BillyVance

Post your prediction for tonight's BCS championship game

time to go bury my head for a while>:(B|B|

Nah-I think that OSU had a heck of a "rebuilding" year. Won't suprize me if they were in back to back to back championship games. And maybe, next year, they'll get to play a PAC-10 team;):)

Maybe? They'll be PRAYING not to draw another SEC team next year! :D:D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

No Shit:|:P

When the most likely opponents could be Georgia or Florida next year, I wouldn't want to play them either. :P

Here's a strange tidbit: When Tennessee won their national championship in 1998, they did it with a first year starter quarterback Tee Martin, having just graduated their greatest quarterback ever the year before - Peyton Manning, who never got to play for the national championship.

Now look at LSU, they lost their best quarterback ever to the pros after last year, and here comes Matt Flynn in his first year as the full-time starter. Granted, they needed a bit more than luck to make it to the title game this time than Tennessee, but I thought it was funny. JaMarcus Russell is probably kicking himself wishing he hadn't left. But he's making millions already in the NFL so big whoop.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

A crazy season of NCAA college football has come to an end with an entertaining championship game won by one team that was better than the other team. But remember folks before you claim so and so team will be the best next year, let's not forget all the upsets that happened this year. Is LSU the best team in the NCAA? Who knows? With 100+ teams in Division One NCAA football, it is impossible to have a balanced schedule with a true playoff system. So year after year we will always argue who is the best. But we do know that last night LSU was better than OSU.

Good game Tigers ... I was entertained. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Nah-I think that OSU had a heck of a "rebuilding" year. Won't suprize me if they were in back to back to back championship games. And maybe, next year, they'll get to play a PAC-10 team;):)

The Rose Bowl has been a whipping ground for the Big 10 of late. Michigan didn't enjoy the Pac 10 experience either, at home. Nor did Tennessee this year.

I'm going with Ohio State . . . but UGA coulda kicked either team's ass if given the chance. :P

Yep, that's what I think too. If Georgia hadn't blown it at Tennessee, they would be in there instead of LSU.

We can only dream.

The game I'd have loved to see was USC-Georgia. But if the BCS had given us that, there would be a lot of people thinking the winner was the "real" national champion, and realizing the BCS is a joke.

I'm really interested in next year, though. The Dawgs are only graduating a couple key players, and most of them either have replacements who are looking as good or better (Thomas Brown for Knowshon Moreno, for example), or are surrounded by returning players who can probably make up for the loss. The only holes that I'm worried about are Marcus Howard and Brandon Coutu, and even then I'm not very worried.

First off, everyone in the country wanted to see Georgia and USC in the Rose. However, the Rose bowl never even asked if they could bring in Georgia. This is the part that bothered me the most as a Georgia fan. I don't think we deserved to be in the Championship game after the way we lost to Tennessee. Which, if UGA had only taken care of Spurrier's Cocks like they should have this would have never been as issue... Anyway, I feel that the BCS did not want the Rose bowl to be bigger than the MNC. USC and UGA were by far the two hottest teams in the country as of the second half of the season.

Georgia is returning 17 of 22 starters. That plays very well in the Dawgs favor. However, take a gander at next year's schedule: http://www.sicemdawgs.com/football/sched/fbsch_08.php I think we will be lucky to be 10-2 at the end of the season. I think coach Richt will have them ready for every game, but that schedule is brutal; especially on the road to LSU and Florida in back to back weeks (not that on the road to Carolina & Arizona State / then home for Alabama will be easy)!

Losing Marcus, & Coutu hurts, but so does Brandon Miller. Blair Walsh looks like he could fill the Coutu void as a freshman. I also think you will see some changes in the D line. If signing day goes as though it looks right now, Georgia is picking up a few "immediate impact" recruits. Richt finally showed this year that if a true Freshamn is ready, he will play.

The players I am most excited to see next year are Caleb King and AJ Green.

Go DAWGS!

By the way, for all those that didn't believe it before, yes the SEC is faster than the Big 10 as a whole!

Goudha is for Buddha, and that's good enough for me!

However, take a gander at next year's schedule: http://www.sicemdawgs.com/football/sched/fbsch_08.php I think we will be lucky to be 10-2 at the end of the season. I think coach Richt will have them ready for every game, but that schedule is brutal; especially on the road to LSU and Florida in back to back weeks (not that on the road to Carolina & Arizona State / then home for Alabama will be easy)!

(snip)

By the way, for all those that didn't believe it before, yes the SEC is faster than the Big 10 as a whole!

Damn straight! And you know what the scary part was about this past season? It was actually a down-year for the SEC with everybody having at least 2 losses, and we still placed teams #1 and #2 in the nation at the end.

So Georgia has a brutal schedule? So does Alabama, though I think UGA will fare a couple games better anyway. We have to play at Arkansas, LSU, Georgia and Tennessee, plus the season opener with Clemson in the Georgia Dome. I'll feel lucky if Alabama can win 3 out of those 5.

Alabama also has a national top three recruiting class coming in this fall, just like you guys, so it's going to be interesting but you guys are still a couple of years ahead of us. Our class is #3, but if we snag Julio Jones, we should jump to #1. ;)

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to the rematch with UGA but last September's game was a doozy! :D

However, the Rose bowl never even asked if they could bring in Georgia.

Unless it is the BCS championship game (which it was not this year), the Rose Bowl always pits the best of the Big 10 versus the best of the Pac 10. Since the best of the Big 10 this season (Ohio State) was playing in the BCS Championship game, the Rose Bowl went with the 2nd best in the Big 10 (Illinois). Of course we all know a Bulldogs versus Trojans game would have been great to see, you should stop whinning about something that will never happen (demanding that a SEC team play in the Rose Bowl in a non BSC Championship year). It never happens. Plus if you don't like it, get the NCAA to change the whole bowl season (good luck, you're going to need it). :P

Why would Georgia want USC instead of Hawaii, anyway?

The Rose Bowl didn't have to take Illinois, but almost certainly would want them given the unusualness of their success. (Just as they would take Cal if the Bears and Mack Brown would let them).

But also, the Sugar Bowl is traditionally slotted for an SEC team and since LSU was not available, they would want to have Georgia instead.

C. When two bowls lose host teams, then the bowl losing the number one team may not select a replacement team from the same Conference as the number two team, unless the bowl losing the number two team consents.

If I read this correctly, the Sugar Bowl people would have to consent to giving up Georgia, otherwise they are faced with an Illinois Hawaii game, not the most attractive billing to sell in SEC country.

Unless it is the BCS championship game (which it was not this year), the Rose Bowl always pits the best of the Big 10 versus the best of the Pac 10.

What he said. The Rose Bowl is PAC-10 champ vs Big 10 champ. Since the advent of the BCS, they've had to include the possibilities of losing one or both teams to the championship game. The selection committee has leeway when that occurs, but for the most part have been respectful of tradition.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Why would Georgia want USC instead of Hawaii, anyway?

The Rose Bowl didn't have to take Illinois, but almost certainly would want them given the unusualness of their success. (Just as they would take Cal if the Bears and Mack Brown would let them).

But also, the Sugar Bowl is traditionally slotted for an SEC team and since LSU was not available, they would want to have Georgia instead.

C. When two bowls lose host teams, then the bowl losing the number one team may not select a replacement team from the same Conference as the number two team, unless the bowl losing the number two team consents.

If I read this correctly, the Sugar Bowl people would have to consent to giving up Georgia, otherwise they are faced with an Illinois Hawaii game, not the most attractive billing to sell in SEC country.

As a Georgia fan I want to see UGA matched up in a bowl against the team that poses the best challenge. This year that would have clearly been USC. The two hottest teams in the second half of the regular season.

That is where I see the BCS as utterly flawed. If it were in place only to decide the championship game, I am fine with that. However, I was under the impression that the ideology was to place the top two teams in the MNC, then the best matchups in the remainder of the BCS decided games... In essence to get away from some of the "tradition", and in turn create "better" matchups.

Of course an 8 team playoff is the most logical answer with each major conference having a championship game to decide who goes; with 2 wild card slots to allow for a second team from a dominant conference or an undefeated Hawaii team, etc.. Maybe then Notre Dame may have to play in a real conference :o

I really wish those fuckheads at Notre Dame would join the Big 10. They already play Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and Penn State almost every year. Although Navy and Air Force got lucky catching them this year, those two games really are gimmies every year.

I have a problem with pompous asses who think they are God's gift to football and can get their own TV contract. :S And you wonder why they keep losing bowl games they really had no business playing in. [:/]

I really wish those fuckheads at Notre Dame would join the Big 10. They already play Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and Penn State almost every year. Although Navy and Air Force got lucky catching them this year, those two games really are gimmies every year.

I have a problem with pompous asses who think they are God's gift to football and can get their own TV contract. :S And you wonder why they keep losing bowl games they really had no business playing in. [:/]

Notre Dame will never join a conference unless forced. The reason: MONEY. :o

If part of a conference, ND would have to open their books for one, & secondly they would have to share their bowl money and any TV revenue. :S

You know i love ya like my brother, but UGA would have been most likely creamed-on my USC.

One thing the SEC has an AMAZING habit of doing is performing inconsistantly. The dawgs, backs, vols, and others did this year. Otherwise one of the two teams who beat the CHAMPIONSHIP team this year was the Razorbacks, and lets face it. They sucked. The had two good players and if they dont go for NFL then holy hell I cant wait to see what happens next year.

The BCS process is flawed. I contended that HI and KU deserved more this year, but KU lost and HI show thier stuff and it werent good enough. There were too many games this champ series that were poor matchups at best, or at least speculative. Im a SEC fan through and through, but a playoff series is so much better than the shite we were delt.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

They had two good players and if they dont go for NFL then holy hell I cant wait to see what happens next year.

I will go ahead and predict this now. Darren McFadden goes top 5 maybe even top 3 (imagine the Falcons with a dominant back) & Felix Jones goes before the end of the first round as well!

Im a SEC fan through and through, but a playoff series is so much better than the shite we were delt.

Exactly, and although Michael Adams (UGA President) didn't go about the right way; his playoff idea is the exact same setup I would push for if my opinion mattered...

1) 8 teams, each major conference sends 1 (each major conference would pretty much have to have a championship game then) with two at-large bids.

2) use the 4 bcs games then plus 2

3) in order to keep it a one semester sport, shorten the layoff between the end of the regular season and the start of the bowls

I would also never allow the "who gives a shite" games to happen after the start of the bcs playoffs.
(i.e. Tulsa/Bowling Green this year)

Of course this will never happen, but every other major sport (both college and professional) has a playoff system. Let it be settled on the field!

an 8 team playoff is the most logical answer with each major conference having a championship game to decide who goes; with 2 wild card slots to allow for a second team from a dominant conference

Works for me and I think it's doable without sacrificing much from the Bowl season.
But the NCAA doesn't read these forums. ;)

an 8 team playoff is the most logical answer with each major conference having a championship game to decide who goes; with 2 wild card slots to allow for a second team from a dominant conference

Works for me and I think it's doable without sacrificing much from the Bowl season.
But the NCAA doesn't read these forums. ;)

No, they get enough reading newspaper sports editorials and articles or watching ESPN sportscasters espouse their opinions, without us yahoos adding to the tripe... :D

Also, I would like to see the Big 10 and Pac 10 adopt a championship game the same way the other major conferences have.

So would I. It'd take some major arm twisting to make that happen though. Force Notre Dame to join the Big 10 so it has 12 teams, and find two teams out west to join the Pac 10, say maybe Fresno State and Boise State or Utah/Utah State?

Force Notre Dame to join the Big 10 so it has 12 teams

That's logical, given ND already plays 65% of its games against the Big Ten, but it ain't gonna happen. They've already been invited at least 3 times that I know of, but after seeing what happened to Penn State, they want no part of it. Maybe a few more seasons like this one, and NBC will drop their contract, then they'll HAVE to join, from an economic standpoint.

Personally, I wouldn't want a Big Ten champship game, because the traditional Michigan-Ohio State game would probably be dropped, since those two would likely be put in seperate divisions. A fluke loss to an Illinois or a Wisconsin might negate a UM-OSU head-to-head matchup. I'd rather kick Indiana, Minnesota, and Northwestern out of the conference. :)

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Also, I would like to see the Big 10 and Pac 10 adopt a championship game the same way the other major conferences have.

So would I. It'd take some major arm twisting to make that happen though. Force Notre Dame to join the Big 10 so it has 12 teams, and find two teams out west to join the Pac 10, say maybe Fresno State and Boise State or Utah/Utah State?

Why the fuck would the Pac10 need to add two teams, or have a championship game? We already fixed the problem - when the schedule went to 12 games, the conference adopted a full schedule. Everyone plays everyone. None of that BS seen in the SEC or the Big10 or Big 12 where schedule difficulty is greatly unbalanced.

There is still the variation where some teams have a lot of home or road games, but that's an issue with the championships as well. (It's ridiculous that the Pac 10 basketball tourney is in LA every year)

I don't think the Pac 10 needs 12 teams and I certainly don't think the Big 10 (or was that Big 11 ... LOL) needs 12 teams because what are we going to call them? The Big 12? Sorry that name is taken. But a conference championship is only good for everyone except those who are afraid to lose and afraid not to be invited to a bigger bowl game because of the risk of the loss. But if top SEC, ACC and Big 12 teams must win that extra game in order to get invited to the BCS title game, why shouldn't the other major conferences Big East, Big 10 and Pac 10 also need to win that extra game. As far as NCAA football is concerned, these conference championship games are something to look forward to.

You can make an argument that the Big10 should play a championship game. Every year someone gets a schedule that doesn't have the 2 powers (OSU, Michigan). The SEC has to do it for the same reason - they only play every team in their division.

But not the Pac. As I said - they settle the title on the field already. Who would you match up, anyway? USC already beat ASU.

Is it unfair to the Big 12, SEC, ACC that they have to play an extra game? Apparently not - they asked for the right to do so and went through the process of getting new members to get to 12. The money earned from this extra game is money they can use to compete.