bigway

weed worse than ciggys

Well, I heard my trusted radio station have a preview to their news report coming up while i was in my car. I never listed to the rest but am sure it has been proven and will probably make network news if it was on this station. There must be something for them to go nationalwide in this country.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

yep its true, i read it in new scientist. i dont have the article to hand but it was pretty specific. weed is way worse for SOME carcinogens than ciggarettes and not so for others but overall is worse than cigarettes.

edit: im a die hard new scientist fan, so if they print it...i'll probably believe it.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

I'm sure that there is some truth to what you heard on the news; I was just saying that I don't think it's the whole story. It certainly seems that (percentage-wise) cigarette smokers get lung cancer a lot more than marijuana smokers do.

Though I guess with the info you mentioned, you'd have to compare people who smoke one joint a day for x amount of years to the same amount of people who smoke 20 cigs a day for the same number of years, and see how many from each group end up with lung cancer. And (assuming other factors in their lifestyles are reasonably similar) then we might have a better idea of which one is more likely to cause lung cancer.

Maybe thats what they did?

Maybe, but without seeing what sort of research they did, it's hard to know how much validity to give it.

From what I've read about "weed being worse than ciggys," it was about them finding more carcinogens in marijuana smoke than in tobacco smoke. But they weren't finding that marijuana smokers got lung cancer more often than tobacco smokers. Which could possibly be explained by the fact that some researchers have found that the THC in marijuana may actually inhibit cancer.

Who knows... With any kind of studies involving human health, there are just so many variables that it is pretty much impossible to prove anything with even close to 100% accuracy.

Using a bong removes a lot of the nasties.

You can also buy "carcinogen offsets" now.

I'm waiting for the crime offsets.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I know they've found that marijuana smoke contains a lot of carcinogens, but they've also found that THC has properties that inhibit the growth of cancer cells. Which might be one of the reasons that marijuana smokers seem to be at less risk for lung cancer than cigarette smokers are (judging by the number who actually get lung cancer).

I have read this as well. And I have also read that weed makes cells die quicker and they are unable to reproduce defective cells. But the tar is much heavier in the lungs.

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

A friend of mine is a respiratory therapist. I was surprised to learn that he smoked pot. He said that weed when smoked thru a water pipe actually had some positive benefits and increased the flow of oxygen thru the lungs etc.

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

I suppose it depends how the weed is consumated. Usually it's mixed with tabacco and that smoked without filter I can see is not very healthy. I have heard about a bong being healthier but I am not so sure if the water can absorb the impurities in the gas fast enough to actually have an impact.

The fact that most weed smokers hold their breath after taking a puff whereas most smokers breathe normally when smoking may have some effect on that.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

A friend of mine is a respiratory therapist. I was surprised to learn that he smoked pot. He said that weed when smoked thru a water pipe actually had some positive benefits and increased the flow of oxygen thru the lungs etc.

That sounds strangely akin to McDonald's posting the nutrition content of chicken McNuggets. Apparently, they ARE healthy! :o -you can get 100% of your daily intake of potassium if you eat 137 of them.

Or sum' like that...
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

both have negative effects for your health and both smell really bad and each cost you alot of money that you really just burn.. nothing positive to either in my opinion.

Ganja does not smell bad.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I suppose it depends how the weed is consumated. Usually it's mixed with tabacco and that smoked without filter I can see is not very healthy. I have heard about a bong being healthier but I am not so sure if the water can absorb the impurities in the gas fast enough to actually have an impact.

Only Europeans mix weed with tabacco!!!!!!!;):D:D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Only Europeans mix weed with tabacco!!!!!!!;):D:D:D:D

And only Europeans consummate their weed. :D

(Sorry, Hausse. We have to poke fun at you. :P)

"joints dont have "Filters" which is why they are worse."

That's why I use a bong.

Smart to admit that on a public forum! :)

That sounds like you dont really mean it? I have no idea why it would be a problem admitting it in a public forum.... It is legal to smoke in many countries these days and also legal to grow.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store