legalart

News Story re Jeb Corliss Wingsuit Landing

When he matches the angle of the runway, and can 'touch down to it', then the tough stuff begins,,,
I'd guess he had to bleed off his velocity, in a very controlled way..

The last time this was a hot topic, maybe two years ago, Corliss was talking about deploying a small round canopy AFTER touchdown. Much like a drag racer, some jets, or the space shuttle do to bring themselves to a halt. there was also some talk about Bill Booth developing a landing gear carriage of some sort for Corliss' chest, which would include said round drogue canopy. and hopefully some kind of wheels. Otherwise the abrasion and road rash factor could be considerable.

I believe Jeb can do it. And I'm certain that sooner or later, somebody, whether or not it's Jeb, will do it. This IS inevitable. And PF cool, if you ask me...

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I don't doubt that it's possible to do it and walk away from it afterward, but personally I'd much rather walk away *before*.

More power to him--successful or not, it's gonna be spectacular.

Walt

I don't doubt it can be done....even without the ramp. I've become "one" with ol' terra firma several times, sometimes at speeds in excess of 80 mph and with a near vertical angle of attack. Of course, I was appropriately dressed for the occasion. Hell, look at the impacts that Knievel survived! Might not be pretty but I think it can be done.
"T'was ever thus."

I don't doubt it can be done....even without the ramp. I've become "one" with ol' terra firma several times, sometimes at speeds in excess of 80 mph and with a near vertical angle of attack. Of course, I was appropriately dressed for the occasion.

How the hell do you dress for an occasion like that?!!!

Walt

I don't doubt it can be done....even without the ramp. I've become "one" with ol' terra firma several times, sometimes at speeds in excess of 80 mph and with a near vertical angle of attack. Of course, I was appropriately dressed for the occasion.

Walt

i wanna say so bad what I think should be worn, but..... the better of me says NOT to utter it!!! :o :DD

Walt

Lots of padding and high-impact plastic. I never said it didn't hurt. :|
"T'was ever thus."

I don't know how he'd plan on getting rid of the friction heat without igniting himself or becoming a static electric nightmare...

Lots of sprinklers irrigating the ramp. Also, Kevlar has an interesting property in that it's friction increases when it is wet.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I believe Jeb can do it. And I'm certain that sooner or later, somebody, whether or not it's Jeb, will do it. This IS inevitable. And PF cool, if you ask me...

It's not hard. People have been landing wingsuits since the 1920's. It's doing it a second time that's been proving difficult.

Let's hope he puts a bit more planning into it than he did for his Empire State building jump.

I don't know how he'd plan on getting rid of the friction heat without igniting himself or becoming a static electric nightmare...

Lots of sprinklers irrigating the ramp. Also, Kevlar has an interesting property in that it's friction increases when it is wet.

Water with heat friction = hot water. :| If he didn't ignite, he'd scald. B|

I still don't see that working...hmm...well, what material do they use to keep from burning up on re-entry from space? And can this guy afford it? :P

HEY! I've got it! A giant sproingy cargo net! It would have to be huge...and smooshy...and then he'd have to hope like hell that his neck doesn't end up in just the wrong position when all of the force comes to a head before it snaps back...

Yes. They could catch him in a sproing-idy net set at an angle and many stories tall. B|

Edit to add: or he could just use a fucking parachute.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

You know I do believe that it is possible, but highly imporbable. Even Jeb in the news report said he will have a way to abort if he can't hit the ramp. And I also understand the physics behind how he intends to land. I just wonder how much friction there will be between his body and the ramp when he hits it. He is either goind to need some serious padding, either that or make the ramp one really long inflatable slip and slide.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

You know I do believe that it is possible, but highly imporbable. Even Jeb in the news report said he will have a way to abort if he can't hit the ramp. And I also understand the physics behind how he intends to land. I just wonder how much friction there will be between his body and the ramp when he hits it. He is either goind to need some serious padding, either that or make the ramp one really long inflatable slip and slide.

I'd say part of the trick will be to make sure that is body does *not* hit the ramp.

edited to add:
Let's say his horizontal speed is 100mph and downward speed is 40mph. I think the biggest challenge will be bleeding off the horizontal component.

Walt

If the ramp has a bunch of water jets, kinda' like a giant slip 'n' slide, it'll cut the friction.

No friction = no stop. :D Screw the tailhook...he would transfer that vertical speed into even more horizontal speed and shoot off the end like a hot wheels race car coming off the loop. B|

Then he'd need -holy shit- he'd need a big piece of silk, or nylon, or ZP of some sort attached to him via high-tensile lines and a harness...

AWRIGHT! You avoided landing with a parachute to create the need to land...with a parachute. :|

:):P

I'll say that with enough time, ingenuity, and money, I'm sure it could be done. But for me, it wouldn't even be worth flipping on a TV or clicking on a link to see it. Just completely uninteresting. There goes that .0001 cent revenue the media could have gained from my attention. :S:ph34r:

-but speaking of the physics of this jump, where the hell is Kallend when you need him?!? :S:D:P
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Gee, use your imagination!

If it were *me*, my ramp would have one end starting with a slope that matched my wingsuit's glideslope and would have water jets. Then the slope would gently decrease and the other end would slope up so that gravity would decelerate me.

Only I'd make the far end of the ramp short enough that I'd still have some speed left over when I hit the end so that I would go flying off. Then, I'd do a triple front flip (pike position) followed by a front layout with a full twist, then I'd splash down cleanly in the swimming pool that I had below.

Everyone would think I was really cool and I would tell them it was easy!B|B|

Walt