livnbored

need help finding manuals

Hi Walt,

Shut up about trying to impose a 20 year service life retroactively, or issue a service bulletin saying their rigs are not airworthy after whatever time period they choose.

I could not agree more. However, I doubt you or I will live long enough to see that.

I'm really old school; back when a competent rigger could look at the equipment & decide if it was airworthy or not.

And before any of you get going on your keyboards; yes, I know things change.

Jerry Baumchen

Curious, are SBs legally binding for anyone? I thought the determination was that after the certification is issued, it is solely FAA-issued ADs that can add or remove any further restrictions on the gear, so manufacturer issuing an SB wouldn't change the legal situation in any way (within FAA's jurisdiction). Or am I misreading something?
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

Chapman and Baumchen. You guys are both right. I too make the decision of whether a rig is airworthy; and I feel that the FAA letter allows me to do that with those rigs where the manual sold with the rig didn't specify. I just don't feel an obligation to respect the chickenshit attempts to make it retroactive. If it does specify, then I'll follow that for the service life for those rigs.

Repeating my point: I'd like the mfg.s to end the
controversy by issuing a service bulletin. But, as you said, "not in my lifetime". (Considering my age that may not be such a long period of time. Ouch)

Chapman. I'll see if I can get someone to post a copy of my GQ 350 manual with the 15 years service life statement. I am not computer agile enough to do it by myself.

Even if you or someone took a cellphone photo of the applicable page(s) and could upload it or email it (and I'd post it), that would add to what's available online about the rigs.

... Not that there's much demand to pack ancient GQ's anyway, whatever the arguments.

If I remember correctly GQ closed up shop in the U.S. in 1984. By definition any U.S. models are at least 32 years old.

Walt, I'd like to see that manual statement too. I don't believe there is a U.S. manual with it. But they were making the same rig for sale in the UK and elsewhere with sizes in meters. Look in the front for description of the canopy and see if it metric. If so it's a UK manual.

You have my email. If you can take a photo and email it to me I'll get it up here.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE