Squeak

This is a good result for Jeb

Good story. I think the jumping should be allowed, but I also understand why the police are concerned. If I were Mayor, I would find a way to capitalize on this. Hold an "BASEmpire" day or something once or twice a year. It could be a great draw for the city. It could also be a practical way to try new rigs out for "tower escape" ideas, etc.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

i would bet that as well.

Really happy for him!
This sounds like it really has opened up doors for BASE

How so?

Historic case law such as this will set the precedent for future cases. If other jumpers also prove they have the experience and took reasonable precautions in the interest of saety they could get away with it too :)
This means rather than each case being dependent on each individual judges interpretaion of the law they should follow the historic decisions in similar circumstances

From the article...

"...After the failed stunt, the Discovery Channel fired him from a show he hosted called "Stunt Junkies. " Executives said at the time they were "beyond disappointed at his serious lack of judgment and his reckless behavior."..."

I find it interesting that he WAS hired, I would guess due to his unique background...and then fired for the same reason...go figure.

WoW!!! WAY TO GO JEB!!!!

and completely shocking for that judge... wow.....

That's just awesome!!!

CReW Skies,
bubbles
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Historic case law such as this will set the precedent for future cases. If other jumpers also prove they have the experience and took reasonable precautions in the interest of saety they could get away with it too :)

In Florida, there are people who do wheelies down the interstates at 80mph. They also are very experienced riders with professional credentials. They face a combination of jail time and/or huge fines for "reckless endangerment".

Experience or credentials do not allow professional NASCAR drivers to do 200mph on a public road.
The difference is venue. The other drivers are expecting it and trained for it.

A professional BASE jumper could land in an intersection and 6 surprised cars stack up while trying to avoid him.

As the DA said, there does not have to be an "exact" law. A lot of laws are general in nature. The next judge may give him 6 months in jail. His judge may have decided that the DA wore "too bright" a tie in his court and wanted to f- him.

This isn't a legal definition, it was just luck.

Legal is what a judge decides on a given day.

anybody have a link to the judges decision?

I would be interested to see how he decided this is protected by the First Amendment. (NY Sun Article).

Basically, the First Amendment "trumps" other laws, so...

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

Every now and then, on very rare occasions, things actually do change. I'm not saying this is going to be one of those occasions, but it certainly has the potential to be.

The only thing that may change is the money and permits process.

For bandit jumps, somebody is going to specify a law and then put the smackdown on whoever volunteers to be an example.

If there was a legal event with permits to jump and TV advertising money to be had, then it could be done, but then, it would be legal. (Like Bridge Day)

If Jeb pursued it, he could probably phrase it as, "I realize that I should work within the system, so... how much would it cost to do this for a TV show?"

Call it Monkey Day, in honor of the first primate to fall from the top of the Empire State building.
;)

anybody have a link to the judges decision?

I would be interested to see how he decided this is protected by the First Amendment. (NY Sun Article).

Basically, the First Amendment "trumps" other laws, so...

from what i can gather it was put forth as artistic endevour
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

How can jumping during the day when the streets below are busy with pedestrians and traffic not be a potential endangerment? Nobody can guarantee that they will not have a malfunction and unless you clear the area below then surely you are being reckless?
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Court concludes that this defendant's conduct, while dangerous and ill conceived, does not rise to the level of depraved indifference and thus the indictment must be dismissed.

Wonder how many "Get Outta Jail Free" cards each player gets?! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~