LisaH

Hey mom! C'mere and look at all of the kittens

One of my little sisters "found" a cite little black and white kitty with a bushy tail while visiting a friend's farm.
Then the kitty's mom found my little sister. Yup, she got sprayed.
A few years later we did get a pet skunk that was descented when I was a kid. It lived for about 4 years and then came down with distemper and had to be put down.
Pet-wise, they are very much like cats ... independant, curious, playful and sometimes devilish.
Zing Lurks

One of my little sisters "found" a cite little black and white kitty with a bushy tail while visiting a friend's farm.
Then the kitty's mom found my little sister. Yup, she got sprayed.
A few years later we did get a pet skunk that was descented when I was a kid. It lived for about 4 years and then came down with distemper and had to be put down.
Pet-wise, they are very much like cats ... independant, curious, playful and sometimes devilish.

Are they anything like ferrets? Sorry to hear you lost your skunk friend.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

One difference between skunks and cats ... our cat never ate my mom's geraniums.
On the other hand, our skunk never beat up the neighbor's dog like my cat did regularly.

Hmmm, guess we had some pretty strange pets when i was a kid. We had a dog who hit a car ... and totaled it.
Zing Lurks

Can the lil' ones spray too?

Ready, willing and able from birth.

In most states capturing wild ones is illegal not to mention ill-advised, so the ones sold as pets are farm raised.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

My mom actually had a pet skunk growing up! :o Apparently they can be descented. :)

My dad had a pet skunk when he was growing up as well. He said it was descented, but like ferrets, it still had somewhat of a foul smell.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

:ph34r:

My mom actually had a pet skunk growing up! :o Apparently they can be descented. :)

If that is true, I'd love to have one. :)

They sound sweet! I wonder how many skunk pets are named "Flower." :)

I wonder how many are named "Ass Crack.":P
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

They sound sweet! I wonder how many skunk pets are named "Flower." :)

I wonder how many are named "Ass Crack.":P

I take it you haven't seen Bambi?

Actually I have. I always applauded the hunter's efforts. :)
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

:ph34r:

If that is true, I'd love to have one. :)

Yes - they can be descented - but it's about 95% effective - they still stink and they are not always "agreeable" with their surroundings.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hmmm, guess we had some pretty strange pets when i was a kid. We had a dog who hit a car ... and totaled it.

Holy shnikeys...B|

I'm thinking of that pic of the girl walking this gigantic dog in the park. Fuuuuuuck.... Now where is it? :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The dog was a huge German Shepard who weighed about 130-plus pounds. We had to keep him on a chain when he was outside because he was so big and scared people, despite the fact that he was a big baby and never bit anyone. My mom used to joke that if a burglar ever broke into the house the only danger from the dog was that he'd play the burglar to death.
The neighbors down the street had a little terrier who would torment our dog by grabbing his bones and then running just out side the reach of the chain. Our dog learned to hate that terrier after a few abrupt stops at the end of the chain.
The terrier also liked to chase cars down the street, barking all the way.
One afternoon, we were out in the yard working with my dad when the girl down the street drove off in an old Plymouth station wagon ... big fins, lots of glass and chrome trim.
As she came near our place, the terrier bolted into the street, barking all the way and failed to notice our dog.
Baron, our dog, saw the terrier and took off like a streak after him, but the car got between our dog and the terrier. Baron was intent on the terrier and failed to notice the car.
The first point on contact was our dogs head hitting the Plymouth about where the front fender meets the front door, bashing it in and the windshield exploded. The dogs body then spun around and hit the rear door of the wagon and bashed it in with glass and chrome flying everywhere. All the glass on the right side of the car broke too and both doors were bashed in and sprung so they wouldn't open.
The bent front fender cut into the tire. It went flat and the car swerved into the curb and bent the wheel under.
We, my dad and a couple brothers and my mom were watching this all happen and we were aghast at the carnage. We figured Baron was dead, but no, he struggled back to his feet and sort of loped drunkenly back to our yard. You could almost see the stars and tweetybirds circling around his head like in the old cartoons.
My dad went to look at the dog to see how bad he was hurt, but other than being knocked silly for a few minutes, his only injury was a broken off fang tooth.
The car could not be driven away from the scene and had to be towed. It was an old enough car that the insurance company decided to total it.
The next day, my mom called the insurance company and told the agent that our dog had run into a car and killed it.
The conversation went something like this.
Agent, "Now calm down, lady. Don't you mean that your dog was killed by the car."
Mom, "No, I said my dog ran into a car and killed it."
Agent, "So, the dog is dead?"
Mom, "No, the dog is fine. The car is dead."
Agent, "You mean to tell me a car hit your dog and the car lost?"
Mom, "No, I said my dog hit the car and the car lost."
Agent, "Lady, if you've got a dog big enough to run over a car and kill it, there's no way I'm coming over to your house to look at it."
Baron lived for about 8 more years after the wreck and died of old age with that broken off fang still in place.
Zing Lurks