CSpenceFLY

Where should we draw the line?

I'm told that I was chastised last night after I went to bed for a post I made in the Walterboro thread. something to the effect that I should leave well enough alone and someone like me should not speak out about a fellow skydiver. I'm paraphrasing because I did not see the post.

So my question is, Where do we draw the line? What behavior do we over look in the name of "Oh, their a fellow skydiver that's ok"?

We already seem to overlook open drug use. When something is stolen from the DZ, that doesn't seem to be a big concern anymore. I actually heard people chastise Robbie for leaving his laptop out when it got stolen. Looks like assault is ok in some peoples books. I guess it would be ok if someone came and beat me up for typing this.

My question again is "Where do we draw the line"? When do you think we should ignore the fact that someone is a skydiver and out them for their behavior? I for one think we should expect more from someone that wants to be "one of us". I don't think we should have to worry about "one of us" stealing our things or hurting our friends. And I damn sure don't think that after this behavior has come to light that these people should be aloud to move around within our community and be accepted with open arms at another DZ.

I have spent the last few years trying to be everyones friend because they were skydivers. I've put up with some people that I would not invite to my house. I have decided not to do that anymore. As for those that don't agree with me, we can either agree to disagree or agree not to associate anymore. I don't care which.

I'm told that I was chastised last night after I went to bed for a post I made in the Walterboro thread. something to the effect that I should leave well enough alone and someone like me should not speak out about a fellow skydiver. I'm paraphrasing because I did not see the post.

Dood....it was Peanut. Consider the source. Geezus.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Dood....it was Peanut. Consider the source. Geezus.

He's always seemed to be a few nuts short... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

As a group we share what for most is a hobby. That gives us no more or less responsibility as people to be accountable for our behaviors or to tolerate or judge others.

The problems we see in our sport are those that exist in our society. If you consider someone to be an asshole then you have no reason to be more tolerant of them because they are a skydiver.

Walt

I don't "Put up with" anything just because someone is a skydiver... be it stealing, drug use, being a jerk... but frankly I'm just kind of funny like that...

I also don't invite just anyone over to my house because they are a jumper... (partly because its a bit of a challenge)

Just because Rob left his Laptop out for a while to let others listen to music doesn't make the jerk who stole it any less of a jerk... and I would blame or chastize Robbie for leaving it out just because that night it happened to get swiped...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

The problems we see in our sport are those that exist in our society. If you consider someone to be an asshole then you have no reason to be more tolerant of them because they are a skydiver.

Walt

And yet we put up with you. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I don't think you were wrong Spence. Yes, it seems a lot of negative behaviors are overlooked. The open drug use, well that mainly just hurts the person using. The violence, stealing and other things like that seriously need to be stopped. The skydiving family is very unique in itself and we need to protect each other.

Spence...don't let your morals slide because you're surrounded by assholes.
"Open drug use" depends on the drug and the use...chemicals will ruin people's lives and the legal penalties are massively heavy handed...I avoid those people at all costs..and refuse to jump with them due to their use during jump hours.
Theft from a dz is the worst! I won't tolerate theft from friends and family...so those too are avoided.
Assault of any kind is also inexcusable.

While we may not see a need to narc anyone out for their behavior, we still need to distance ourselves from those that choose to behave in ways that society has deemed illegal. Those types are not deserving of ANY kind of consideration of friendship in my mind. While I realize that we all make mistakes in life...unless they show they understand that and attempt to change their behavior...fuck 'em.
Be rude not to.
I think you've made the same realization I have over the last year or so...some people in this sport are by no means my friends. I will no longer allow them to take advantage of me or my true friends.

And yet we put up with you. :D

Yeah, and I often wonder why....

Walt

Well, maybe, just maybe, you are the world's biggest, but lovable, asshole! :ph34r:

I have to agree with you! Some behavior is just not tolerated and when it hurts/harms other people... you have to draw the line. I have called a skydiver out for what I consider unacceptable behavior that would have hurt other skydivers in the end.

Chris, you normally have a good idea of what is right and wrong. Trust what you believe and keep on trucking. I have said before you have a great group of people around you. :)

Muff Brother # 3883, SCR # 14796 ICD # 1 - Pres.
Yeah, I noticed and I think it's funny!

Shit man you have changed a lot ofer the past couple of years.

Here are my feelings.
We are all adults and as such we need to be held accountable for our actions. Now I am not talking about calling the cops when someone is blazing it up at the bonfire, but what I am saying is that when someone is harms or otherwise wrongs another person that is what we as a community should not turn a blind eye
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I have spent the last few years trying to be everyones friend because they were skydivers. I've put up with some people that I would not invite to my house. I have decided not to do that anymore. As for those that don't agree with me, we can either agree to disagree or agree not to associate anymore. I don't care which.

I will not associate with those who delve into criminal behavior. I go to the DZ to have fun ... not hang out with someone who finds it easy to attack his fellow skydivers for whatever percieved wrong he may have dreamed up.
If I knew there were warrants out... I would be on the phone turning in Potatohead.. period. He did the crime.. he needs to learn from his mistakes.....he needs to do the time.

I do not want my DZ to get the stench of criminality with the local authorities aqd local community.

So my question is, Where do we draw the line? What behavior do we over look in the name of "Oh, their a fellow skydiver that's ok"?

When it endangers others, it is time to step up.

Someone want to get baked after hours, whether on Beer, Liquor or Grass.. That is their business as long as they are not jumping the next day while still intoxicated. IF they are, Time to say something. If they are doing it during the day and trying to still get on loads, Time to say something.

Someone with known violent tendencies and that likes to start fights should not be allowed on a DZ. However there are times when "He needed an ass whoopin" is a valid defense.

Theft should never be tolerated and if the person is caught I will repeat what I just said, Sometimes “He needed an Ass Whoopin” is a valid defense.

What J said. Jumping while fucked up is not ok, but I don't care what people put in their systems at night. Theft at a DZ is simply intolerable, and one shouldn't have to worry about being punched while at the DZ, unless they deserve it.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

What J said. Jumping while fucked up is not ok, but I don't care what people put in their systems at night. Theft at a DZ is simply intolerable, and one shouldn't have to worry about being punched while at the DZ, unless they deserve it.

Blues,
Dave

They deserve it if they steal yer dope! B|

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

I have no clue what he means or is talking about...and your influence hasn't been shared with anyone....;)
ok ... maybe a few less beers...and I'm home at a decent time these days...but I have never tolerated the behavior Spence is referring to!>:(
You know the ones I don't associate with anymore and why...;)

I have no clue what he means or is talking about...

Maybe you look more bad than you actually are, you big pussy cat. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

We already seem to overlook open drug use. When something is stolen from the DZ, that doesn't seem to be a big concern anymore. I actually heard people chastise Robbie for leaving his laptop out when it got stolen. Looks like assault is ok in some peoples books. I guess it would be ok if someone came and beat me up for typing this.

My question again is "Where do we draw the line"? When do you think we should ignore the fact that someone is a skydiver and out them for their behavior? I for one think we should expect more from someone that wants to be "one of us". I don't think we should have to worry about "one of us" stealing our things or hurting our friends. And I damn sure don't think that after this behavior has come to light that these people should be aloud to move around within our community and be accepted with open arms at another DZ.

Someone owes beer, because I agree with your post in its entirety, completely and wholeheartedly.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I have actually seen people openly fighting about drugs and drug money at a dropzone.:S

Now That's sad, I was joking and unfortunately you are not. :|

Like Walt said our little community is a reflection of society as a whole, wasn't always, but times do change I guess. :S

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"