auburnguy

Gear on a college students budget

I am a college student and I skydive, hence I am poor. My question is this, does anyone have any sort of advice on how to go about buying equipment on a limited cash on hand budget while continuing to jump. I just don't want to damage my credit rating and be screwed for something later down the line. Any ideas? keep in mind I am a full time college student.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

We are a mostly college student Dropzone, and I myself have bought 2 rigs on a nothing budget, and the first one was while I was still in High School. You can buy a good first rig, with an AAD, for around $2,000. It may be hard to find right off the bat, but ask your local riggers and they can help point you in the right direction.

What I did was pretty simple - I went to a local bank, sat down with the loan officer and got good 2-year loan. I ended up paying some $70 a month, which really wasn't that bad. Since I paid it off early, I didn't even have to pay that much interest, something like $95ish.
=========Shaun ==========

Used gear is your friend. It's not as pretty, or as freefly-friendly (sometimes). But for well under $2000 you can usually find something jumpable in your size, that you can learn on.

It took me about 6 weeks to find the perfect gear (I wasn't a student, and was looking for something permanent). Right now it's winter, and there are 3 pages of ads in the dz.com classifieds in the "complete systems" section alone with "170" in them. They don't all have the same, or even right, stuff. But that's quite a lot of choices.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I jumped begged and borrowed gear for my first 200 jumps. It wasn't freefly friendly (I called it freefly cordial and was an idiot, freeflying it anyways). The canopies were crappy and the reserves were old, but it got me in the air damnit. You haven't until you did a good number of jumps on an old and very ragged out Raider 220.:D

I packed my ass off and saved money while jumping that crap gear and shopped for some deals. Bought a Heatwave instead of a Stiletto since at the time they were $700 from S. Africa. I couldn't afford an AAD so I didn't buy one. Then I used a 50% off for a Wings that was given to me by a fellow jumper. I couldn't find a used PDr 176 at the time so I had to buy new. I worked out a deal with the DZO to work off the cost of the reserve. It was ordered then I made enough money packing at a boogie about 3 weeks after that to pay him off in full...although I only did 1 jump at the boogie it was worth it.

If you want it, you'll make it happen. It takes dedication. It takes drinking the "free" beer at the DZ instead of going to the bars. It takes no more delivery pizza, etc.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

how big are you? I've got a 3rd hand container and reserve that I currently have no use for. It's a tad bit tight on me and I'm 5'-6" and 150 lbs. It can hold a 170-190 canopy.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

i, as well as a lot of people here, have been in your same spot. when i was in college i worked my ass off mostly during the summers and our 6 week winter breaks, i quit spending money on anything that didn't relate to gear and skydiving. i also did it over time... like i bought my alti first, then helmet, then rig, etc.

if there's a will, there's a way.

Used gear is your friend.

Don't be picky. A freefly safe container is great if you can find one in your price range, but it's not a requirement; you can have lots of fun on your belly until you can afford to upgrade to something newer. Your favorite colors are now "cheap" or "free." And you need to look into packing as a temporary career path.

Start with the small stuff if you don't already have it. You don't need anything fancy yet - an inexpensive analog alti, used older model audible, used ProTec or snowboarding helmet will all serve you fine.

Jumpsuit is a bit tougher - start by looking at your home dz. Ask other jumpers who are close to your size if they have an old suit they don't need. You can buy off the classifieds here but it's hard to know if the suit will fit or not.

Next start piecing together a rig. Have a rigger go over any container, reserve or main prior to making a purchase final. Find an airworthy container that fits your body and the size canopies you intend to put in it. These are available for a couple hundred bucks. Then find a reserve - note that if you buy an older reserve you won't want to load it above about 1.0. You can find airworthy older reserves for around $300-400.

If you want an AAD, look for a Cypres with less than 4 years left on it. You'll pay less than $400 and it'll probably get you through until you are out of school, making the big bucks.

Once you have all that, you can probably borrow a main from someone while you are looking/saving for your own. You could pick up a used F111 canopy (don't pay more than about $200) but you'll be happier if you can find something zp in the lower price ranges. You can find older Sabres and Triathlons for $400-$600.

Like most everyone else is saying...get a job. DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT do what I did and put it all on a credit card. I am most definitely regretting that decision now.

Jeeeez never a truer word spoken, I've been down the credit card path myself on the past, NEVER again, theyre the devils work they really are.

What I did was pretty simple - I went to a local bank, sat down with the loan officer and got good 2-year loan. I ended up paying some $70 a month, which really wasn't that bad. Since I paid it off early, I didn't even have to pay that much interest, something like $95ish.

I would do that but I am not going to put any of my personal belongings up for collateral. Not only that but I have no credit rating and there is no way in hell that my parents are gonna cosign a loan.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

Or look up my thread from just before all the holidays. Been busy so have not finished putting things together to do the give away but it's coming :)

Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

i also started jumping as a student in high school and college. like it was said earlier in the thread, do what ever it takes. pack, take out the trash, mow the grass at the dz, sweep and mop the floors...if there is a will, there is a way. i started packing at the dz when i was 16, and by the time i was 18, i saved up enough to buy a damn nice used rig, a helmet, alti, suit, everything i needed. ya just gotta save every penny you can. , it may take time, but it will come....

Its looking like my best bet right now is to just start saving cash. I think I can come up with the cash to get a rig but its just gonna take some time, in the mean time its looks like the rental gear for me. One clarification, if I am going to buy gear I'd rather take a little longer and get a nicer rig than spring for one thats just cheap. If need be I could come up with the cash for a container in probobly 3 months but I would have to quit jumping completely.
- Homer Simpson

no kidding, but no bank will loan me money (ive tried) with the current mortgage crisis, and in terms of coming up with the case. best case scenario I could come up with the cash to buy a rig in 4 months, assuming I didnt eat or jump.
- Homer Simpson

If I had the cash I already have my eye on a specific rig. A micron 310. The seller wants 1400 for it and the reserve.
- Homer Simpson

One clarification, if I am going to buy gear I'd rather take a little longer and get a nicer rig than spring for one thats just cheap.

Why? A cheaper rig gets you in the air now - without paying for rental - while you save for a nicer one. More jumps makes you a better skydiver than nice gear does. Really.

If you're gonna insist on "nice" gear then you forfeit the right to whine about not being able to afford it.

If you're at the same DZ, can you work out a lease-purchase maybe, where you
a. pay him what you would pay for rental every time you jump
b. let him keep the rig (thereby reducing his liability)
c. pack for him to earn additional money

If you don't have a main, get whatever will get you in the air safely. Don't even try to get the perfect main, to go along with the perfect rig. There are plenty of skills you can work on with the less-than-perfect main anyway, that will transfer to the perfect one with no loss of skill. Really.

You could even offer something more than the asking price for his indulgence. Grovel a little, and let him know how very much he's helping a newbie...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

One clarification, if I am going to buy gear I'd rather take a little longer and get a nicer rig than spring for one thats just cheap.

Why? A cheaper rig gets you in the air now - without paying for rental - while you save for a nicer one. More jumps makes you a better skydiver than nice gear does. Really.

If you're gonna insist on "nice" gear then you forfeit the right to whine about not being able to afford it.

by nice I mean something that is safe and does not look like it has been dragged through the dirt for hundreds of miles. nice is a relative term here.
- Homer Simpson

You can get older used gear that is in great shape. Then you have more money for more jumps. More jumps=better jumper. Would you rather be a better jumper or one that has shiney gear? I'd rather be the better jumper. If I couldn't have both easily.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Buy used, work nights during the week, and pack your ass of at the dropzone on weekends. I have only had to pay for $100 or so worth of jumps since August. I generally don't let myself jump until I've packed 2 or 3 student rigs that day. Buying gear was rough, I did it by working full time during the summer. I am a college sophomore by the way. Best of luck, but I can tell you from personal experience that jumping in college is tough, but oh so worth it. You might have to choose between jumping one weekend or having beer (even diner.... :S) that weekend but if you want to jump bad enough you will find a way to make it work.

Less talking, more flying.