BirdWoman

Horizon organic milk...

Doesn't really taste like milk. :S I bought a container of it yesterday 'cuz it wasn't much more expensive than regular milk, and there is something about it that is different. Neither my husband nor I can put a finger on what is different about it. Does anybody know what I'm talking about??
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

I would venture to say you're not tasting the hormones and antibiotics to which you've become accustomed. I noticed a different taste for the first couple of cartons, but now regular milk tastes different to me. I do know this... it sure lasts longer than regular milk. Prolly no help, just sharing.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Doesn't really taste like milk. :S I bought a container of it yesterday 'cuz it wasn't much more expensive than regular milk, and there is something about it that is different. Neither my husband nor I can put a finger on what is different about it. Does anybody know what I'm talking about??

No additives in the cow, no additives in the milk? :)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

That makes sense though. I have also noticed that the organic "cage free" eggs are not only better looking but are better tasting...they taste like eggs! Same with fruit and veggies. Maybe there really is some truth to this organic stuff.. ;)

"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

I would venture to say you're not tasting the hormones and antibiotics to which you've become accustomed. I noticed a different taste for the first couple of cartons, but now regular milk tastes different to me. I do know this... it sure lasts longer than regular milk. Prolly no help, just sharing.

took me a few gallons to get used to the "different" taste...now, cant stand the non-organic brands. and, it is amazing how long it will stay fresh.

I worked on a dairy as a kid. The grain fed to the cows had antibiotics plus hormones to increase milk production. I'm not much of a milk drinker, but when I buy milk, Horizon is usually it. The non fat actually tastes/looks like milk, not light blue water. They add extra milk solids to give it the mouth feel of milk with at least some fat. Now whole milk leaves a greasy feel on my tongue.B| I can also taste the difference.

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I work for the foodservice broker for White Wave (parent company of Horizon). Billvon's got it.

We also represent Organic Valley. Try some of their milk to compare. Organic Valley truely supports the small family farmers. Farmers need to be "organic" for (I think) 7 years (or around there) before their products can be certified organic. They really take it up the arse those 7 years during transition. Also, everything is regional. So the Organic Valley products in your grocery store are produced in your region. If you lived in New York, you're not buying milk that was produced in Minnesota. That could be why it tends to last longer.

On a side note, if you want to give Silk organic soymilk a try, let me know. I'll mail you a bunch of $1.00 off coupons.

i too switched to Horizon. I am a pretty big milk drinker, but i didn't notice the difference in taste. I LOVE Horizon though.... I'll never go back to non-organic milk or ANY dairy products for that matter. Good for you for switching!