Ever owned a "Worst Car of All Time"?

So I've owned two cars from the "worst cars" list without having any real problems, but the worst car I ever had was an '82 Pontiac Phoenix. It never broke down, but it was a serious POS. It's the same as '80-'85 Skylark/Citation/Omega. An old GF had a Pinto, and that thing wins top honors even w/o ever owning one. Before I met her, the GF turned down a free Porsche 356C Cabriolet from her dad and kept the Pinto:S

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

You may want to make a deal for that 1957 Edsel, since they didn't make them until the 1958 model year.

Forbes list says they were made 57-59.:P

I did drive a Triumph Spitfire for many years. Though not the worst car in the world, you had to be very proficient at trouble shooting and fixing it by the side of the road. It was pretty high maintenance, but, damn, a lot of fun.B|

It was a fun little car when it was running, but it was cursed with Lucas Electric systems. If it rained, or the temperature went below 35 degrees F., it wouldn't start.

From back in the day ..........

"Why do the English drink warm beer?"

"Because they have Lucas refrigerators!"

Peace,
-Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I used to drive an 88 Formula Firebird over the road to LP all the time. It was a great, solid ride but every time I took it over that road it felt like it was going to rattle apart because of the stiff suspension. I totally understand flats on that road. Sure glad it's half paved now.

So am I. I tow a tent trailer down that road. While the Jeep Grand Cherokee enjoys the trip, the Jayco ... not so much! :D:D
'Shell

my father bought a brand new Yugo back when they came out in... what was it... '87 or something like that. what a piece of shit that was. but he was so proud of it. he pimped it out w/ chrome hubcaps and pinstriping all over the place. ugh it was such an embarassment for him to drop me off at school in that thing on his way to work. he let me take it out one night and it got it up to 97 mph on I-17 in phoenix. that engine was so loud. i thought it would blow up. a few years before that when we lived at edwards AFB my father bought an old mail jeep, w/ the sliding doors. he put these big goodyear eagls and racing rims on it. what a dork. no AC, just these pop out vents down by your legs. left hand steering, right hand passenger seat. weird. he painted it navy blue and again pimped it out, like the dork he is. ugh.

my sister had a brown pinto in high school that i later inheritied. never blew up, thank god. it actually wasn't too bad of a car.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

my father bought a brand new Yugo back when they came out in... what was it... '87 or something like that. what a piece of shit that was. but he was so proud of it. he pimped it out w/ chrome hubcaps and pinstriping all over the place. ugh it was such an embarassment for him to drop me off at school in that thing on his way to work. he let me take it out one night and it got it up to 97 mph on I-17 in phoenix. that engine was so loud. i thought it would blow up. a few years before that when we lived at edwards AFB my father bought an old mail jeep, w/ the sliding doors. he put these big goodyear eagls and racing rims on it. what a dork. no AC, just these pop out vents down by your legs. left hand steering, right hand passenger seat. weird. he painted it navy blue and again pimped it out, like the dork he is. ugh.

my sister had a brown pinto in high school that i later inheritied. never blew up, thank god. it actually wasn't too bad of a car.

I guess you should be happy you don't own one of THESE

That would suck.
'Shell

You may want to make a deal for that 1957 Edsel, since they didn't make them until the 1958 model year.

Forbes list says they were made 57-59.:P

Hmmm, no slam on you JM, but I guess Forbes list should have done some better research before posting those 'facts'.

http://www.edsel.com/pages/spotters.htm

The easiest way to know for sure that Edsel's weren't made in 1957, is that they came with four headlights.

Look closely at the front end differences between 1957 and 1958 US automobiles, and it will soon become clear what I'm referring to.

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

My wife had a Ford Fairmont (?) I think, when she was in college. POS car. It died when she was enroute home from college one night. Her dad and brother had to drive 150 miles out to get her.

Good thing she wasn't Found On Road Dead... ;)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I agree with all the cars on the list...especially the Cotroen. What I can't understand is why my first car tank wasn't on the list.
:D:D

'58 Ford Fairlane. What a bomber! It really was a tank. One big block of indestructable steel...well except for the rusted out fenders and floor wells, the brakes that only slightly worked and the oil-burning 292 with the automatic that slipped so badly that jack-rabbit starts were impossible. Oh...the memories of that car.

Running through a sawgrass field one day I ran up on top of a very large wood utility pole and the car was actuall balanced on it with all the wheels off the ground. Not a bit of damage to the car.

Side-smacked, and totalled, a car that was driving with no lights on at night as I pulled out from a stop sign. Flipped it, rolled it and totalled it with only a small streak of paint on my front bumper. I felt like George Patton in that car.
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

They forgot to add 1996 Dodge Neon. Mine cost me ~$600.00 in repairs the last year I owned it.>:( The worst P.O.S. I've ever owned.

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I haven't owned one but there is a 57 Edsel without wheels behind my Aunt's house. :ph34r: Among others...:SB|

I thought for sure my first car, a 79' Nova would be on the list.

I know someone who might want that car.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Lucas - The Prince of Darkness

My 1946 MG has Lucas electrics. Starts fine, on the original starter and original coil. One replacement distributor in 60 years, one new fuel pump, and one generator overhaul ain't bad going!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hmmm, no slam on you JM, but I guess Forbes list should have done some better research before posting those 'facts'.

http://www.edsel.com/pages/spotters.htm

Wow, thanks for the link. I never thought I'd now know so much about Edsels.:D

Can't believe they made them for 3 years. In less than 5 more years they created the Mustang. Talk about a turn around.

Wow, I've had 8.

Ok, actually, 8 of the same variant.

Ok, only 2 of those 8 were the named model year.

1984 Fiero. I've had 8 Fiero's (still have one) and 2 of those 8 were 1984 models. I do agree that 84 was the worst year, but the fact is it's a love/hate car. You either love it, or you hate it. My current one is an 86, and I'm looking at 2 more 87's. Never owned an 88 (last year produced) since it went through a major overhaul for that year, and parts are VERY hard to find.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Fiero GT's were a fun car. I worked at a Pontiac dealership here in Ohio in the late '80s. He had about 75 of them modified into convertibles. They were a blast...once you put the bandaids on your fingers from putting the top down.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Fiero's in general are a fun car! The GT moniker was just that, a label. It got you cool looking rims (honeycomb) and some ground effects. The drivetrain and suspension were exacty the same as any of the 2m6 SE's. In fact, it's been a looooong time since any automaker has made a "true" GT. Hell, look at Dodge with the Charger. I'm sorry, but the Charger in a 4-door is NOT a Charger.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I didn't get to see the list as Forbes has already updated their site.

Anyway, I've owned a lot of cars. I tend to get a new car every 2 years and many times I've owned 2 at once. The absolute worst was a '91 Pontiac Grand Am with a Quad 4 engine. The Quad engine was the higher performance engine. This was at a time when GM was in a real slump and could not compete with the Japanese cars. Always these annoying little shit things would happen with the car like knobs breaking off, blinker lever breaking off. Their electronics truly sucked. As for a breakdown, I didn't have any until 90K miles. My head gasket blew. I do have to admit that Pontiac made good on that though. The car was out of warranty mileage wise but not age wise. They covered everything except $100. I have to give them kudos for that.