mamajumps

best inexpensive anti virus software

whatever you get, DONT get norton or mcaffee.. i like bitdefender, cheap, good.. but that one might be not so well known on yer side of the pond..

congrats on your shiny-new laptop! :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

You're gonna have to get more specific than that. If you are concerned about system performance, you may want to go with something less aggressive than Symantec.

If you are *only* concerned about viruses and don't want an antivirus that is part of a large suit, then your choices are wide open.

If you want something that will handle your firewall, antivirus and antispyware needs then that narrows down the field a lot.

What do you want? If you do not really *know* what you want, then I'd suggest software that does firewall, antivirus and antispyware.

If you get more specific about your needs I'll give you more detailed suggestions.

Walt

Microsoft Defender (free anti-spyware) just removed a pesky bug that AdAware didn't touch.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

what has been said previously...AVG, spyware and virus versions...free...

What he said, but to be absolutely clear about it, AVG antivirus and AVG anti-spyware are two separate programs. If you want protection from both, you have to download and install two separate files.

Right now I have Zone Alarm and Ad Aware on there, but looking for good coverage so that my lappy lasts me a while. It was a gift from my sister, Lord knows I could never afford to buy one, let alone replace it!:)

Zone Alarm is a great firewall and I did some beta testing for them using Zone Alarm Pro, which also does antispyware and antivirus.

If I weren't so hooked on Norton SystemWorks Pro, I'd definitely use Zone Alarm Pro. I currently use Zone Alarm (free version) for firewall and Norton SystemWorks Pro for antivirus and system utilities. Norton and Zone Alarm done play seamlessly together but I haven't encountered any problems other than Norton complaining that the firewall is shutoff.

Walt

you're making me miss Sygate Firewall...>:(
fucking big companies with more money than creative initiative...

I'm with you on that. I want to choose "best of breed" applications. I'll gladly support companies that produce great stuff rather than use free downloads that aren't very good.

I like Zone Alarm. I was disappointed when they started making it into one of those "one size fits all and solves all problems" solutions.

I never tried Sygate but we have seen a number of good companies either get swallowed by bigger ones or go out of business. Not good for the consumer IMO.

Walt

Try Avast

It's free if it's not for business use. I've loaded the free version on more computers I care to remember and never had any comebacks.

Having a slight conscience, I actually paid :o for the professional version for myself and am EXTREMELY satisfied.

Avast doesn't slow down your system like Norton or McAfee & catches more bugs than NOD32 ever did.

Good luck with the choices :)

A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

You would be fine to go with AVG, like many others here suggest. I'm an admin and have deployed AVG across our entire network with no major conflicts or resource usage issues. Our version is a network version with extras and is licensed, but it is essentially the same as the free version which is more than sufficient for your purposes. It catches viruses before they are even accessed by the user in many cases requires little (if any) interaction once it is installed.

Remember that anti-virus is different from anti-spyware--you will want to have both. Someone here suggested Microsoft Anti-Spyware...I couldn't agree more. It's also free (as long as you have a licensed copy of XP/Vista) and works quite well. Some paid software does both anti-virus and anti-spyware, but why would you pay if you didn't have to!

My suggestion...go FREE and use the saved $50 for TWO SKYDIVES!!!!

AVG Free (use this link to save you about 10 or so clicks/advertisements):
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/downloads?prd=aff

Hope this helps...