gemini

WTF is this Weird Formation???

Saturday was a beautiful day at Spaceland. Clear skies. very little wind, temp in mid 60's. Not a bad day for January!

After the fourth jump, Tom Jenkins comes up to me and says "Are you going to be here around 3:30PM? We are putting together a 20-way." "Sure, count me in" I replied.

All day jumpers and staff had been coming up to me and wishing me a happy birthday.

Lots of kisses from the women and handshakes and hugs from everyone. Someone jokingly said "Keep count of those kisses!" People would ask me what number I was up to? Lots of jokes about being SOS eligible. Really a great day.

Sometime after 3:30 PM Tom called for a dirt dive and we all gathered around him. Tom and Kim Blood were the first to into the base. "Jim," Tom said "do a backend with me and Kimmey." Damn, I thought. I never should have told him I hated back-ends when I first started jumping!

"Make a large left hand donut off Jim and a big star behind me", Tom said. This is a weird formation I thought. Tom usually sticks with normal formations.
"Ok everyone who is left do a single handed left cat starting here." WTF???

Then it dawned on me.....a 6 and an 0. 60 damn they're doing this for me! Got videographer and staff jumping too! Crap I hope I don't screw this one up!

Geared up, climbing to altitude everyone sang happy birthday and made comments like "better not be the only one low!" "Think you can make it to the formation old-timer?" "Do you want us to wait for you?" "Are you going to be able to arch and stay with us?" "Have you joined SOS yet?"

For the first time in several thousand jumps, I was really anxious about the jump.

Jump went really well considering that we had some people who normally don't do FS. A little rough, but Tom had enough people and spacing in the formation that even with one jumper low and one jumper lost and not docking you could tell it was a 6 and 0. The photos came out great too.

In the landing area, everyone was laughing and excited.

"Jim, come to manifest when you get a chance" came out of the PA.

I dropped my gear and walked over to manifest, never seeing the huge sign that said "Happy 60th Birthday" and stepped into manifest which was full of people....not uncommon on a Saturday afternoon.

As I rounded the corner, I see balloons and a very, very large cake and lots of beer. Uhoh I thought here it comes again. More kisses, hugs and handshakes! More singing. "Whats the number up to?" "I don't know 45 or so." "Well here's the rest"....ended with 63 when someone said "Hey who got sixty" Marianne said she did. "Then you get the free jump!" someone else said....ok now it makes sense!!!

Anyway thanks to everyone who put it together, everyone who jumped with me, and everyone who stayed to party. Special thanks to Fred Clark and Abbey for the cake, balloons, and cards, and Tom J for organizing the dive, and everyone else for keeping the secret.

Aren't you all glad I have a one track mind at the dz? I should have picked up all the clues....duh!!!!

It really was a surprise...the first BD surprise party I ever had...so I guess I now owe you all a beer!

Blues everyone and now on to the next 3,000 jumps and the next 60 years!

Jim

I was at the DZ for about 5 minutes on Saturday, and didn't know or I'd've come over and hugged you.

Glad it was fun

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I was at the DZ for about 5 minutes on Saturday, and didn't know or I'd've come over and hugged you.

Glad it was fun

Wendy W.

They DO keep good secrets there! :P

Happy Birthday, Jim!!!! Great story!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?