wilcox

changing a skyhook to a normal rsl

I know these ways to pack a skyhook is common:
*properly installed skyhook (if jumper wants skyhook)
*properly installed skyhook that is disconnected from the riser (if jumper doesn't want skyhook)

But how about
*removing the red line only (if jumper wants an ordinary rsl or if jumper doesn't want to use rsl at all)

Is there anything that makes these two methods not recommended?

I'm curious as to what situations a standard RSL would be preferable to a Skyhook. I can understand no RSL being preferable to any RSL in certain circumstances [I.E. CRW], but a standard RSL over the Skyhook?
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

name one reason an ordanary RSL has an advantage over a skyhook?

personally i think ordanary RSL's are dodgy but a skyhook is terrific!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Ahh, your not limited to one rig manufacturer.;)

personally i think ordanary RSL's are dodgy but a skyhook is terrific![

Well, thousands of jumpers made thousands of jumps on thousands of RSL's and they saved how many lives? Probably never know.:)
Just what do you think is dodgy?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

It doesn't have a hook on the bridle that if installed incorrectly can cause a total.

Is it possible to install a non-skyhook RSL so that it can cause a total?
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

if you have a rotating mal and chop while on your back then there is a chance that the reserve pilot chute can come betwen your legs, wrap with somthing and cause complications the skyhook eliminates this problem.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

The comments in regards to a Skyhook potentially causing a reserve total are addressed in RWS PSB#20031203. The upshot was that some Skyhook-equipped rigs (manufactured in late 2003) may have had the Skyhook device itself installed backwards. RWS mandated an inspection as a result of a rigger in the field discovering an improperly-sewn Skyhook. To quote from the PSB:

...if the Skyhook hardware were sewn on the bridle backwards during manufacture or subsequent repair, (with the pointed end of the hook facing the pilot chute, instead of the bag) then you would tow your reserve pilot chute if deployed in response to a main total malfunction. As the instructions state, this pilot chute in tow can be fixed by pulling the yellow RSL tap. Remember, this situation can only be caused by an installation error at the factor, or during a rigger repair of a damaged bridle. It cannot be caused by a packing error.

I hope that clears things up.

I forgot to change the last sentence when I edited my first post... and if someone would prefer an ordinary rsl is an other debate. Just to make my question it a bit more clear:

How about removing the red line only, is there anything that makes this method not recommended?

if you have a rotation mal and chop while on your back....

I was spinning on my back under a small stiletto and had a beautiful skyhook aided reserve deployment. I was at line stretch horizonally - quick with perfect line groups (no twists). I can't wrap my head around your concern. If you are spinning when you chop the centrifical force causes you to move laterally away from the spinning main. The reserve pilot chute launches after this lateral movement starts (at the point your risers release) and it would seem to me that there is little chance the pilot chute being anywhere but overhead (not relative to the ground but in line with the orientation of your body.
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

... there is little chance the pilot chute being anywhere but overhead (not relative to the ground but in line with the orientation of your body.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree with you, but for different reasons.
After my last cutaway - from a violently spinning 118 - I watched my reserve pilot chute disappear past my right elbow.
I was mighty glad to see it go!
I think RSLs are a good idea (with Skyhook being the best RSL) because they eliminate hesitations between cutting away and pulling reserve ripcords. If a main is spinning violently, it may take 20 or 30 seconds to "unspin" your brain. Few parachute malfunctions allow you to freefall for 30 seconds after cutting away.

>Is it possible to install a non-skyhook RSL so that it can cause a
>total?

Modified Racer RSL's have caused hung risers/hard reserve pulls, so it's possible. Any RSL, if incorrectly routed or attached, can cause a cutaway failure.

if you have a rotation mal and chop while on your back....

I was spinning on my back under a small stiletto and had a beautiful skyhook aided reserve deployment. I was at line stretch horizonally - quick with perfect line groups (no twists). I can't wrap my head around your concern. If you are spinning when you chop the centrifical force causes you to move laterally away from the spinning main. The reserve pilot chute launches after this lateral movement starts (at the point your risers release) and it would seem to me that there is little chance the pilot chute being anywhere but overhead (not relative to the ground but in line with the orientation of your body.

i think you misunderstood me, I like the skyhook very much but do not like the ordanary rsl, there is a chance of an entaglement with the reserve bridle! not fun.

skyhooks eliminate this problem.

t: I'm not seeing your logic - can you explain, please?

as i said before if you have a rotaing mal on your back there is a chance of the reserve pilot chute being tangled with your body. as it just pops your reserve. when you are in dead air on your back. i have a friend whos reserve pilot chute came between there legs on a tandem because if the rsl. this was in africa.

also if you cutaway and only one riser releases (this happens from time to time for various resons) then you get a main reserve entaglement, tandems are not allowed to have rsl's attached (with the exception of skyhooks)in New Zealand for this reason we had a fatatlity a few years ago

I disagree with your physics.

If you cut away from a hard spinner, you'll be "thrown" away from the departing main (centripetal force, anyone?) and will have airflow travelling up the length of your body - just as you would with a "normal" cutaway. In fact, with a "normal" cutaway with an RSL, you'd have more of a "dead air" effect. I don't see any way it could be "dead air" from a spinner.

I could see the possibility of a tumble/entanglement, if you don't get a clean cutaway - all the more reason to do your 3-ring maintenance every 30 days!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It doesn't have a hook on the bridle that if installed incorrectly can cause a total.

It would have to be wrongly installed at manufacture, i.e stiched wrong, not just misrouted. That could apply to any RSL.
--------------------------------------------------
Practise the 6 P's!

It would have to be wrongly installed at manufacture, i.e stiched wrong, not just misrouted. That could apply to any RSL.

Really? How?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Maybe We're misunderstanding each other...

As far as I'm aware you can't cause a skyhook total by a packing error.
You would have to sew the hook on incorrectly, which would take either a rigger or be at the time of manufacture.

Then it could produce a total, by causing a reserve pilot chute in tow. Although its not strictly a total as a release of the rsl shackle should sort it.

Anyway my point was any RSL can be misinstalled by someone, you don't necessarily need a hook.
Practise the 6 P's!

And my point was it is a more complex system to manufacture causing the chance of a mistake to be higher.

Bill's idea is genius, and it is no wonder that RWS has been VERY careful as to who is permitted to install one.

As good as the SkyHook may be, it a) is a more complex system, and b) is not some sort of "miracle" device.

:)

Set incorrectly by whom ? the rigger ? the mfg ?

Safe Rigging !!!

Installed = a manufacturing function.

Assembled = a rigging function.

I never said a normal RSL can't cause a total (though I think you'd be hard pressed to find a way to with the single lanyard system), I simply answered the question "name one reason an ordanary RSL has an advantage over a skyhook?"