mamajumps

best inexpensive anti virus software

I don't have virus software on my puter. I just go to antivirus.com every now and then, and use their free 'Housecall' virus scan. seems to work for me.

You REALLY need to get something.... that's like fucking your way around the neighborhood and going to see the school nurse every now and then to make sure you're ok.

AVG antivirus
AVG anti-spyware
Windows Defender

All free.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'd also toss in a rootkit scanner if you've been online for a while and had any detections in the past for anything at all. McAfee has a free one, AVG does too. Just run the scanner every time one of the other programs finds something to make sure it didn't drop a rootkit too.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'd also toss in a rootkit scanner if you've been online for a while and had any detections in the past for anything at all. McAfee has a free one, AVG does too. Just run the scanner every time one of the other programs finds something to make sure it didn't drop a rootkit too.

That's a good point!! I think one of the progs I use has a rootkit scanner...it may be the AVG anti-spyware...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I shitcanned NORTON>:( products in 1999....Hooked uP with ESETs Nod32 and have NEVER looked back!B|

I also use;
SPYBOT (mainstay)B|
HIJACK THIS
CWSHREDDER (dont hardly use anymore)

99% of the BEST ANTI anything on the planet can be found here;

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php

Wanna talk "GEEK", the oldtimers of a couple years ago, were/are the b*mb at identifying and fixing so damned fast its crazy! I wish I could have a 1/3 of their brains!! The FORUMS are an EXCELLENT source for info and fixes!B|

I am building from scratch a new puter and won't be changing any of my ANTI programs at all!B|

Dont get me wrong, i dont solely just use these guys, I use a combination of sources to stay as current and on top of it as possible.. But Merjins crew is my first goto... It has been pretty cool to watch all the indivdual geeks come together and and then house themselves under Merjin...

Most those sites and expecially magizine articles tend to rate or shape the tests to shine the best light on their larger advertisers or sponsors ;)

i completely agree with you. now that one is really is independent. you can tell because the "big ones" are never ever in the top.. :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

You REALLY need to get something....

I too have no AV or AS software on my computer.

It's very puzzling to me, so I guess this is my opportunity to ask (everyone in this thread.)

What is it that you are doing that the AV or AS needs to protect you from? Why don't you learn how to stop doing those things?

I use ZoneAlarm for Firewall, and Anti-Vir for virus, plus a spyware checker. Seems to be working pretty well for me, and they're all free for individual users.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

It's very puzzling to me, so I guess this is my opportunity to ask (everyone in this thread.)

What is it that you are doing that the AV or AS needs to protect you from? Why don't you learn how to stop doing those things?

isnt that obvious? surfing way too many pr0n-sites..

:o:|;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

isnt that obvious? surfing way too many pr0n-sites..

:o:|;)

My early AV/spy-adaware/hijacking usually came from email attachments, or (mainly) web page REDIRECTS)... I just became really cautious after a few incidents that almost wiped my hdd clean and almost unbootable