ederen

Playstation 3 - Skydiving

Now here's something you don't see every day:

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Games/Go_Sports_Skydiving

Press release:

Go! Sports Skydiving™ is a skydiving simulator that uses the SIXAXIS™ wireless controller to twist, turn and pull off tricks. The easy and intuitive motion control allows you to move through the skies into various skydiving team formations or solo tricks with the greatest of ease.

Did anyone we know work on this thing?

-Eric

K, so I downloaded a 130-meg gameplay vid. Looks like a good game for me, but I doubt most people would enjoy it. I think it's only a Japanese release right now, so you'll have to pick it up on eBay or something (for probably $200 after the exchange rate). Some of the readouts are Kanji, but most are english/numeric. According to the PS3 store, it will be available in English sometime this month (February).

Looks like three modes - one 4-way (belly) mode, one freestyle mode and one accuracy mode.

Belly mode - four-way team does brief hand-slap in the plane, then jams in the door (no floaters, but the point-guy has a head-jam). One brief shot of someone that looks like they are floating, but the next shot, everyone's inside. Then a really good exit (Airspeed would be jealous), and you play one slot, where the computer tells you where to fly to. Start at 12,000 feet, and red zone at about 3-4,000 feet. The faster you get to your slots, the more points. After each point, it tells you the name of the formation (meeker, satellite, etc), which is VERY cool for people like me that need to learn that stuff. I think you have to pull at a certain time, and you get red-flashing and buzzing near pull-time. In the demo, the guy routinely pulls at like 600 feet, and I guess the rest of his team bounce because they are still in freefall at that point :D I think the FAA's gonna have heartburn, because the whole team punches a few small clouds. No need to track away in this game, either - your team's nice enough to let you pull in place while they suck it low (I wanna be on that team :P) The computer counts your points, so no cheating :) Also, the team does some cool tricks, like barrel rolls between points. No collisions when you are flying around your team, and no burbling or funneling, but maybe in the next version. The tunnel flying looks the same, but just a tunnel background, rather than an outdoor background.

Accuracy mode, you jump at 3,000 and redzone is about 1,200 feet. If you pull really low you get bravery points (not cool! >:() Next, you maneuver your canopy to an accuracy pit on a really lovely beach island. It would be cool if there was wind and a sock, but there's not, but there is a groundspeed readout. The demo guy did a 270 hook-turn at 150 feet to hit the target - doesn't look like you lose a lot of altitude in turns, despite the toggle-turns.

This might be a good excuse for me to get a PS3 :)

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD