ntrprnr

So I broke down and went to the hospital for my rib "slight crack."

You know, because the pain um... got TONS WORSE...

And my self-diagnosed little crack?

Full Fracture of the 6th Rib, left side.

The extent to which I'm not pleased is not even measurable.

Basics:

No running, 45days minimum. Anyone want my entry to the Miami Half-Marathon next weekend? Was going to be my "comeback" race. :(

No jumping for the next 90 days at least. So glad I had my Repack done on the 20th of December.

I've NEVER broken anything in my LIFE. EVER.

Time to reread Epictetus. He basically wrote that getting pissed off about what you can't change is pointless.

Bet HE was never told he couldn't run or skydive. :(

Oh no. [:/]

Funny how sometimes the body just kinda ... breaks. :(

Did they give you anything to make it feel better or just give you restrictions to make you feel worse?

I hope that breathing gets easier. (for the record, I would much rather have a broken ankle than a broken rib.... I feel for you)

Take care, m'kay?

It'll be good for you. You remind me of my boss when he broke his arm while he was training for Ironman. Well "broke" is a bit of a misnomer - "shattered" is a better term. He figured quick surgery, a day or two off work, and as per his usual he'd power through the pain and be back in business. Oh, he knew the tri was over, and he wouldn't be doing that, but he figured he could continue running and working and life would go on largely as normal.

Hah. Life kicked him in the tush and said "for the first time in your life you are going to slow the fuck DOWN." First of all, I think he felt real pain that he couldn't just push through - that was a major surgery and kicked his whole body for a loop. Massive infection, rehospitalization, IV antibiotics for several weeks, had to basically take a month off work, and figure out how to allow the world to go on without him in it speeding through at a typically frenetic pace.

Guess what? The world didn't end. The company didn't go belly-up, in fact, an awful lot of people (me being one of them, but there were many others) stepped up and filled in. People in his personal life took care of him once he let them. And once he slowed down, so did his body, and it took care of him too.

I offer this as an object lesson to you, Peter. You two are about the same age. Take what you will from it. ;)

But I do hope you feel better soon.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You're so lucky I like you, Krisanne... Otherwise I'd really not like you. :)
No, you're right - Hence Epictetus. I need to learn to chill. Perhaps this will help. Perhaps not. either way, though - everything in life offers a lesson. Whether we choose to learn from that lesson is what determines whether whatever happened was helpful or a waste.

I have broken a rib in the past and they are no fun. Broken ribs hurt and continue to hurt well after the fact. Just take your time getting back to doing all the normal stuff you do.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

:( I feel for you, really....been there a few times. Worst, was when I broke 3 on my left and had a nasty cold, at the same time. Coughing was bad enough but the occasional sneeze, could be deadly! :( All you can do is bind 'em up and deal with the pain...they heal slowly. Congratulations, you're now a barometer! :)
"T'was ever thus."

I've NEVER broken anything in my LIFE. EVER.

Hey! Cheer up! Now you have a built-in barometer like so many of us ;)

I've been broken too may times, but the ribs are the only ones that really forecast the weather B|

Good luck with the rehab. Start some gentle stretching exercises as soon as the pain lessens & you might be able to jump sooner than you think :)
A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

Heal well, Peter. Broken ribs have to be one of the most painful things to break...yeowchers! I've only bruised mine myself, so I can't imagine what you're going through. [:/]

Take care of yourself! It's just your body telling you to take a rest, honey. B|

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

So, do you need anyone to come visit you in NYC and keep you busy? :)

Maybe it's a sign that you do need to slow down a little. Can you do any kind of fitness to help you stay in shape once it starts healing? What about yoga?

I was out of skydiving for 6 months after I broke my wrists snowboarding. The time passes more quickly than you would think. And, you might find something new that you enjoy doing or remember something you used to enjoy doing before you started spending so many hours at the dz or running. You'll have to let us know!

Regardless, I hope you're not in too much pain. I've heard a cracked rib ain't that much fun. [:/]

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon