dannydan

Morning SKY planets!!!! WAY COOL peeps

to put in perspective just how FAST the earth rotates (somewehere about 18000mph?) and how fast time flies, When I posted just a few minutes ago, the planets were about 1 and 1/2 fists above the horizon, and very visible.... So I go back inside the HUT to grab my vidcam and BAM.... No longer visible b/c of the sunlight bleaching them out....

Way cool shot for the buff that is into astro stuff!

If yr interested, GET up and peek tomorrow just before dawn and LOOK LOW.... very low to the ground.... Well just above ground!!! hehe!

VENUS is the BRIGHT one and then MERCURY is about a thumb width (as you extend yr arm out) to the SSW of VENUS or about the 8oclock position...

Thanks for the post. I saw what you were describing on my way to work this morning and it was nice to know what I was looking at. I plan on taking an astronomy class in the spring, but right now, I don't know much of anything about what I see.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I get to see them in the morning just as I'm backing out of the driveway. My daughter took a pic with her phone but I have no idea how to get it here. That said it got her brownie points in Science.:)

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

RIGHT NOW in east central Illinois as I look SSE I see Mercury about 1deg at 8oclock to VENUS!!! in the morning dawn sky.....

ABSOLUTELY beautiful!!!B|B|

I'll have to go take a look seeB|.........Earth rotation oh, around a lil over 1000 mph at the equator.....:)

According to Jack Horkheimer, it's Venus and Jupiter.

YOU are a WINNER:) I was ASSuMEing that it was Merc because of the dist to the planet from our horizon... i havent looked at any of my astro maps in probably 18-24mos!.. Kinda glad no ones life was dependent on my post!!;)

SO please allow me to "stand corrected" in that what I stated to be Mercury is not but in fact Jupiter below left of the planet Venus!

I have never seen Jupiter that low in the sky before (i've been looking through scopes since 1996) so I ASSuMEed that it was Mercury because Mercury is ALWAYS hard to 1-see and 2-hard to catch anytime of the year in my location! But i was damned EXCITED thinking that it was Merc and Venus sittin like that!!!

Supposedly the crescent moon and Jup/Venus are to meet and form a triangle, I think if I heard that right, this coming Friday morning...[:/]B|B|B|

HEY PEARL....

Thanks for the post. I saw what you were describing on my way to work this morning and it was nice to know what I was looking at.

Sorry but I was wrong! :( But I am straight now, and now you are to!B|

HEY ralph MOUTH;)...

My daughter took a pic with her phone....That said it got her brownie points in Science.

VERY COOL Dad!!B|B| WooHoo! Tell her I am sorry for the "MisInfo" and if Her SciTeach didnt catch my mistake, then SHAME SHAME!!! Take Her out of that class....;):D:D:D:ph34r:

edit to add Actually the "tripod of celestial stuff" is predicted for MONDAY the 4th at 0630 CDT NOT this coming FRIDAY the 1st...(did my own research this time)
skymap pic inclosed....

Here is a skychart~map for my coordinates Champaign, Illinois, 40.1131°N, 88.2650°W

My timezone is CENTRAL... And this MAP is for January31st 20080 630hrs CDT

If you PRINT this picture out, you can use this to help find yr way.... Just make sure that you hold it so that the N is to the (obviously) NORTH ABOVE YOUR HEAD and then it ALL comes into view!

I'll have to go take a look seeB|.........Earth rotation oh, around a lil over 1000 mph at the equator.....:)

How fast does the earth spin?
The speed at which the earth spins varies upon your latitudinal location on the planet. If you're standing at the north pole, the speed is almost zero but at the equator, where the circumference of the earth is greatest, the speed is about 1,038 miles per hour (1,670 kph). The mid-latitudes of the U.S. and Europe speed along at 700 to 900 mph (1125 to 1450 kph).

MAN.... I really SUCK at presenting info!!![:/]>:(:( I dont proof~read too well, I actually meant 1800, but would still have been WAY OFF! THANKS beerlight guy!:)

HEY PEARL....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the post. I saw what you were describing on my way to work this morning and it was nice to know what I was looking at.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry but I was wrong! But I am straight now, and now you are to!

Thanks for the correction. I guess maybe I need to take that astronomy class for sure. ;)

POPS #10490

I get to see them in the morning just as I'm backing out of the driveway. My daughter took a pic with her phone but I have no idea how to get it here. That said it got her brownie points in Science.:)

Easiest way is to have her text it to your email address. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

HEY ralph MOUTH, VERY COOL Dad!! WooHoo! Tell her I am sorry for the "MisInfo"

First off I'm a female>:(

mouth
Personal Information

My bad....:| One of the first profiles I never looked at before replying! arghh

I am kinda thinking that this thread was damned from the start.....:(:|

Can I make it uP to you MOM by giving you a pass to my DREAM "BOOGIE PARTY" with ALL of my other friends???:o:)
LINK TO my "BOOGIE DREAM PARTY";
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3105736;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

RIGHT NOW in east central Illinois as I look SSE I see Mercury about 1deg at 8oclock to VENUS!!! in the morning dawn sky.....

ABSOLUTELY beautiful!!!B|B|

I don't know what you're seeing dude.... I too live in Illinois :|
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

hahahhaahhaaa I started to reply with..." if yr waking uP after 6am then yr too late!".... But decided to read the link and look at the post time! Hell in my area I couldnt see my hand for about 15minutes earlier....

Which reminds, I need to go shovel out my sleeping bag! ANother GREAT night for sleeping out!B|

I am not out there Pearl to get uP early to watch the sky dear! I am out there because I am "crazy" in alot of peeps eyes, and so I need to maintain that perception! PLUS,:S;) like I said somewhere in here over the last few days, once i get over that temperture change hump, I am good with "old man winter"

I would much rather be in warmer climate so I could get jumps in (shortly after HIGHSCHOOL graduating of the baby 2009, this will happen WooHoo), but since there is nothing I can do about the COLD, and while I am still able to, I will enjoy my romp with nature in Her cold "elements" any time that I can!!!

There is absolutely nothing that comes close to wakeing uP in the morning with a dusting to 1' of powder on ones nose (not in or uP;)) to be invigorating to the "soul of surviving the elements"...

YeeHaw.... Just waiting to get my ass off this glorified arcade/typewriter!:P;);)B|:ph34r::ph34r:

Cool....or should I say cold? I don't see that you are any crazier than the rest of us. I sure haven't minded the cold on those few occasions when I've gotten to jump so far. Every one of my 5 AFF jumps has been in freezing temps. Actually, the only time I feel the cold is between the time the door on the plane opens and I climb out. I'm a little to occupied in the air to even notice. You are actually sleeping in a sleeping bag, not in a tent? I have always preferred that in the summer, but I don't know about winter.

POPS #10490

You are actually sleeping in a sleeping bag, not in a tent?

Last week when we had our -air temps and -windchills and tonight yes! Two nights ago when we had our 40-60mph straight winds, I was in a tent!

I am sorta like SPEEDRACER and His "cave" mind! ALthough I don't look at my deal as "claustorphobic", it is more of this, A tent is good for rain, and mosquitos/snakes/creepy crawlers.... Other than that i want open space! A tent is NOT gonna protect me from a bear, mtn lion or a tornado! etc

It's nice to see someone else who thinks that way. I did get off the ground mighty quick one time when I looked at the ground above my head and saw a nifty looking scorpion ambling by. Me and my sleeping bag slept on a cot that night!!! ;)

POPS #10490