livendive

Grocery store pick-up lines

So last night this guy comes up to me in the wine section and asks, "Excuse me, could you tell me what's a good wine?" At first I thought it was innocent enough and said something about depends on what you like...red, white, sweet, dry, etc. At this point a rather large store employee came up & stood behind him grinning at me oddly. The guy flubbered something about sweet and red, which I couldn't think of anything, so I asked what he was having it with..."Oh, I don't know...probably soup. I just want to know what's a good wine." So I recommended some merlot as a good starter red and caymus conundrum as an all-purpose white, both in the $25ish range. He grabbed both & was thanking me and something about it suddenly seemed very, umm, wierd. I quickly grabbed a bottle and beat feet for the other end of the store, noticing the store employee following the guy in the other direction.

Sooo...think it was an honest appeal for help? Or was man-chowder the soup he was hoping to pair it with, and the grocer-guy knew it from previous experiences with him? :D Personally, I can't imagine trying to pick someone up at the grocery store, but I'm sure it's been done. Which of you dz.commers have found yourself trying to chat someone up at the grocery store?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I have met some women in the grocery store, But i must say i will talk to anyone so i am naturally chatty. It works both ways, i have 3 women act like they cant lift something and then offer dinner for helping them. But if you felt wierd then this guy must have been a little wierd. We are all old enogh and wise enough to know what is going on in these situations, Some are just talk and help, others are please help me relieve some stress tonight.
I think i'll go to the market right now!
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

If someone has a question that pertains to the circumstances (asking about a good wine while in a wine store) I am usually OK, I just get uncomfortable when strangers spark up freindly conversations without reason unless of course I happen to be sitting next to them in a pub or something like that.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

If someone has a question that pertains to the circumstances (asking about a good wine while in a wine store) I am usually OK, I just get uncomfortable when strangers spark up freindly conversations without reason unless of course I happen to be sitting next to them in a pub or something like that.

I think part of what made it wierd was him asking for a good wine without even the slightest hint as to a direction. I mean even just red/white, sweet/dry, with fish vs. with steak...something! :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The game is always on ;) Women want to be swept off their feet, and if you can do that in a grocery store, the more power for us. Wouldn't that be a great story to tell to your kids one day?

"Daddy, how did you pick up mommy?"
"I picked two bottles of wine that she liked, and the next thing I noticed we were naked in the bathtub" haha

I think part of what made it wierd was him asking for a good wine without even the slightest hint as to a direction. I mean even just red/white, sweet/dry, with fish vs. with steak...something! :D

Blues,
Dave

Sounds like he was a weirdo. I seem to be a magnet for them.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Last week, I was picking out coffee when a woman started a discussion on the virtues of the little can of coffee vs the filter/coffee combo.

Two aisles over, she stopped to discuss it with me again.

:S I'm a little leery of people who are that lonely.

HEY! I was making some good arguments there on the benefits of the filter thing. I don't understand why you kept running away. It's not like I was crazy.... I mean crazy would be leaving the hospital on a motorcycle. :D:D:D

Or maybe it was an undercover 'sting' - wasn't the grocery store on the list of gay meet up places that was posted not so long ago :D:D:D

I have nothing valuable to add to the OP question. I don't chat men up while shopping and I've not been chatted up while there. Bear hugged unexpectedly but never chatted up :D

Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

Good God man where have you been for the last 20 years?
You've never heard of the "Meat Market" for both genders and preferences?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)