RastaRicanAir

Do REAL MEN use girly IM abbrevs. like "OMG?"

Call me an old fart, a caveman or an English language fetishist. It's all somewhat true, and nicer than what I'm usually called.

But I still refuse to use "LOL" much less any of those other cutesy abbreviations that I feel are serving to render our already suffering language and written communication within it completely FUBAR. Sure I'll throw a "U" instead of "you" into a text, or employ a "WTF" if I'm in a hurry to say "What the F*CK!" (Even "WTF" seems more expressive and masculine than "OMG")

But if you catch me using something like "IMHO" or "OMFG," you can rest assured that I'm suffering from some clear psychological SNAFU.

Besides, has anyone ever really read a message in all of cyberspace that actually left them R-ing O T F, L-ing their MF-ing A O?
What's left for us truly dedicated rant-ologists to turn to when gross hyperbole becomes commonplace? I say spell it out! I mean, you're already taking your eyes off the road and one hand off the wheel. Might as well push the envelope.

Anyway, if you can recall my original question, feel free to respond.
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

:D

Are the emoticons OK?

A couple years ago I started a thread that asked the question if people write ROTFLMFAO, are they actually rolling on the floor laughing their fucking ass off. I'd search my posts for it, but I really don't care.:P

This thread made me laugh audibly while sitting on the couch. At no time did I fall on the floor. :|

Textspeak or SMS is a new language and it is being accepted more and more.
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/11/09/asia/AS_ODD_New_Zealand_Text_Exam.php

To me it's a logical quicker evolution of language. This is why 133t never caught on, thank God. :S

So WTF? GIY & GWTP. :P

Besides, once speech recognition technology becomes better it'll be moot. You can communicate in your way and it will be translated for them to their way.

23 skiddoo!!! :P

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Besides, once speech recognition technology becomes better it'll be moot. You can communicate in your way and it will be translated for them to their way.

A scary thought! I cut and pasted what you wrote and ran it through one of those web-based free translators ... from Enlgish to Spanish and then back again.

The result:

This thread of spiral did laughter audibly to me whereas it seated in the sofa. I never fall in the floor. Unimpressed
http://www.iht.com/...ealand_Text_Exam.php
to me is one more a evolution faster logic of the language. This is the reason for which 133t never took ignition, it thanks for God. Crazy
So WTF? GIY AND GWTP. Machihiembre
in addition, once the technology of the recognition of speech becomes him is better debatable. You can communicate of your way and will be translated for them to your way.
skiddoo 23! Tongue-piece

B|

Text messages on cell phones are an ok place to use the abbreviations. E-mail and other written communication should be written observing correct spelling and grammar.

I have an ulterior motive for my statement. I can't figure out too many of the abbreviations in use today, even with the use of the urban distionary. My daughter is a better source, but that has led to hysterical laughter on her part when deciphering some of the more sexually oriented ones for me.:$

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Dude!!! Is that MR Bean in your avatar?

ROFLMAO!!! ;)

I've also heard Pee Wee Herman.

Surprised no one has said Jason Biggs. :|
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Besides, has anyone ever really read a message in all of cyberspace that actually left them R-ing O T F, L-ing their MF-ing A O?

I doubt it. In fact, I'm even sceptical about reports of coffee spat out all over monitors.

I hate seeing text-speak in emails, but I guess I'm an old fart too. There's a good case for it in SMS, since you're restricted to a certain number of characters per text, and texts cost money. So that's a tradition as old as telegrams (STOP)

The worst thing is when people (seems to apply mainly to the older generation) make up their own text shorthand and you end up with messages that are completely incomprehensible!

About the only abbreviations I use are IIRC, YMMV, or some other 4 letter or more abbreviation... All the exclamations and cuss words get spelled out in full regalia, and anybody that doesn't like it, can shove it up your ass! :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

This thread made me laugh audibly while sitting on the couch. At no time did I fall on the floor. :|

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/11/09/asia/AS_ODD_New_Zealand_Text_Exam.php

To me it's a logical quicker evolution of language. This is why 133t never caught on, thank God. :S

So WTF? GIY & GWTP. :P

23 skiddoo!!! :P

So - the computer will know what a Britzkey is?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Real men don't give a shit.

ok, I don't give a shit and really don't think about it.

of course I imagine there are a lot of tough guys in the Army/Air Force/Marines/Navy/etc that are regularly subjected to what I like to call the alphabet soup. For example when I started in my current position in March of 2007 I was introduced to the PACE and AIM-E programs and it took a good 3-5 months to figure out what each of these acronyms actually meant...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I hear ya on the military acronyms. I went active duty in October and have spent much of my time since then trying to figure out what the hell everyone's talking about. True story, my supervisor's first tasking for me was to "get on the AFP and take the CBT on the DTS and GTC, and then get trained to be the new UFPM." :|

The best things in life are dangerous.