alanab

my pc mouse needs help

posting from my ibook..... i have pc problems that request attention

you know when the thing pops up in the bottom right corner for new updates on a windows xp pc, well it did that yesterday, so i installed the new ones. it was a service pack 2 or something of the sort, it took a long time to instal and when i came home last night it was done installing but my mouse wouldnt work anymore. it was visible on the screen but wouldnt move. so i restarted and still nothing, checked the connection, tried different usb ports and even tried a different mouse. nothing worked.... any ideas of whats wrong or how to fix it?

Your mouse probably died. It happens to house pets if you forget to feed them and give them water.

Advice: Dispose of this mouse before it starts stinking.

Purchase new mouse and feed it regularily. Better yet, purchase a cat. They are much more durable and will bring you mice if they like you.
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

[wracking brain]

there used to be with earlier versions of windows I think... some combination of shift and the arrow keys maybe, but you have to have it enabled in the control panel -

Edit: Are you using a laptop? Mouse keys need the full numeric keys I think... :S

Edit: Some people find that SP2 removes their USB drivers... update all your drivers before putting SP2 on...

is there a way to navigate around without a mouse?

Once you learn how to navigate with key commands, I bet you don't use the mouse as often anymore. Its so much easier not having to take your hands off the keyboard and fast (IMO) to simply use key commands. :)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Once you learn how to navigate with key commands, I bet you don't use the mouse as often anymore. Its so much easier not having to take your hands off the keyboard and fast (IMO) to simply use key commands. :)

The secrets of a post whore....

:D:D:D
Scars remind us that the past is real

Actually, yeah, you'd be surprised how much faster that makes everything and then you don't spend all your time dicking around on DZ.com, you do a lot of other stuff...the down side is it still looks like you're spending all of your time on DZ.com since you're able to go through it faster and post faster...*shrug* oh well. :P

That's a pretty weird problem......:S Damn SP2...

Check the microsoft website for any updates for your USB or mouse drivers.

OR.....head down to your local computer store and buy a PS/2 adapter for your mouse. They should be super cheap. Basically you just plug your USB into the adapter, adapter to PS/2 port, and it should work.

Good luck! B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Ah, the days in which I had to tell people with serial mouses to go buy an adapter b/c their serial port and fried its self. And I had to tell people buying a new mouse to get a ps/2 to serial adapter because their computer didn't have a ps/2 port (it was originally an IBM thing and slow getting picked up by a lot of other companies).