ladyskydiver

Looking to buy a digital camera....

I'm looking to buy a digital camera before I head to Ross. What's a good digital camera?

I need to stay in a reasonable price frame - aka under $120.

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Hello stranger. ;)

Best one I've used id the Fuji Finepix F31FD. It's sibling, the F20, should be within your price range and produces pictures just as good.

One quibble with picture quality is a blooming effect with thin branches against bright, white sky. But this doesn't degrade photos enough to say no.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/digitalcamera/overview.jsp?prodCatId=856005&item=I856005&dbid=856005&urltype=overview&NavBarId=I856005

PS : Who's this Ross your heading to ? Your husband ? You must be married by now. ;)

Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

No specific brand to recommend, but make sure you get one which is powered by a lithium battery.
Ask the sales person if it's not clear from the box.

I didn't and regret it.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Hey beautiful! I now have a Canon somethingrather. It's a 7.1mp digital, which is equivalent to 35mm film quality when printed. I know nothing about it other than that, but I do think it's user-friendly. I loved my Sony, but it was 2.0 and dropped a few times, so it was time for it to be retired.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

:o HOLY HELL!!!! Look who popped outta the wood work. ;):P Note to self...ask more geek questions to get Gerb outta the woodwork. :P

Cool! I was looking at the Fuji's but didn't know their quality level.

PS : Who's this Ross your heading to ? Your husband ? You must be married by now. ;)

Ross is the vet school that I'm going to. It's in the Caribbean. :) I leave the US on April 25th.

No husband (or even SO)....and no boy toys (damn it!). :D

Hugs!!!! Hope all is well with you. :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

*wolf whistle* Hey, gorgeous!

Canon's have received good reviews. I'll have to add them to the list. :)
By the way...just about have my trip plans finalized so I'll be able to shoot you a PM shortly on the dates I'll be in Texas. Errr....maybe I should post it so that those who don't want to be collateral damage can get outta dodge. :D>:(:)

*wolf whistle* Hey, gorgeous!

Canon's have received good reviews. I'll have to add them to the list. :)
By the way...just about have my trip plans finalized so I'll be able to shoot you a PM shortly on the dates I'll be in Texas. Errr....maybe I should post it so that those who don't want to be collateral damage can get outta dodge. :D>:(:)

Anything Canon 5mp and up will be good for you, Cora.
Also, I had an HP Photosmart (415 model, I think) It was just a 5.1mp, but damn, I was impressed with the quality photos it produced! So good, in fact, that I hope the theif that has it now is getting his/her money's worth. >:(

Shari, 7.1 might be considered 35mm quality at standard picture size, like 3x5 or 4x6, but the actual quality isn't even close. The new Canon EOS 5d is 12.8mp with a full frame sensor (the sensor is the same size as 35mm film) and even it isn't quite at film quality, but it's damn close.

Like I said, Cora, andthing Canon at 5.1 or better you will be happy with but a worthy note, make sure you get a camera with optical zoom. Those with digital zoom only have lower quality glass with the end result being apicture you won't be happy with.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Also, I had an HP Photosmart (415 model, I think) It was just a 5.1mp, but damn, I was impressed with the quality photos it produced! So good, in fact, that I hope the theif that has it now is getting his/her money's worth. >:(

Shari, 7.1 might be considered 35mm quality at standard picture size, like 3x5 or 4x6, but the actual quality isn't even close. The new Canon EOS 5d is 12.8mp with a full frame sensor (the sensor is the same size as 35mm film) and even it isn't quite at film quality, but it's damn close.

Like I said, Cora, andthing Canon at 5.1 or better you will be happy with but a worthy note, make sure you get a camera with optical zoom. Those with digital zoom only have lower quality glass with the end result being apicture you won't be happy with.

I've got to second the HP photosmart comment. I've owned two of them now and I'm really impressed with the color those little digital cameras get.

I just picked up a Canon digital Rebel Xti (a bit more expensive than you were looking at) and I love the picture quality and the ease with which you can manipulate settings and everything. I used to have a film SLR, but I'm blown away with the pictures you can get with a digital SLR being able to get instant feedback. I can't wait to play with this camera more!

Whatever you get just make sure that it is compatible with your computer - I don't think it is usually a big deal with still camera's but I am having a hard time with our new video camera - just something else to think about.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Whatever you get just make sure that it is compatible with your computer - I don't think it is usually a big deal with still camera's but I am having a hard time with our new video camera - just something else to think about.

Not to get off topic but in what way is your Video camera not compatible?
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Yeah, maybe you should post it... Just to let you know, we can get in to trouble in Texas!! >:( These cowboys aren't as stupid as the guys we came across in Pennsylvania! If you even want call them guys... :o

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

??

For compact film or digital cameras, the lens is the limiting factor. The 6 or 7mp digitals match film fine, except for their handling of highlights (overexposure). And I think it is accurate to say that with digital we can now see the flaws that were present on film all along. I've printed selected 4mp shots at 16x20 and been quite happy with the result.

And that 5D is a generation old, about to replaced, if thousands of drolling camera geeks are right. But even on the SLR side, most lenses don't have sharpness that exceeds the limits of the 8mp Rebel XT.

The problem with the compact digitals now is that they're all cramming more pixels on the same tiny sensor. The older cameras may not have face detection, but they produced cleaner images. I can't find a new compact I'd want to buy, but a lot of 2 year old models that look attractive.

Yeah, maybe you should post it... Just to let you know, we can get in to trouble in Texas!! >:( These cowboys aren't as stupid as the guys we came across in Pennsylvania! If you even want call them guys... :o

:o So you're saying that there are MEN in Texas and not boys? ;) The itinerary is going to be posted this weekend. :)