateaus and get frustrated. Do not let this screw with you: don't compare yourself to anyone else. Your objective should be to be the best pilot that you can be, not to be a better pilot than someone else.

• Prepare for all your lessons, and keep at it. The learning process will be much easier if you can fly frequently (at least weekly). It will take you a long time and cost you a small fortune.

• Fast is slow, slow is fast. Relax.

• Stuff you have learned about skydiving does not necessarily apply to aviating. You are starting over. Most pilots will have absolutely no understanding of why you would ever want to leave the aircraft. That's okay. Most skydivers also have no idea why you would want to stay inside, right? ;)

• Do not, under any circumstances, buy an aircraft.

• Good luck and have fun!

Steep Turns Suck Ass.

Buy 2-3 pairs of cheap, dark as hell sunglasses. You will break a few pair.

Get a good knee board.

Headset--see knee board advice.

Have a friend teach you the whiz-wheel--saves you $$.

Bottled water for stress and altitude fueled cotton mouth.

Wear the same pair of shoes for all your flights.

Wear zip-up jackets/hoodies, so you can unzip to cool off instead of pullovers.

keep a bottle of afrin in case of sudden sinus blocks.

Mechanical pencils. No pens, no regular pencils.

barf bag.

chap stick

Granola bar for low blood sugar moments.
    Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

The only thing I could directly transfer from my experience jumping to my experience flying was keeping my head on a swivel. Outside of controlled airspace, the other airplanes don't have to have radios, and even if they do many pilots won't talk on the radio, relying on you seeing and avoiding them. My CFI actually commented on me spotting the other traffic MUCH quicker than her other students.

Other than that, enjoy it! It's different and rewarding!

Any suggestions and words of wisdom for me on the pilots license?

Think of how much time you spend dirt diving for each minute of freefall, and how much better the skydive goes if you dirt dive.

Same goes for flying. If you really prepare for each lesson, it will go much better.

Have fun!

Harry Leicher
    2004 CFI of the Year
    FAA Western Pacific Region
    "Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."