blackout

Your kids skydiving

Just wanted to know what people thought about their children skydiving, granted they are old enough. It is a relatively safe sport but still not without its mishaps, would you be accepting of your child's hobby?

My mom is definitely a whuffo and would never jump, but she seems fully supportive of me jumping. Just wanted to know what people in the sport thought about this

I would like to think that by the time i have kids (i'm 27, that's a long way off) and they are old enough to skydive that i will be an instructor and will be able to help them make an informed decision and help educate them about the dangers. But if they want to do it, they must do it. My parents couldn't stop me and i guess i won't be able to stop them.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

...that i will be an instructor and will be able to help them make an informed decision and help educate them about the dangers.

I/we have have been teaching our girls the "DANGERS" of and in life since they were in the womb (so to speak) and soon after they came home from being released from captivity being ing there!!!;)

My kids whom I never really touted them as "being the best" (b4 a few years) to others beause I didnt want to fall into that catagory as a parent, I think I held back just enuf to where they have REALLY grasped the REALITIES by hearing, watching and RETAINING about what to do and what NOT to do within "their control".....

Ellie HAD waited almost 11years to make Her first jump... She has had no reservations about our sport! She is also a very outgoing person that like to hang with us Her parents!

Molly has no desire to jump, but is also a outgoing person that likes to go SHOPPING and hang with Her friends more than She likes being at home...

They are 14mos apart in age! I TRUST them both wholeheartedly with making PROPER INFORMED decisions about and with their own lives....

We have NEVER been the pushy type with exception to staying school, staying away from drugs and being AWARE of "weirdos" that wish them harm either by slippin a micky into a drink or a drunk driver to just the all around NEGITIVEs that society offers to all of us....

Probably very nervous.

I was nervous TOO! We all were... I am MORE nervous everyday that they HAVE to goto HIGHSCHOOL.....

They almost didnt go to England for their first time when they were 12 and 11 yo b/c I didnt have any "control" if something were to happen! After a few conversations with their Mother and others, I came to a decision to let them go on the trip... Now they have been just about everywhere else that most KIDS will never get to goto because of whatever reasons.... Their world is much bigger now because of some "controlled freedoms"....

LIFE is "dangerous"... Just don't go at it "half cocked"

MY KIDS ARE FANTABULOUS:)

I dont go to a church per 'se but ALL of the credit is giving to our God, Jesus and Holy Spirit for making them who they are today and into tomorrow through their Mother and I and others that have influnenced their lives either positively or negitively so that they may SEE on their own....B|

My son (24) has to want to skydive badly enough to pay for his first jump himself. He has about 50 prenatal jumps, and hasn't made a jump since birth...

It's more dangerous than driving and lots of other things, but being a parent means releasing your kids to being the person they're going to end up being. They could join the military, police force, fire department, ride motorcycles, lots of things.

It's their life. We just get to worry about them. That's our job, and we do it well :)
Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

i feel the same way about my kids,,, as I do about ANY close family member...

Once or twice,,,they really SHOULD make a skydive,,, IF THEY want to...

... and in my opinion it should be tandem and it should be with the tandem Instructor of MY choice... hahahaha ( honest)....:DB|

that's how it has been when My daughter, my Son and My wife and my brother all enjoyed their # 1 skydive...... I went with each of them,, but frankly i was a little nervous, and it was NOT just another jump...

would I like to see them "get into" the sport.....???
maybe Not....:|
if as little at a twisted ankle were to occur... i would feel responsible and sad...[:/]

as it turns out each of them was well satisfied
with their successful Jumping Experience, and each has been happy with the one skydive...

jmy

My son has already done a tandem on a jump where I docked on him. I was so nervous, I forgot to undo my seatbelt and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get up. Then, I stood up too far at the door and hit the top of it with my rig. I kinda had one of those "Doh!" cartoon moments with that (it was a Caravan, the door was smaller than I was used to! :ph34r:).

Anyway, my point is yes, I was very, very nervous and even moreso when he said he can't wait to go again. And then he mentioned base jumping...:|

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

12 year old - It'll be her choice (and her money) to do it someday when she's over 18

1 - She has a couple hours (and another hour next month) in the wind tunnel and she loves it and flies pretty well for an infrequent tunnel flyer (once a year).

2 - She has no desire whatsoever today to want to jump. I have no idea if she'll someday change her mind on it.

3 - If she wants to try it then, I'd likely spring for the tandem at 18, but no more. It would be a lot of fun for my wife and me. We'd pick the TM and the DZ though.

4 - If it comes to it and she wants to try on her own and on her bank account once she's an adult - I'd just as soon she saved her money to finish college before even thinking about skydiving. And if we are paying for her college, then we'd have a strong say in that choice also - legal adult or not.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I love skydiving with my children and while I would certainly be devastated if they died doing this sport I would be equally devastated if they died in a car accident or from cancer.

My children love the sport as much as I do and hopefully skydiving like camping helps us stay connected.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

I have a 19 year old son with 12 jumps. Yes its scary to watch at first but I love skydiving and if he loves it, that's great. He's also got a motorcycle, I "feel" like I worry about him more on that thing than skydiving.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I have a 19 year old son with 12 jumps. Yes its scary to watch at first but I love skydiving and if he loves it, that's great. He's also got a motorcycle, I "feel" like I worry about him more on that thing than skydiving.

i'm probably all alone on this here.. but yea, deciding between skydiving and a motorcycle, i feel skydiving to be safer..

i speak from experience. doing everything right, and you can still die. i was lucky enough to walk away from it without a scratch and even lift the bike up. but it could have been a lot worse. my grandmother bought me a car if i wouldnt ride a motorcycle. if i'll ever have kids, or grandchildren, i'd rather pay for a car, or AFF, jumps 'til license and own gear for that matter, than having them ride a motorcycle.. :)

i always resisted, but i always felt the urge to tell my skydiving friends how dangerous a bike can be. everyone knows what happens if you ever fall and slid into solid objects. be that rails that are just high enough for a body to get through, but dont leave space for the head wearing a helmet. usually those are supported by vertical rods that would make a truck stop. from busy roads to many people with varying levels of skills and abilities, there are just a lot of objective dangers out there.

sorry for the hijack! :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Just wanted to know what people thought about their children skydiving, granted they are old enough. It is a relatively safe sport but still not without its mishaps, would you be accepting of your child's hobby?

My kids are now 30 and 33 and have expressed a possibility they will at least try a tandem to see what it is their crazy mom is up to. I definitely support their discovery of my world. I also have a 9 year old grandson who is very interested and I'm really hoping to be on the plane when he does his first jump. When you think about all the things that kids can do with their lives to destroy them through drugs, getting a high from skydiving is a whole lot better than that.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

My mom is definitely a whuffo and would never jump, but she seems fully supportive of me jumping. Just wanted to know what people in the sport thought about this

It's not a safe sport, it's an inherently dangerous sport and considering that the most experienced, capable, and safety concious people have died skydiving I do not want any family member of mine skydiving. My family does not like it that I skydive or participate in the many life threatening things that I have done but they know that I would otherwise not be happy.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

i'm probably all alone on this here.. but yea, deciding between skydiving and a motorcycle, i feel skydiving to be safer..

i speak from experience. doing everything right, and you can still die. i was lucky enough to walk away from it without a scratch and even lift the bike up. but it could have been a lot worse. my grandmother bought me a car if i wouldnt ride a motorcycle. if i'll ever have kids, or grandchildren, i'd rather pay for a car, or AFF, jumps 'til license and own gear for that matter, than having them ride a motorcycle.. :)

i always resisted, but i always felt the urge to tell my skydiving friends how dangerous a bike can be. everyone knows what happens if you ever fall and slid into solid objects. be that rails that are just high enough for a body to get through, but dont leave space for the head wearing a helmet. usually those are supported by vertical rods that would make a truck stop. from busy roads to many people with varying levels of skills and abilities, there are just a lot of objective dangers out there.

sorry for the hijack! :)

I agree 100%. I used to be a real mad biker but not any more. It's the other road users out there that make it so dangerous more so than the bikes themselves. At least half of all drivers dont take a blind bit of notice to bikers at all, I doubt they even think about it as they swerve at the last minute with no signal and the obligatory phone glued to the ear.

My kids are 9, 7 & 5. They all have a huge interest in skydiving and the 9 & 7 year old will read the Parachutist cover to cover every month when it comes out. I hope to be an accomplished AFF/I when they are old enough to jump the first time, so that I can take them, what an honor that would be!;)

Three of my kids have jumped and the 4th is interested. (Two did tandems and the other completed AFF, but then drifted away from the sport.)

I never encouraged them to jump and made sure they knew the risks, but was supportive once they decided to skydive. As a parent, there is never a shortage of stuff to worry about!

Doug

It seems the more you learn about what can go wrong in this sport, the more you worry about close relatives jumping. When I had about 60 jumps my son did a tandem and I was okay with it, and I think I'd be relatively calm if he or one of his brothers decided to do another one, but I'm pretty sure I'd be more nervous now than I was then.

As to them taking up the sport, they're free to make up their own minds, but I won't pay for it.
...Blair.

I share Conundrum's feelings -I don't consider skydiving 'relatively safe'.

That said, my 11 year old daughter wants a pink and purple Barbie parachute for her birthday (16 or 18, it will depend on what/when/where of her FJC) and loves the idea of skydiving and a wind tunnel.

Now with that said, I cannot watch my daughter go out the door. I just don't have it in me. Daddy will be taking her on that jump.

By the time we get there, who knows. Maybe I will have conquered that fear. Maybe she won't care about skydiving -she may be more drawn to being a pilot; she loved flying with mama B|.

If she wants to play in the air or under the water (she wanted to start SCUBA but the local place for kids shut down), we would most likely allow it, but never encourage it. It just depends...
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I've taken my daughter on one tandem. I thought that when push came to shove, I would be terrified. I mean, it's all fun and games when it's somebody ELSE's kid. :D The truth is, from the moment we got out of the plane till I passed out from exhaustion at 2 or 3 in the morning, I had uncontrollable perma-grin. I must have watched her tandem video 20 times that night. :$:D She has a standing offer to make another tandem if she wants (we planned one but got weathered last father's day). Or, she can continue on and learn to jump solo if that's what she chooses. I won't pressure her either way, and if she decides to go for it, I'll cover all her student jumps. That said, I still think I'd be quite scared to release her that first time.

Blues,
Dave

"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Two sons and one daughter, only my daughter expressed an interest and when she turned 18, I set her up with a tandem. She loved it and wanted to continue but ended up getting married and has two little ones now. If she ever decides to get back into it, I'll support her the whole way....even help with her first "bankruptcy starter kit" (rig).
"T'was ever thus."

For my son's 18th birthday he is getting a tandem jump....he is bringing a bunch of his friends out so they can do it together.;)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

For my son's 18th birthday he is getting a tandem jump....he is bringing a bunch of his friends out so they can do it together.;)

When is that? And no, I won't take him if he's wearing a duct tape thong OR eating a banana, much less both. :P:D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

When is that? And no, I won't take him if he's wearing a duct tape thong OR eating a banana, much less both. :P:D

Blues,
Dave

Why not??? I heard you were into that sort of thing - I will keep you posted on dates...nothing set in stone yet...he is my child but he obviously takes after his dad as he is pretty conservative - I embarass him with my behavior frequently:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!