LisaM

PS2 Died.....

What a pisser. My son got Madden 08 for Christmas and got to play it like twice before our Play Station 2 just quit working. We had the extended warranty bit it ran out in October.

:(

OH YEAH! And he JUST GOT memory cards for Christmas too. Memory cards that won't work in the PS3 if we go that route. Who can afford all this crap?!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Can you still buy the PS2? If so, it must be super cheap by now. Probably worth it if you've already invested in lots of games and peripherals and stuff.

That said, I guess there won't be many, if any, new PS2 games released now the next generation is out.

And it's not like we played it every day all day. We're talking mabye a few hours a week. And we'd go through waves where it wasn't used for a couple of weeks at all.

It died before we moved. We brought it with us to try it in the new house maybe it was a fluke. Doubtful. Piece of crap.....

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

That surprises me. I knew the old fat ones were pieces of crap. But as far as I knew the new slimmer ones were pretty good.

older fat one owned for over hmmm at least 5 years now. Got it when they came out with them I think. Anyway, works fine, always has. I'm sure I just broke it saying that:D:D
I had an original playstation that worked for like 10 years.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

contact the service number. Just had mine "fixed" they sent me a referb for $46 plus shipping. Also PS2 games and controllers will not work on PS3's the games worked on the first PS3's but they took that funtion away on the latest cheaper units.

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

[sarcasm]Sony is such an awesome company with some very high quality products![/sarcasm]

I choose to stick with PC based games, this being one of many reasons.;)

But some hardware component in the motherboard of my 2 1/2 year old Gateway PC computer is dying as well. I am afraid we are starting to see a trend that the technology we buy in today's world is only made to last a couple of years (we know the auto industry has been doing this for a long time now). We live in a throw away world where constant consumption is the norm. At least with a PC we can back up our data to protect ourselves when the hardware fails. But these gaming consoles appear to be just throw aways.

PS: I am also having a different hardware issue on my 3 1/2 year old Hewlett Packard lap top. But a HP 16C calculator I purchased about 25 years ago is rock solid and will likely last long after I have left this world. Go figure ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

what is it doing? My ps2 gives me "disk read error" or it wont load the game when I put the disk in.
This is an easy fix takes about 20 min
similar?

It won't turn on. Red light is always there.... never goes to green. Never spins the disk.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

contact the service number. Just had mine "fixed" they sent me a referb for $46 plus shipping. Also PS2 games and controllers will not work on PS3's the games worked on the first PS3's but they took that funtion away on the latest cheaper units.

Whoa! PS2 games won't work on the PS3????

Got anything recent that says that? I can only find older articles that says they had issues but plan on firmware upgrades.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Not anymore, just the earlier PS3s had that functionality, but they removed it. If you have to buy all new games then you have to spend more money, right? More money means that maybe they'll catch up with the Wii.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I believe the only SKU that doesn't play ps2 games is the 40 gig.

The 40 gig model doesn't play any PS2 games. The other models in the US do play (some/most) PS2 games with hardware (actual PS2 chip emotion engine built-in). Euro models have a more limited support for PS2 games, since there is no hardware for it and it needs to be done in software.

Sony did lots of weird things with their backwards compatibility, so the above may be wrong. But you can check here what does or does not play:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus