Speedy84

Audible altimeters and helmet mounting

I just bought a whole bunch of gear, including an ion helmet and an audible altimeter. I have no experience with audibles and am a little confused about how to attach them to the inside helmet pocket. All the helmet provides is a little sticky velcro patch that you stick to your alti and then velcro it into the helmet. Doesn't seem to be too secure. What is the best way to attach these things inside your helmet when there is nothing you can hook it up to like on an external mount?? Is it safe to just tape it to the inside of the helmet with lots of packing tape or what? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!! :S

Different helmet and audio, but...

I wear a protec (still after all these years) and have a ProTrack. I just wedge it into the ear hole and put the helmet on. (Less secure than your velcro)

Remember, (for most helmets) once your head is in there, the audio is not going anywhere. Its only when you doff your helmet that it needs to continue to stay put. Not knowing your helmet, I suspect that it will be enough.

When mounted on the outside, you have to be very secure as it is exposed to the full blast... but that's different.

I'll shutup now and we'll both see if someone who knows your combination can shed more enlightened information on the questin ;).

Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

If this is any use to you my Pro Dytter is mounted externally. Purely because of comfort. I dont have a problem hearing it in freefall.

I cut diamond shape out of helmet liner though and stitched around the edge to prevent it coming undone. Also the plate is stuck on using car windscreen sealer. that plate never coming off. Also helps to make the hole sealed to prevent windnoise getting in the helmet. Only the wanted tone of the Dytter. Plus I dont really trust those little girly cable ties.

Well my Paralert was bolted on.;) Ask some one what that is.

In a helmet it's not going anywhere. The velcro is just to keep it from falling out before you take it out when you take off your helmet. I use to have one on a six in super tack tether just so it wouldn't hit the ground.

Put it in the pocket, put your helmet on, and go skydive.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

See picture 18 for the line/riser snag hazard.;):P Either it'll pop the audible off. Or if the stuff holds screw up your head and canopy. (I see visions of line or two under it, trying to pull your head off while the canopy spins. If and when you cutaway it still doesn't go anywhere. Search for incidents with camera helmet entanglements.) I recommend at least filling the gap behind the plate with something. It still may very well get slapped off of there. That's why they go inside.B|
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Fuck that. Its so tight against my ear makes the helmet sit crooked. Tried placing it somewhere else under the lining but doesnt work. Anyway, I'll have holes then and you can bet they'd make an ear drum perforating whistle :D

My apologies.. gaffa tape. Its all the same stuff. At work we refer to it as 'rape tape' which im aware is highly inappropriate :).... but funny.

Gaffer's tape is not the same as duct tape! The difference is about $20 a roll!>:(

Seriously Gaffer's tape tends to stick better, not melt in the sun, doesn't slide on the adhesive, and doesn't leave any adhesive behind. Check out the camera helmets around the DZ. (Don't pick up with out permission! :P) The black tape isn't duct tape, it's gaffers tape. Which also comes in a variety of colors.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE