FlyinDawg

Dozens hurt in Savannah, Georgia sugar refinery explosion

It happened in Savannah, GA; only 30 mins away to my hometown. I pray for them. :S:(

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/07/sugar.plant.explosion/index.html

(CNN) -- Dozens of people were injured -- at least 30 of them critically -- in an explosion at a sugar refinery near Savannah, Georgia, Thursday evening, a hospital official said.

Police and medical officials say the blast at Imperial Sugar in Port Wentworth happened at about 7 p.m.

At least one witness estimated that 200 people were injured in the explosion.

By 9:30 p.m., about 30 workers from the plant were being treated at Memorial Health University Medical Center in Savannah with critical wounds.

"We've seen people that have had burns to their hands all the way to about 80 to 90 percent of their body," said Dr. Jay Goldstein, an emergency room doctor at Memorial Health.

"It was like walking into hell," said Joyce Baker, who was with her husband, a Port Wentworth police officer, at a meeting at nearby city hall, at the time of the explosion.

Witnesses in neighboring towns and across the Savannah River in South Carolina reported hearing the blast and seeing flames shoot up several stories.

A machine operator who told The Associated Press she was on the third floor of the refinery described terrifying moments after the blast.

"All I know is, I heard a loud boom and everything came down," said Nakishya Hill, according to the AP.

"When I got up, I went down and found a couple of people and we climbed out of there from the third floor to the first floor. Half of the floor was gone. The second floor was debris, the first floor was debris," she said.

"All I could do when I got down was take off running."

The damage at the refinery was "extensive" and rescuers were still removing victims from the building, said Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police spokeswoman Maj. Gerri Long.

As family members flocked to the sugar plant, a church across the street was set up for them to wait for their loved ones. Police were urging them to only send one family member to avoid massive crowds at the site.

"We've got so many family members out here just desperate to hear a word from their loved ones," Baker told CNN affiliate WTOC-TV in Savannah.

The U.S. Coast Guard said it had closed the Savannah River around the port and that Coast Guard helicopters were searching the river for anyone who might have been thrown into the water.

The refinery, formerly Dixie Crystal, is the major employer in the town just northwest of Savannah.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

Recently I heard.

Ambulances and emergency workers from 12 counties had been called in to assist at the scene.

12 counties? Savannah in Chatham county is huge. It's must be take some counties emergency workers to drive several hours to get there! :S[:/]

Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

12 counties? Savannah in Chatham county is huge. It's must be take some counties emergency workers to drive several hours to get there!

That is exactly what happens when some sort of major situation occurs. Emergency and rescue personal are called in from a surprisingly large radius.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."