alanab

ACL reconstruction surgery

wow, thanks for the tons of good info! i guess it just sucks to think im not going to be able to exercise until june. im gonna get fat sitting around for 4 months. i have a small house with no stairs, so it will be easy to crutch and hop around.
my mom is coming in from ohio to take care of me for the first week, and im gonna try to make it my goal to be able to drive by the time she leaves, cause i have no way to get to work after that... or to my PT appointments for that matter!
i guess not skydiving doesnt bother me that much, its exercise and hiking, climbing, backpacking that i hope to be able to do agin by this summer.
how long until you were able to jog again? now that you are 100%, can you straighten your leg as much as your good leg? right now, mine is at about 99% straight, but that little difference makes a huge difference in how it feels when im standing up. do you still have pain? can you kneel down on your bad knee?
thanks again!

They had me jogging about 2 months post op (I HATE to run).. now I find myself looking forward to that part of my trip to the gym the most now!!! Every doc and PT is different. They might clear you to be back in the gym earlier than me; I have "double joints" (aka hypermobility) in my knees so regaining the stability and control took longer than someone who's legs "Bend and flex" normal wouldn't have. I can move my leg as well as my good one now. (because of the hypermobility I can even still hyperextend it.. not that is always a good thing!! I was coming up out of the drugs post op and the first thing that I asked the docs was if my 2 legs would have the same degrees of flexation; I didn't want an unmatched set. They took extra care to make sure that while setting my ACL graft that the legs both moved in the same fashion...) My leg was cooked about 15 degree all the time prior to surgery and I had to work HARD on getting that flexation back; lots and lots of stretching. Standing in one place was the hardest thing for me; I did all my xmas shopping power walking, if i missed it on the first pass I'd circle again and come back for it! I still can't kneel very well on that knee. I think that is the final frontier for it. I'm snagging the BF's rig to pack it this weekend to give my fingers some workout; this will be the test for me on if its "healed" enough to pack his rig!

I made the mistake of not pushing my PT for clearance for the gym. He made the assumption since I'm a single mom and work full time (and not if fighter shape) that I didn't belong to a gym. I made the assumption that he would tell me whe nit was clear to do xyz regardless of if it was in my lifestyle or not. So it was at the 16 wk review that I asked him about the gym and he gave me the thumbs up. He said that he would have cleared me right around the 3 month mark if he had known.

Yeah I was really sick of the pain by the time I had surgery: May to Sept is too long!!! But the pain after surgery was worse.... It gets better though. It really does! I hardly have any pain now; mostly a stiffness (new england winters BLOW) and one thing that developed from all this is this "popping" or "cracking" of the joint (like cracking your knuckles). My joints all crack my whole life; but never my knees. Now my left does and the right doesn't; its a byproduct of scar tissue, double jointedness, and all around "angry body syndrome": its pissed at me for frapping off the mock up!!!!

: )
"My soul is in the sky" - Shakespeare