psipike02

I wanted to take a longer break, but....

an opportunity presented itself and I applied to Univ. of Colorado Boulder's Grad School Program for Professionals and GOT IN!!!!!!

Soooooo, i start classes tuesday :D

Now, i was so happy to get through undergrad and get on to working and I wasn't even considering school...but while I was trying to align my career objectives the other day, I've been doing some research and decided it'd be best for me to start it now. (Single, young, no family, etc.)

I still have to take the GRE (May 08) AND do well in the first 3 classes I will take as non-degree unclassified student in order to get into the program i want. The prof teaching my class this semester is a guy I would like to be my advisor and mentor as he was an astronaut candidate finalist in 1998 and 2000.

I'm going for my Master's in Aerospace w/ a focus in Bioastronautics, which is something completely new to me, so i'm pumped about my first class.
:)
Wow, I'm actually excited about this!!

But does it completely suck to do school and work at the same time???
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Well . . . yes . . . but I think if you find something you really enjoy (in your schooling), and working is a necessary evil, then it's worth it.

And congratulations! :)

Edited for clarity of intent.

Okay, I'm totally jealous.

1 - You're in Colorado. It has to be beautiful there.

2 - You're in school and working. I'm currently just working but am pursuing my graduate school options.

3 - Are you (or are you not) studying something in grad school that you have no prior formal training in? If so, that's pretty bad ass.

I've taken ONE class while I was working full time... it's doable. Depends how much time you waste in your car driving around...

Quoted:

In a word, yes. However, it is completely doable with some time management...which I am sorely lacking in.

I am 30 with a wife, a 3-year old and a 3-week old. I work full time with an hour commute each way and do school full time (set to graduate in May of 2010!). Thankfully, the university is centered around adult learning and I do most of my courses via email and independent study. The unfortunate part of this is that one really needs strict time management skills to get through it. The other part is that I travel for my job and can get behind very easily.

Honestly, the hardest part is trying to gear up to do school work after a day at work and an evening of children.

Edited to add: Congratulations on the acceptance by the way. I'm sure you'll do great!

Okay, I'm totally jealous.

1 - You're in Colorado. It has to be beautiful there.

2 - You're in school and working. I'm currently just working but am pursuing my graduate school options.

3 - Are you (or are you not) studying something in grad school that you have no prior formal training in? If so, that's pretty bad ass.

I've taken ONE class while I was working full time... it's doable. Depends how much time you waste in your car driving around...

Hahaahhaha....

To answer your question, the aerospace side of things I have down, so yes I have formal education in that aspect of it and currently work with that too, but my focus of Bioastronautics is about how human and other living organisms function in the space environment and how their physiology can change in that type of environment. Along w/ the study of space habitats and extended space travel.

So there's alot more Bio, medicine, and life science attached to it now, so that i'm not familiar with....

And my commute is right up the street 10 mins, so its not too bad...

Don't be jealous, come join me!! :)

Oh and thanks everyone for the congratulations!!
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Have fun! I spent many long, dreary nights in that evil building in Boulder. Just wait till your first day of class when you have to find ECAE 1B23 or something like that. I swear they designed that building just to weed out people who can't find the classes. A cold shiver runs down my spine everytime I'm in Boulder and catch sight of that building.

Seriouslly though, congrats. CU has a great engineering program and some great facilities. I keep finding myself wising I'd gone the aerospace route instead of Civil....

Awright! Great news! Congrats on that. :)
The closest I ever came to that was 90% of my aviation tech degree. :$ Loved studying aerodynamics!

Definitely TAKE ADVANTAGE of your time now! I'm a married mommy and can't even finish that lil' ol degree, let alone push on to finish physics. I'm not mad about it; I'm glad I had an opportunity to do what I did!

You're smart to plan it out though and finish it now while you can. Good luck!! :)

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.