FlyinDawg

Resevre size

if thats a serious question... no it wouldnt be a good choice

some very experienced jumpers load reserves at 2:1 and even they (I think) would admit they are pushing it. roughly speaking load your reserve about the same as your main, and loading it lighter is the side to err on. Reserves are different beasts and provide different landing challenges , plus, you have just had a mal, are lower than usual, less time to think , and may be landing on unfamiliar ground. How much more do you want to stack the deck against yourself? Speak to instructors and responsible gear sellers.

regards

Steve
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

This is a joke? Right?

The other factor - that few skydivers consider when buying reserves - is that reserves are designed considerably different than popular mains.
First of all, most reserves only have seven cells.
Secondly, they are rectangular.
Thirdly, reserve design progress has been considerably slower, largely because they have to satisfy TSO requirements.
Fourth, only a handful of reserves (Raven-MZ)have ever been built of ZP fabric.
Ergo, reserves open hard, glide steep and don't turf surf half as far as popular mains.

There is no such as joke. This is serious question for my future safetly. Once I have seen very skydivers had manflactions and they used 99sq ft of resevere with their body weight more than 150 pounds and they had safe landing.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

The 99 is good for 175lbs in an emergency, but once the emergency is delt with and your flying your tiny reserve you better be on the ball. Flying any little canopy requires you to be way ahead of the game. Reserves that small and loaded that heavily are something else.

my 109-M has only one ride on it, round 6 at an NSL meet. I had talked to PA and I knew how the canopy would perform at a 2 to 1 wing load (208 exit with lots of lead). If I hadn't done my research, talked with a lot of people and had 3000 jumps on 100sqft or less, I would have been in trouble. I had a nice landing in a field next to my freebag, but wow, it was like landing one of my 89fx's..., fast.

the flight characteristics of a heavily loaded 7-cell reserve are not like anything else. the stall was surprising even with the knowledge that I had, I expected more warning. I went back into freefall when the 109 stalled. I tested that immediatly after opening at 1500, only because of my studies.. So I knew that I had to fly the canopy to a certain point and PLF. Thats what I did and it all turned out OK but I am afraid of my 109 now and I pack and perform in ways that put me at least risk with that rig.

To have a rig that you could wear all day and even forget is their you have to give up a lot. You also have to be kinda stupid.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Between this, and you other post, you really need to get your jump numbers, and previous canopy experience posted in your profile.

If you haven't started jumping yet, hold these questions untill after you've made a few jumps. You'll understand more at that point.

Judging by the questions, I would guess your expericne to be either no jumps at all, or very very few jumps. Either way, you equipment ideas are way off base.

Your other thread is asking about a 135 Spectre. Why would you pair that with a 99 reserve? How about a 126 or a 143 reserve? What sort of container do you think would hold a 135 main and a 99 reserve?

Get some experince first, see what it's all about, then worry about buying gear. Improper canopy sizing can and will lead to serious injury or death. It's not something to fool around with.

There is no such as joke. This is serious question for my future safetly. Once I have seen very skydivers had manflactions and they used 99sq ft of resevere with their body weight more than 150 pounds and they had safe landing.

Please understand the nature of the responses you are getting on both this and your question on main canopy sizes.

Based on the nature of your question and the fact that your profile gives us no indication that you have any significant jump experience, the canopy sizes you are asking about is NOT appropriate for your stated weight.

The weight/size combinations you are refering to would be questionable for a HIGHLY experienced jumper, but for someone with less than several thousand jumps of progressively higher performance canopys, it would be highly dangerous.

The combination is like asking if a 16 year old on a learner's permit should have a Farrari.

Until or unless we hear more about what you currently fly and your experience, many people will take your question as a joke with no offence intended.

PLEASE talk to an experienced instructor and/or rigger who you would trust with your life and who personally knows your skill level before buying gear.

J
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Resevre canopy size of 99 sq ft is good for body weight 175 lbs during emgerency?

Thanks! ;)

Assuming you have at least 400 jumps, reserve canopy size of 143-150 sq ft is good for body weight 175 pounds + a typical 20 pound rig. With well over 1000 jumps, Sunrise Rigging, Jumpshack, Mirage, and maybe Infinity will build you a container that will be a good fit for both such a reserve and a fun main canopy in the 100 square foot range.

Without being unconscious or having broken bones after a freefall collision.

Probably not during a night nump.

Probably without landing on concrete or in trees because they had a bad spot, opened at a normal altitude, malfunctioned, and then had insufficient altitude to get back to a nicer landing area.

I picked my reserve size (143, about 175 pounds and change at the time with 600+ jumps and a Stiletto 120 main) based on such a worst case scenario. Since then I've seen worse things happen and wouldn't mind a bigger reserve in spite of being lighter.

Fourth, only a handful of reserves (Raven-MZ)have ever been built of ZP fabric.

F111 fabric doesnt degrade performance. That comes from the canopy shape. The difference is entirely in how well the canopy wears due to use and repacks. According to George Galloway of Precision Aerodynamics there is no performance difference between that Raven -M and -MZ beyond the later being good for more repacks.

PD's F111 cross-braced tri-cells supposedly worked great for the first 500 jumps (which I'm skeptical of). It's a lot better to buy a $200 line set every 500-600 jumps than a $2000 canopy.

Resevre canopy size of 99 sq ft is good for body weight 175 lbs during emgerency?

It beats punching a crater, but you can still spend a few months in hospital after breaking every bone in your body. The people who fly these tiny reserves usually have thousands of jumps and are highly skilled canopy pilots.

And since we're talking about the future as well, there should soon (next couple years) be reserves coming out made with new fabrics that pack down ridiculously small, while opening into big canopies. If you have to use your reserve, it's not a sport anymore, you just want the canopy that works the best for you.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

What about the failure characteristics of ZP vs F1-11? I have been told that F1-11 will rip and stop while ZP will fail completely. I have not seen many blow outs of ZP that havent gone nose to tail. I havent seen any f1-11 blow outs, but I have been told they stay contained.

I know the ZP blow outs I have seen had many jumps but is it worth the added bulk to say it will last longer? How does a reserve with 40 packs on it compare to a new one in flight?

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome