theriel

Newbie - safety of skydiving

Hello,
I am a total newbie, never jumped off an aeroplane, still wondering why you would that if the plane is alright etc...

Basically, as probably the majority of people - I feel really bad when the distance between myself and the ground is big. So I thought that the best way of fighting my fear would be... to try skydiving ;). I know that I won't be able to jump off a plane, but I think that will be my instructor's problem, while tandem jumping. Later I might think about AFF course...

I came here to ask you a question about the safety of skydiving. I know that this is extreme sport, there are deaths etc... BUT:

If you follow all the necessary procedures, do not try to do anything sophisticated but merely jump off, free-fall, open the parachute at the safe altitude and land -> in such a situation, is the risk really significant? Is the amount of people suffering serious injuries while merely amateur-jumping really big?

If I wanted to do AFF later on - do you believe that a trained person, jumping in the conditions which a given centre regards as acceptable, following strict procedures, is under serious risk?

I am a sailor, diver etc. The thing e.g. about diving is -> obviously, it is a special environment, obviously there are injuries etc. But it is easier to die in a car accident than find a person who got injured while following all the procedures. In majority of cases it is the bravado, laziness in checking the equipment or ignoring small problems, which cause problems.

What I am also worried about in skydiving is an improperly or negligently packed parachute. Does it happen often? Is the packing method quite permissive, or a small mistake can be very serious afterwards?

[P.S. Feel free to post your own beliefs and opinions or whatever you have heard or read. None of the information as a legally binding expert information etc.]

Thank you for your help!

Theriel

What I am also worried about in skydiving is an improperly or negligently packed parachute. Does it happen often? Is the packing method quite permissive, or a small mistake can be very serious afterwards?

[P.S. Feel free to post your own beliefs and opinions or whatever you have heard or read. None of the information as a legally binding expert information etc.]

Thank you for your help!

Theriel

I'm new in the sport, just got into it in September, so I won't speak to much of what you asked and leave that for the more experienced.

About the parachute however, that's why you'll be wearing two. My instructors told me to assume my main was going to fail. Maybe I'll pack it wrong, maybe it'll any number of malfunctions. It will be my training in emergency procedures that will allow me to save my own life.

The reserve parachute is packed and inspected by highly trained riggers, it's as certain as anything on this earth to operate properly.

Double malfunctions can and do happen however. There is always at least some risk in throwing yourself out of an airplane.

Skydiving is an extreme sport and not for everyone. It has margins and it has safety, as well as tragedy. Small mistakes can have grave consequences.

Most of all, you will be expected to accept that risk in exchange for the thrill, the friendship, the community, the lifestyle, the awesome times you will have.

If you stay inside the envelope, skydiving is and can be a pretty safe and rewarding experience.

And like many things in life, even if you do everything right, you could still end up ordering pizza with your tongue for the rest of your life. Or worse.

Learn a lot, don't take stupid chances, pay for the safety gear, follow the rules.

Have fun
TK

Dangerous? YES
Risk manageable? YES
Risk completely reducable? NO
Can you do everything right and still die? You bet!

I know a guy who has made 14000 jumps.
I know of folks who have died on their first jump.

Rewards… immeasurable!!!!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I am a sailor, diver etc.

You shouldn't skydive for at least 24 hours after diving.

Before I started, I tried to find the risks involved from statistics posted for various sports, etc. Statistically, looks like skydiving is about as risky as riding a motorcycle. I ride 10,000 - 15,000 miles a year, so I figured skydiving was a comparable risk. Others may disagree.
Alton

"Luck favors the prepared."

As a diver you'll understand this ... it's the same in skydiving ........ If you run out of air, you can die:P

It's all about risk managment. Go to a DZ, talk to people and then, when you see the smiles on everyones face - you decide.

Have fun and Bon Chance

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Back in 2003 I wrote a book about skydiving that was designed to answer questions such as yours. The book JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy has since been taken out of print after two printings, but it is available as a digital file on the Google Books web site. Keep in mind the data and pricing apply to the United States, and were current in 2003. Go to the link, then at the top of the graphic you will see a drop down menu marked "Contents." Click on the statistics chapter for the answers to your questions about risk. Click on other chapters for even more answers.

http://books.google.com/books?id=1VXVMR3OVF0C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Even dated that is a good reference.

Unfortunately Google limits the number of pages that can be previewed.

As I write this post I am limited to the Overview only, all other chapters are grayed out, and not all of the Overview is available. Up to Page 22 is all I can see, then the back cover.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Self discipline, knowledge about your rig and how to use it, about the techniques to use in free fall. Practice your emergencies procedures and reserve activation...be curious about all facets of the sport. Assist a least one time your rigger packing your reserve. Attend the Safety day at your DZ. Keep current by reading stuff on equipment manufacturer's web sites.B|

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Ive done 300 jumps with no injuries so far. I have a 25 year old work mate who plays football and limps like he is bloomin 80 years old. He has a major ugly scar on both elbows and one knee where he has had major surgery due to football injuries.
If you take up skydiving stay safe. Leave that extra margin for one day when something goes pear shaped.
Open high, Follow brian germains downsizing chart, Use an AAD, good luck

What I am also worried about in skydiving is an improperly or negligently packed parachute.

Ah! I found something someone else hasn't already commented on! :D

Proper packing and equipment maintenance is certainly crucially important to safety in skydiving. That being said, it's a common misconception among non-skydivers that most fatalities or serious injuries are caused directly by equipment malfunctions. In fact, that is not the case; most fatalities and injuries are caused not by equipment failure but by human error by one or more jumpers during the course of the skydive (for example, canopy collisions or improper landing techniques like low turns).

Start reading up, and go to a DZ and start talking to skydivers. Learn as much as you can about the sport so you can distinguish between fact and myth. And if you think this is right for you, come and join us!