Rudderow

ABSINTHE

I have a fountain set (with 2 glasses and 2 spoons) AND two unopened bottles of Absinthe (the real stuff).

edited to add:
does anybody have any Absinthe drink recipes? The stuff doesn't taste that great by itself. in fact, I dislike it enough that I may be willing to part with it.

as a matter of fact, I think I will get rid of it.

edited to remove ad

PMS #165 Swooo #613 CSA #687

I always wanted to try the stuff. Went a little overboard and got the whole fountain set and since I was ordering it from the UK, I figured I'd get (3) bottles so I could try a couple different kinds. Well... turns out I'm not a big fan.

And you feel the rules about not posting ads in the forums dont apply to you because?

And you feel the need to point this out for what reason?

Well he IS a former moderator and knows the rules, or thinks he's still a moderator, but without all the cool tricks... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have a fountain set (with 2 glasses and 2 spoons) AND two unopened bottles of Absinthe (the real stuff).

edited to add:
does anybody have any Absinthe drink recipes? The stuff doesn't taste that great by itself. in fact, I dislike it enough that I may be willing to part with it.

as a matter of fact, I think I will get rid of it.

Blaspheme! I shall burn you at the stake! May your first child be a feminine child!:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I personally do like it.

I've tried it with friends and I didn't mind it. I agree that it doesn't make you hallucinate, but its definitely a different type of "drunk" almost euphoric in my opinion...

At least I noticed a different b/w that and the feeling I get from other drinks.

Mix it with some sugar and burn the sugar and its actually pretty good....STRONG but good...
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

That's how your "supposed" to drink it. Ice water in the fountain. It drips onto the sugar cube which is on the slated spoon over a glass of Absinthe. The ice water dissolves the sugar into the drink and the cold makes the absinthe turn cloudy. It looks cool when you prepare the drink. I just don't like the licorice flavor.

Yeah what you do is take a cube of sugar and put it on a spoon. Put a few drops of absinthe on the sugar and light it on fire.

You'll need a slotted spoon also. As the sugar melts from the fire, it'll melt through the slots into the absinthe and stir it in.

I might suggest 2 cubes or 3 as you know its strong...hah

Or you can just take the sugar and pour cold water over it into the absinthe.

It will turn a milky green color.

That one works as well too...

Read them fully here:

http://www.drinknation.com/bartending/absinthe-ritual.php

Doing either of these, it'll still be pretty strong...but probably better than the poo taste you experienced :D:P
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Yeah what you do is take a cube of sugar and put it on a spoon. Put a few drops of absinthe on the sugar and light it on fire.

You'll need a slotted spoon also. As the sugar melts from the fire, it'll melt through the slots into the absinthe and stir it in.

Just dont do what we did in a college dorm one summer and used the slotted spoon + lighted sugar cube on one of them plastic red cups... unless you also like your absinthe taste like burned plastic :D

And you feel the rules about not posting ads in the forums dont apply to you because?

Well he IS a former moderator and knows the rules, or thinks he's still a moderator, but without all the cool tricks... ;)

Perhaps he should realize he is a FORMER moderator and stick to that game plan.

Wow, for a newbie you're awfully mouthy.

Wow, for a newbie you're awfully mouthy.

I have been sent here to straighten out the people that need straightening out.

And yes - you are on the list.

I don't see what the hype is about Absinthe, it tastes like poo.

Do people still actually think it's a hallucinogen and that's why they want it? There seems to be some stigma of being cool if you have a bottle.

I think that the cool factor comes from the famous artists and writers who made it popular in the 1800's-1900's. And probably the legal status in the US has given it a more taboo feel than other types of alcohol.

I don't know about it being a hallucinogen. I read a book of letters written by Arthur Rimbaud, and he describes being in a state of madness and hallucinating after drinking it, but I think that he had been drinking all day long for several days before he got into that state, so I got the impression it was the excessive alcohol causing him to hallucinate rather than the type of alcohol he was drinking. But who knows...

I can't drink the stuff, no matter how it's prepared. It just turns my stomach.

And ... who the fock are YOU? :P