bch7773

Does your DZ use student Wings?

I haven't gotten to see a student Wings in person so far. Do any DZs use them? And how does the students and instructors like them? Are they better or worse then other student rigs you've used?
I'm especially interested in them being set up for static line... anybody used them this way?

And to be clear, I am refering to STUDENT Wings. That means they are set up for Static line or AFF. I'm not talking about the standard Wings.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I was really impresssed with them. Not sure how much is standard and how much is options -- the adjustable laterals were great, the hip rings made wearing the rig and bending very easy.

The only down side I saw is the main lift web adjustments have no markings or slots to set each size

Put an Aerodyne Solo main canopy in it and you have a great set up --- the Solo doesn't seem to want to stall for those "I just flared at 30'" kind of first jumps.

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

We have 4 here on our team for student training.
They are set up to do either SL or AFF (ripcord or throw out).
We have about 200 jumps on all containers and they have worked fine.
No issues at all.
I think we made a good decision when we replaced the older student rigs and went with the Wings model.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

When I was going through AFF at zhills I used a Wings container with a Navigator 300. It felt small! Im a big guy at ~250lbs 6'2" so it was like a backpack. (Their big boy rig)

I did 1 or 2 jumps on a different container before I got in the wings and the first container actually HURT for one reason or another. Maybe the brisk openings on the PD 280 that was in it but I digress...

Once I was in the wings it was very comfortable, user friendly as the AAD is right behind the jumpers neck so It can be accessed/seen by an instructor while the student has the rig on, and the reserve pin is easily accessible.

Also, a terminal reserve dump while back to earth opend nicely so I hear. I was going for a jump and an AFF student did just that so I had to wait for an hour for the rigger to get a new handle and put the rig back together.

The picture below is a "Picture" taken of the TV screen of my Graduation jump so its pretty low quality. But in that I'm wearing the Wings,Nav300.

Conclusion:
More comfortable, Felt more secure, Easier for student/instructor (AAD acess).

Mind you im still an 18 jump wonder that hasn't jumped in 2 years. :P..........:(

My local DZ has 4 student Wings so I did all my training on them and I loved them! I hear everyone complaining about how uncomfortable student gear is - well I would love to put my canopy back in one of those things! (Have an older, VERY uncomfortable container at the moment).

I'm 5'4" and not skinny (75kg) and one of the students at the moment is well over 6' (maybe 6'3" or 6'4") and skinny as a toothpick but the Wings containers fit both of us!

Highly recommended at our DZ! :)
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

It is commonly used in Finland - almost every dropzone has Student wings in use - SL, IAD and AFF. All versions have been just working remarkably well. I believe Student Wings beat easily all the other student rigs - they are comfortable to use, give the student a good freedom of movement, are safe (especially as an instructor and S&TA I give a great value to Wings Reserve pilote chute - it has the best drag available and gives the reserve unbelievably fast and secure deployment even in a slow speed deployments)

I recommend this piece of equipment to all responsible DZ's to use.

OoPee
S&TA, SL/IAD instructor, Tandem I/Examiner

"Have fun - be safe!"

I've jumped the one Student Wings they have at the Ranch right now, and I refuse to use a Telesis anymore... I wait for the Wings to come down and get all packed and readjust it to fit me. Being 5'5", I appreciate the additional adjustability over the Telesis immensely.

Side note: I also prefer the Nav 200 they have in there as opposed to the 220 in the Telesis:P