FlyinDawg

Have you even try to convince your parents....

I talked my mom out of it

Why?:|

Other medical issues-I didn't think that the risk/reward factored out-besides, my sister is the executor:)

your sister is going to execute your mom? Funny family you got there. :P;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I talked my mom out of it

Why?:|

Other medical issues-I didn't think that the risk/reward factored out-besides, my sister is the executor:)

your sister is going to execute your mom? Funny family you got there. :P;)
I was thinking the exact same thing....:ph34r:
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Did my first couple Jumps back in 1992 WITH my Dad. Static Line at a place still using Piglet-23 Sport Rounds.

Dad landed on the Runway (Asphalt + Round - PLF = Broke Back) and that ended his skydiving career (Came close to ending his walking career.)

Mom?? She will not get in a plane much less jump out of one.

Did my first couple Jumps back in 1992 WITH my Dad. Static Line at a place still using Piglet-23 Sport Rounds.

Dad landed on the Runway (Asphalt + Round - PLF = Broke Back) and that ended his skydiving career (Came close to ending his walking career.)

So your dad dd, or did NOR PLF? I'm confused :S

Dad is a private pilot with a lot of certs (CFI, MEI, CFII, Commercial...) and he used to be a jump pilot in Montana back in the 60s. No door, no seatbelts, no e-rig. Just get in the plane get the jumpers to 7.5k and dive HARD for the ground for the next load.

He has no desire to skydive but has been supportive in my jumping. Mom is just mom, she talked about maybe doing a tandem sometime, but it will probably never happen. Since I'm a TI there is a standing offer to either of them to come jump with me, but I'm not going to pressure them into jumping.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I could not talk my mother into it.

So instead we surprised her. Gave her less time to worry andfreak out about it. She had perma-grin for weeks afterwards.

However, I knew she deep down wanted to but wouldn't admit it. I would never try to convince my father. Instead we took him on an observer ride. B|

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I told my parents that if I died before them, I wanted one of them to do a tandem / ash dive for me. My mother promptly responded that my sister would have to do it. My sister said I'll have to find someone else because she would never jump out of anything moving. So, basically, I hope my parents and/or sister will release my ashes to another jumper since obviously they won't do it.

Now, my grandmother said she would do it for her 85th birthday (next month), but she's extremely fragile. I'm thinking her legs would break on landing. [:/] We're taking her to the tattoo parlor on her 85th instead.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

My Mom did it and said she'd do it again. My Dad won't, he said he fought in Viet Nam and faced death so many times, he doesn't feel the need to do it again. My son has jumped, my daughter says she won't do it and my husband is "considering" it.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

So your dad dd, or did NOR PLF? I'm confused :S

I'm pretty sure he didn't. There's a minus (-) sign before PLF. :P

Reminds me of a scary incident 11 years ago at my home DZ out of the C182. My buddy was putting static line students out. I was sitting in the back of the plane behind him. The 2nd one was tall and lanky, and my buddy yelled at him to crouch down more as he climbed out on the strut but he wasn't listening or something. Popped the pin out on the door handle. Man he was gone in a flash, barely missing the horizontal stabilizer by mere inches, but hanging the parachute up on it for a split second, which turned it into a ball of shit. He cut away to a round reserve, which led him to the taxiway where he forgot to PLF and broke his foot. Meanwhile the jump plane got grounded because the horizontal stabilizer had a 9-10 inch rip at the fuselage. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My mom would never do it.
My step dad did when he was in the military.
My real dad -Never
My real sister-Never
Step sister- I took her for her first tandem and she wants to go again.
Step Brother-Wants to
Little Brother(7) well who knows he is 7...but he always talks about base jumping...lol
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

yup.. my dad had been curious to give it a try since the day I started and I finally gave him a tandem skydive a couple of years ago.
He loved it, and might do it again "in a couple of years"

My mom will never do it, and I have no desire to convince her otherwise.. you either want to do it, or you don't there's no need to "force" people into it, I think.
I'm bummed, cause I think she'd love it, but if its not your thing, so be it..

So your dad dd, or did NOR PLF? I'm confused

" - "= Minus = Did not.

That's what I thought you meant, but I wasn't sure, for whatever reason, I thought "-" meant *dash* instead of *minus* Don't ask me why :S It's still early and still haven't had my coffee yet - cut me some slack :P

Dad was a pilot for 19 of his 22 yrs. in the USAF...
He survived an "incident" in 1961 involving a B-52 and a sidewinder missile over New Mexico. Considering the circumstances surrounding his first and last canopy ride, I don't even bother asking. Mom would be a ummm... an ash dive I guess one would say, but probably would have been game before she became ill.

Clark
You can't make chicken salad out of chicken manure.

My parents have seen me jump a few times. Last time they came in I did a hop n pop and came screaming in. They hadn't seen swooping before and I was showing them what I compete in. All Mom said was "that was nice" in that tone that parents use for children when they are doing something trivial. It made me laugh. Dad actually thought it was neat and he asked a lot of questions from a pilot's point of view.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I was able to get both of my parents to make a tandem skydive for my birthday a couple years ago. I was waiting for my mother to back out right up until she boarded the plane... but she actually went through with it.
I think they did it because it was something I wanted to do for my birthday, and wanted to share that part of my life with them.
MB# 4012

Back in July, I bought my baby sister Mary a tandem for a college graduation present. It was my first tandem also. She wants to go again, but can't afford it. I'm totally addicted and have made 16 more jumps (AFF, Coach, etc) since November.

My other sister Katie went to the dropzone to watch Mary and I make the tandem jumps. Mom went too. It was fun telling people I brought my next of kin with me. After watching, both Mom and Katie want to try it, but both have weight issues they need to sort out first. Mom even likes watching my AFF videos. Even the one where I totally dick up a solo exit and tumble for 3000 ft. (At least I recovered it eventually...)

Mom still talks about taking a tandem ride. Hopefully it will be motivation for her to get her health back in order.

My parents don't want to, and I'd never try to convince them. I tell them that skydiving is not entirely safe, with the result that they're even worried about me when I go to the wind tunnel, but I think it's better to be honest.

I wouldn't stop them if they wanted to do it, but I'd make sure they knew the risks first.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?