SarahC07

"I Am Legend"

BUT.. where the hell do you get a whole herd of WHITETAIL BUCKS....not a doe in sight:S:S

It's important to not dwell to much on the "logic" of the movie.

That was lost on me during the first five minutes of him driving a pristine red 2007 Ford Mustang GT500 in 2012. Oh, lookie . . . a car ad! And then, you never see the car again . . . ever.

I wasn't horribly impressed with it. Too many plot holes.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

A exact remake of "Omega Man" with Charlton Heston, with modern special effects for the vampire people.

Probably not an exact remake, considering I Am Legend was an old sci-fi novel from the 50s. Maybe in style, but the script is based on a book (kind of a silly one, but some interesting topics in it).

I can't believe how much the thing has been advertised - previews shown before every movie that I've seen in the last six months - even Indie films! Just goes to show that the more you saturate people's brains, the more likely they are to consume your product.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

WARNING: SPOILERS!

A exact remake of "Omega Man" with Charlton Heston, with modern special effects for the vampire people.

Probably not an exact remake, considering I Am Legend was an old sci-fi novel from the 50s...

Well then, maybe "Omega Man" was made from that book too, because the stories were identical in almost all respects, down to the finest details.

Both "Omega Man" and "I am Legend" had the following:

- Fortress homes filled with security features.
- Vampire people that can only come out at night.
- Daily patrols of New York City.
- Daily radio broadcasts to try and find survivors
- Hero is a doctor working on a cure for the virus.
- Capturing a vampire for cure experiments.
- Blood serum cure to be passed on to the survivor colony.
- Talking to mannequins for companionship.
- Vampire ambush.
- Lone female survivor hooks up with the hero.

Okay, this movie had a dog companion for the hero. That's the only difference I saw. Yeah, that really made it an original movie.

Oh and the original had a white man with a black woman, and this one has a black man with a white woman.

They should have just called it "Omega Man II".

Probably not an exact remake, considering I Am Legend was an old sci-fi novel from the 50s...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well then, maybe "Omega Man" was made from that book too, because the stories were identical in almost all respects, down to the finest details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Omega_Man

The Omega Man is a 1971 science fiction thriller starring Charlton Heston. The movie is based on Richard Matheson's 1954 novel, I Am Legend. The screenplay was written by John William and Joyce Corrington, and the movie was directed by Boris Sagal. It was filmed in technicolor with mono sound and ran for 98 minutes. The movie received a MPAA rating of PG in the U.S. The story was first filmed in 1964, under the title The Last Man on Earth, with Vincent Price in the lead role. A third adaptation of the story to be released theatrically, I Am Legend, starring Will Smith, was released on December 14, 2007.

Point of note... The Omega Man in 1971 was set in Los Angeles.

Funniest part of the movie (and no it doesn't give anything away)

"Hank!! What are you doing here man?! Hank!?!" :D

Really sad/funny/wierd at all the same time. Can't say I've ever left a movie theater so depressed before though...

I was glad it didn't follow the novels plot line though cause that would have been even more boring...

Arianna Frances

Funniest part of the movie (and no it doesn't give anything away)

"Hank!! What are you doing here man?! Hank!?!" :D

Everyone knew that was an ambush setup right away. How else would Hank the mannequin have ended up out in the street far away from his normal music store.

What kind of car did Heston drive in the original?

Didn't Heston recite along with the Woodstock movie in the theatre, similar to the way Smith recited lines along with the Shrek movie?

It's been so long since I've seen "Omega Man", I've forgotten some of the details.

Everyone knew that was an ambush setup right away. How else would Hank the mannequin have ended up out in the street far away from his normal music store.

I must have been dense then... cause I didn't catch onto that until he got snagged. :D When he first drove by I thought it was one of the creatures, suddenly 'immune' to sunlight... the fact that hank was moved at all was interesting - reasoning that I thought was lost on the 'creatures'.

In the novel the dog is introduced in the middle and only stays around for a week...

When he finally got the nerve up to talk to the female mannequin... that was the most depressing/saddest part of that whole film, although the flashbacks were pretty bad too. I'd have liked to have seen more background on the cause but I realize thats not what the novel was about either... but it would have made it more interesting.

I used to be involved in my state's emergency preparedness committee (worked at the biggest hospital) and found myself really analyzing the response of the government in the film. What would we do now that was different than the film?

All in all it was a pretty boring flick, IMO...
Arianna Frances

The Omega Man is a 1971 science fiction thriller starring Charlton Heston. The movie is based on Richard Matheson's 1954 novel, I Am Legend.

Wow - OK, according to this, there have been four movies made out of this book. Considering the book, I'm really surprised at all the people that made it into movies. Might make a fun quadrupal-feature movie night :ph34r:
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Wow - OK, according to this, there have been four movies made out of this book. Considering the book, I'm really surprised at all the people that made it into movies. Might make a fun quadrupal-feature movie night :ph34r:

Yeah, maybe one of the TV stations will capitalize on this movie and play the old versions, so that we can view them again for comparison.

Might make a fun quadrupal-feature movie night :ph34r:

I wonder what the record is for number of times a single story has been made into different major movies?

Ya gotta know some of the stuff from the Bard has got to be pretty high up there. HG Welles too.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Might make a fun quadrupal-feature movie night :ph34r:

I wonder what the record is for number of times a single story has been made into different major movies?

Ya gotta know some of the stuff from the Bard has got to be pretty high up there. HG Welles too.

The gunfight at the OK Corrall would be quite high on the list.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?