FlyinDawg

Have you even try to convince your parents....

to take tandem skydive? I even try to convince my mother to take it but she does keep it on and off repeat. When she get to dropzone while I do some jumps, she not want to but when she wasn't at dropzone, she keep said, she will take, might will, or won't. Have it happen to your parents, relatives, or friends?
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

Yeah, I tried real hard with both. The idea was - just once. Dad wasn't going to go anwhere near the idea. Mom was toying with it, but she never actually did it.

Now, it ain't never gonna happen.:(

However, I do get to jump with both my kids. And that rocks!

Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666

to take tandem skydive? I even try to convince my mother to take it but she does keep it on and off repeat. When she get to dropzone while I do some jumps, she not want to but when she wasn't at dropzone, she keep said, she will take, might will, or won't. Have it happen to your parents, relatives, or friends?

Mom - Nope - Just ain't happening.
Her husband . . . Nope
Dad - Nope - wouldn't even consider it.
His wife - very very very small chance.
Aunt - Possibly . . . don't know yet
G-ma 1 - wouldn't suggest it - and she wouldn't anyway
G-ma 2 - Has a couple tandems
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yep, My brother won't go for it. He perfer ride his motorcycle than jump out of perfectly good airplace. But my sister finally took a tandem couple months ago after thinking about for a year. She already addicted it. ;)

Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

If you convince a married buddy to do a tandem and he decides to start jumping, his wife will not be pleased with you. If he twists his ankle on his first tandem, his wife will extract an organ from your body.

Something to consider. You will be to blame, not him.
:)

I don't discuss jumping with non-jumpers that much because of this. People don't want you talking their SO into something that could disrupt their shared life.

If you convince a married buddy to do a tandem

I don't convince, His wife and him want to but CANT afford AFF training after I started AFF. :( So I don't have chance to jump with my best friends (wife and husband)
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

Well, you might mention that a 57 year old grandma loves skydinving and has done 1 tandem and 5 AFF jumps now. B|
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

My brother went through AFF and ended up with 12 jumps before he stopped, all of it before I started skydiving myself. I didn't find out about him jumping until years later. He was living in California at the time anyway. He made his jumps at Hollister.

My mom's sister (my aunt) made a tandem along with her step son when he graduated from college, and she was well into her 50's. Both made their tandems at The Ranch in Gardiner, NY.

I also have a cousin in Mobile, AL who made a static line jump at the old Mobile drop zone west of the city. I think it moved to Moss Point, MS and became Gold Coast Skydivers later.

Ain't no way in Hell that I can get either of my parents to even try it. They're both in their 70's. Hell, they would rather not come out and watch ME skydive. I didn't give them much of a choice a couple times when I went and did beach jumps in front of their beach front cabin along the Alabama coast. That's it. :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My dad made a jump back when they were still using rounds. I talked him into making another one 2 summers ago and he actually made a second the same day. We've got video of me jumping out and finishing up my student status right before him.

My mom is another story... she cant even watch me

Years ago, I took my mom up in a C182 that I was jumping from. I motioned for the pilot to give us alittle zero G about 6K, and I still have her finger nail scares on my leg! :D She'd never do it, even though she would be attached to me. [:/]

Ed

www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

My mom told me that she would never ever even come out to a dropzone and not to even ask. She said further that she would never, under any circumstances, watch me or Joe skydive. She wouldn't even watch a video of me doing a skydive.

I finally convinced her to watch my cutaway vid...I thought it would ease her mind a little (we wear two parachutes for a reason, blah blah blah...)

Yeah, nope. Not so much. :|

I probably should have mentioned to her that she watched Joe do 3 military jumps and didn't have a problem; he had a whole HELL of a lot higher chance of burning in then me...he was exiting at 800'. Oh well. :ph34r:

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

There's almost no way I could convince either of my parents, or any of my aunts, uncles or nephews to do a tandem short of getting my own tandem rating, but my brother went and did it !

I'm so proud of him..:)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

My first tandem was also my parents first tandem!

I jumped on my 21st birthday and my mom and dad jumped with me and my sister and brother-in-law jumped too.

I almost had my Grandpa and Aunt convinced...but since my Grandpa is 85 and on oxygen we figured it wasn't the best decision, and my aunt is missing a leg so she chickened out.

I am so excited that my parents can understand my excitement when I talk about skydiving. My mom literally lights up whenever I talk about it!

Ever since I did my tandem I've been trying to convince my mom to do it, but she pretty much made it clear that there's not a chance in hell she will. :( Ironically, she fully supports me in getting licensed and pursuing a skydiving career (as in jumping till the day I die - not working in skydiving.) Go figure that 1 out :S... I guess it is that way because she can't stand the thought of jumping out of a plane...but she sees how I light up and what a passion this has become in me. She's also happy that I started working out hardcore to get in shape to be able to skydive on my own; just a few days ago she told me: "Finally!! - finally there's a cure for your laziness" :D:D (She's been trying to get me o exercise for yearrrrrrrs, because of my disability.)

My 1 sister flat-out thinks I've lost my mind (:D:D:P) and thus always tries to talk me out becoming a skydiver, but I think that after months and months of trying she realizes it just isn't going to happen. Granted the guy that filmed my brother in-law's tandem a few years back was a close friend of their's - he died during a skydive :([:/] and so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. The funny thing is this same sister thinks it's "perfectly fine" to leave her husband & child behind & go climb a 6,000 METER mountain near Mt. Everest, and yet I'm nuts for jumping? :S...

My other sister (who also knew the above cameraflyer very well) seems to think it's great that I got into the sport, but says she couldn't do it - not because she doesn't want to (according to her); she always gives me the "well, I wanted to when I was younger and had no responsibilities - but I have a husband and kids now to think about..." I understand that, but at the same time I know many, many many skydivers that have family responsibilities and whatnot (she was quite surprised at this.)

I always try to talk to talk my 1 brother in- law, that did the tandem to come back up - but he always gives me the "well, if you tried something like that why do it again" Uuuummmm???....yeahhhhhhhhh...... My way of think is - if you like something, or as in my case (and probably all of ours) love something, why NOT do it again....and again, and again??? :S

By the time he decides to do another tandem (if he ever does) I'll probably be able to film it :D:D

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

He's now quiting flying because it's too dangerous.

Flying is too dangerous??.....you gotta be fucking kidding me!! :D

By no means...but look at how many commercial flights there are on a daily basis; how often is there an incident.

Granted, smaller planes of a higher likelihood of going down, thus there is a higher aspect of danger involved, but even those don't go down too often, or at least not that I'm aware of. I'd be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt here. 2007 was a bad year after all. [:/]

I'd be more afraid of (and am for that matter) getting on the expressway.

You get what I'm trying to say...